Mcintosh mc30

FWIW folks, Ref: tube socket re-tensioning ..
Iv`e had excellent results for many decades using the large diaper safety pins straightened out while repairing many guitar amps.

It was part of my standard routine for all vintage amps before hosing out all tube sockets with contact cleaner ...

This procedure was most especially important for combo tube amps, as the tubes hang upside down, and not all models had tube retainer clips.

I had SS dental picks too, but they tended to get buggered up using them in that application, so I went the inexpensive big diaper safety pin method back in the late eighties, and haven`t looked back..

I also found dental drill bits helpful for "mildly" scraping out the large tube pin sockets when corrosion was present, as these amps were played in FL., and salt air/humidity were ever present .

Anyway.

Just a thought/suggestion folks.

Take care.

Kind regards, OKB

I too use the large safety pin for retensioning. Works like a charm.

I also use carburetor cleaning needles and brushes to clear them if they are very oxidized.

s-l640.jpg

Well Sir, outside of simply straightening out the large diaper safety pin, the tube socket re-tensioning procedure seems well explained in post 24, and your youTube video in post # 43, that I went back and watched, before responding to your suggestion above..

The MC 30 owner needs to be aware of needing the amp unplugged and PS caps fully discharged, before poking any conductive implement into the tube socket female connections, or practice the one hand safety rule, or leave the amp off for a month !!

Are you wishing me to be redundant here, as I`m typing with one finger ??
Thanks.

Regards, OKB
This post is sufficient to update and direct the OP, thank you for responding.

Thank you all especially Pio 1980. I will definitely buy the tube off ebay tonight and give it a try.
Most likey I will send it off to Terry since the amp needs an upgrade. I don't know how to replace those electronic stuffs such as the bumblebees.

Well Sir, outside of simply straightening out the large diaper safety pin, the tube socket re-tensioning procedure seems well explained in post 24, and your youTube video in post # 43, that I went back and watched, before responding to your suggestion above..

The MC 30 owner needs to be aware of needing the amp unplugged and PS caps fully discharged, before poking any conductive implement into the tube socket female connections, or practice the one hand safety rule, or leave the amp off for a month !!

Are you wishing me to be redundant here, as I`m typing with one finger ??
Thanks.

Regards, OKB
Wow, a month. Ok good to know, I thought after 3 days should be gone since the longest time I have played with it was 15 min

Wow, a month. Ok good to know, I thought after 3 days should be gone since the longest time I have played with it was 15 min

Maybe, the PS caps would be drained enough not to shock the crap out of you after 3 days to a week of being off, however, I don`t know how healthy the caps are, and since the MC 30 doesn`t have bleeder resistors across the caps, they could possibly bite you.
I have first hand experience with original 30 + year old caps letting me know that even after being allowed to drain after 2 weeks can still be very potent !!

PS capacitors are fully charged up in split seconds of powering up the equipment their installed in.

I`d rather be conservative, and not read about you hurting yourself and the amp from an physical reaction due to an unexpected shock..
Everybody`s sensitivity to electricity is different, excabincrew !!

Be careful, and good luck Sir.

Kind regards, OKB

It turned out to be bad rectifier tube. But thank you for all the pouring support figuring out the problems.

By the way, what affordable and good speaker for it? Currently I set it up with a dynaco a25 and tube CD player. The midrange soundstage is wide even coming from a single speaker. However, when it comes to instrumental, it sounded dull?

I have been comparing it with my other system carver mkii 500t and b&w 804,matrix setup.

Back
Top Bottom