Mcintosh MC30s Restoration (Looking for correct schematic)

Also, don't forget that R19 and R 20 , (12K 2 watt), need to be matched to within 1% of each other, and not just 1% tolerance resistors. Very important.

Looks like it is C13.
This version has a lower voltage tap for bias, so a 22uF/ 250V elyticap will be fine here. You could do likewise at C4.
Modern elyticaps are more compact for value than vintage types, a moderate increase is ok and advisable, but no need to go crazy with a huge increase.

I already have sprague atom 8uf. Is the change necessary to start with? Or can I install at 22uf at a later time?

I already have sprague atom 8uf. Is the change necessary to start with? Or can I install at 22uf at a later time?
It met specs with those type, no reason not to use them if you have them.
The 160P caps are generally ok to keep unless known defective.

You really would benefit from the higher value and reheating the terminals to replace the cap later just stresses the metal. Wait f you can, but not the end of the world.

Last edited:
Working on AMP number one tomorrow....

Novice Question: which side of the Vishay SF4007 is the band side like a normal Diode? Which side attaches to the resistor in series, and then to the transformer?

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 11.07.50 PM.png

Working on AMP number one tomorrow....

Novice Question: which side of the Vishay SF4007 is the band side like a normal Diode? Which side attaches to the resistor in series, and then to the transformer?

View attachment 858279
The resistor can go to either end, I put it at the output end, which is the non-banded end for a negative bias source. The banded end would go to the AC source.

Thanks.

In regards to the can cap, it's okay to use the 30uf section in place of the original 15uf, right?

The 40uf is for C12A. Connect the 80 & 30uF sections together for C12B. The 20uF is C12c. That's how I've wired all of mine. Others may do it differently.

Gotcha.

I'll make sure to do that. Should be done with the first Amp tomorrow. i'll post photos!

Of course! Got my variac out! Going to make sure to do the resistance checks beforehand as well :)

IMG_1430.PNG
Question. Here is a picture of my other amp. This big resistor should be a 470pf cap according to the schematic... It's C7 in parallel with R13 (2.2k). Do I take out the resistor and put the cap in place? What am I missing?

Back
Top Bottom