McIntosh mc7205 vs mc252

jmool

As I'm getting away from a 5.1 setup and going to a 2.1 I'm looking at different amp but I also noticed that I have a really hard time letting my mc7205 go for something else. I found however a good deal close by for a Mc252.

Would this be considered as a good upgrade?

Are these amp even in the same league?

More of a side ways move. The 252 has maybe 2 db more power, Both have the similar signal to noise. For speakers performing better with a higher damping factor the 7205 is the easy winner. I would want a MC352 to get the quad balanced circuits for lower distortion and another magnitude more signal to noise . The big difference is how the amps interface with your speakers. Power isn't everything. I always look for the best signal to noise first. Sure I should have 14 301's but where would I put them. As my speakers prefer higher damping factors, the two 207's are my choice.

Another thought, you will have 3 channels left over. Two more for bi-amping if you choose, or 3 channels for back ground music in other locations . Maybe some day you want to have a sub.
Lot of flexibility with a 7205.

Last edited:
Thanks for you reply, never thought of it that way. I was thinking I would have alot more headroom which in term is easier for a amp with more power, therefore having lower distortion.
BTW the speakers are XLS320 version 1 with double binding post.
Your talking about biamping with a multichannel amp., Does that even make sense because all the channels that I will be using are coming from one power supply?

Isn't the whole thought of biamping having multiple amps and all the amps having a separate power supply?

Furthermore, only the 352 would be a step-up? That would make the 7205 a damn good amp, right.

If you're looking for the best choice between the two for strictly 2 channel audio, the MC252 is the winner. Just look at the numerous available reviews on the subject.

I really like my Mc-252 .I ended up installing four two inch fans inside the chasis under the heat sinks to keep it cool.The fans are only used during times of high power output.Cheers

I know alot of people like the 252, but I"'m wondering if it is really an upgrade to my 7205. With the 252 I will get more power and connecting trough XLR compared the interconnects on the 7205.
The speakerterminals on the 252 are much much nicer build than the terminals of the 7205.
Well this doesn't say anything about sound performance rather the build quality

You can look at it this way. The MC7205 was designed and optimized for 5-channel audio/video. The MC252 was designed and optimized for 2-channel audio. Although both can function as a 2-channel power source, I believe you'd notice a definite improvement with the MC252. Your XLS320's will like the extra shot of adrenalin.

I’m seriously considering the MA252. My local store has one and says they can let me demo the display at home over the weekend (days they are closed)
I currently run a ma6900 (which has more power/200 watts and autoformers) my speakers are Cornwall’s (vintage #1) I’ve never had any kind of tube set up and I am a huge vinyl enthusiast. I guess I’ll get to compare soon. I’m nervous and excited. I’ve wanted a ma6900 for so long and finally found this one and then Mac comes out with this. Hahaha... has anyone been able to compare the 252 to other macs?

Back
Top Bottom