Mcintosh MC7106 Amp

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by JerryD99, Mar 13, 2018.

1. JerryD99

JerryD99 Member

I have seen a few of these amp up for sale lately...I thing they would be a great surround sound amp and maybe a good front speaker amp..but have no experience with them. I know mac make better amps but what do you of these for surround sound and center channel.
    Thanks for your thoughs
    Jerry

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Snappahead

Snappahead AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's a great amp for surround sound. You can bridge them for your fronts and still have a channel left for center. I use a 7108 for my TV room system.

3. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

The MC7106 is a phenomenal power amplifier!

4. feinstei

feinstei AK Member Subscriber

I have one that I bridge to three channels for my rear and center channels (I use an MC-275 Mk VI for the front channels). It's fed from an MX-121 and matches very nicely to that home theater controller. It is a superb, clean sounding, and very "tube-like" amp although the lack of balanced inputs kind of sucks. If you have an older McIntosh home theater controller (such as the very fine MX-119 which is what I had before upgrading to the MX-121), you can connect it with a single DB25 cable. I wouldn't pay more than $1400 for one.

5. techguy0192

techguy0192 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've always wanted to pick up a 7106. I like the way the meters were done on these. In my opinion, they look better than the meters in the new multi-channel amps as they better fit the look of HT.

damacman likes this.
  6. JerryD99

JerryD99 Member

Thank everyone that is good news....I am looking to purchase some of these and sell my adcoms

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Velocityboat

Velocityboat Super Member

They can be grabbed at a bargain. They have no autoformers but high dampening factor if woofers are not critically damped get tighter bass. I have one to run rear Surrounds That are XR19s bridged into 8 ohm gives you at least 300 watts spec. Adjustable input level voltage 1 to 2.5 V. Dead quiet amp no eggs frying if speaker sensitivity is high.

A four ohm speaker will give 170 Watts RMS.

Has poweguard and auto switched if preamp is capable.

Driving a 2 ohm load not addressed in manual.
    Can it without overheating?? But it has thermal protection so you can’t kill it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  8. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

We installed Quite a few Klipsch Heritage systems with the 7106 and MX 132/130 and the sound was fantastic. It was a touch bright with Klipsch speakers using the more advanced tweeters diaphragms.. But then all Klipsch can be a little edgy. With more advanced processors you will find the sound will be smoother has been my experience. The volume controls need to be cleaned periodically along with the mode switches. I much prefer the vertical columns of the 7106 versus the fake meters of the 8207 or the 3 meters trying to show the combination of all 6 channels on the 206. Using banana plugs that are gold plated with a center expanding pin will insure trouble free tight connections. We never had 7106, MC 126, or 206 fail.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018