McIntosh MC752 - Back from restoration

techguy0192

Listen to the whistle of the evenin' train
Subscriber
A few weeks ago, I dropped off my 752 for a checkup. I've had this amp for many years and felt like it was time to have it gone over. Based on the serial number, it was built in 1988. Despite the age of the amp, it still bench tested very well. After it was all put back together, it produced 91 watts per channel into an 8 ohm load.

The amp was dissembled, cleaned, and tested to leave nothing to chance. All the capacitors, including the main filter caps were replaced. The main filter capacitor are a little shorter than the old ones, but still look "right" as they do protrude up through the chassis and are the same width. New LED lamps were also installed. One very slight modification was the addition of a power switch, along with a fresh power cable. The on/off switch looks clean and replaced the aux power outlet that has always gone unused.

Overall, I could not be happier. The performance is better than ever, and the new filter caps really helped tighten up the bottom end. I've always really liked the direct couple amps and the industrial look of the 752/754.

Audio Exchange, in Atlanta, did a fantastic job. I can't recommend them enough if you're in the Southeast.

IMG_2674.JPG IMG_2675.JPG IMG_2677.JPG

Nice! I've always liked the look of the 752. Someday I'd like to get a pair of 'em to use with my 4100 for surround. :D

I believe MC752 may be the basic amp section of the MAC4100/MA6200 but I cannot positively affirm, however MC754 is the basic amp section of the MAC4300 receiver which I considered an outstanding performer.

I believe MC752 may be the basic amp section of the MAC4100/MA6200 but I cannot positively affirm, however MC754 is the basic amp section of the MAC4300 receiver which I considered an outstanding performer.

That's correct. The 4100 production run ended in 1985, which was the first year for the MC752.

Factoring in what I originally paid for this unit many years and the cost of updates, it's still less than one in similar condition from Audio Classics would cost. :bigok:

Why the snide remark about Audio Classics? You were just fortunate the 752 was in great condition when you found it. What happened if the next week it had crashed. Then you would have been behind the 8 ball. Just be thankful for your good fortune and with the knowledge that someday in the future if you need them they will be there for you as they are for the rest of us who are not fortunate enough to have great local support.

Why the snide remark about Audio Classics? You were just fortunate the 752 was in great condition when you found it. What happened if the next week it had crashed. Then you would have been behind the 8 ball. Just be thankful for your good fortune and with the knowledge that someday in the future if you need them they will be there for you as they are for the rest of us who are not fortunate enough to have great local support.

Maybe you should read my post again before you post a response like this and without all the facts. There wasn't anything snide intended in that comment. It was simply a statement of how glad I am to have this amp and how little it has cost to own - excellent value. I've owned this amp for well over a decade. And for your information, I have a lot of respect for Audio Classics, I'm a repeat customer of theirs and have spent thousands with them in the past 6 months alone.

Agreed - in shootouts here the little 754 has come surprisingly close to my 275, only revealing its limits in upper frequency clarity. These are still (ssshhh) the hidden affordable gems in the lineup...

jblnut

I have two 754s that I used to use as mono blocks with my MAC4300 as the preamp, but that really was overkill for my modest listening space. Now I have them deployed in other systems. One of them is nicely mated to an NAD preamp and a pair of Quad bookshelf speakers in our bedroom, and it just sings. They are super, under-appreciated amps.

Back
Top Bottom