Mcintosh MC30s Restoration (Looking for correct schematic)

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by Tysen, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Tysen

Tysen AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, I'm still in love the macs. They're better than my knight kb-85, and they're better than my scott 296.

I have a 8 RCA 6L6GCs...they seem fine, but i have no way of matching/testing them. Is okay to run them in the amps? Obviously, if they glow funny or make noise that's no good, but if things sound good and the amp tests okay, does matching the outputs matter all that much?

cjwebber likes this.
  2. x3workshop

x3workshop AK Subscriber Subscriber

As long as they are good tubes (not worn out, shorted, etc.) they don't really need to be matched in a McIntosh amp. The unity coupled circuit performs extremely well in spite of potential mismatches.

Bill Ferris and Tysen like this.
  3. Tysen

great. I may need some help sorting the tubes out however.

I have 5 that appear to match....a sixth that looks to have the same innards as the other 5 but is taller...the other two appear to be grey plates. I'll post photos tonight to get some opinions.

4. Tysen

For those that are interested, here are photos of the amps, totally restored!

IMG_1639.JPG IMG_1640.JPG IMG_1642.JPG

Using Telefunken 12AX7s; Amperex 12U7s; RCA 12BH7s; RCA 5U4Gs; and Sylvania STR 415 6L6GCs.

The amps are nearly dead quiet, even with my semi-sensitive Altec 604s. They sound so freakin good.

Just step is to get a MX110z.

Attached Files:

5. x3workshop

x3workshop AK Subscriber Subscriber

Looks good! Bet it sounds great!