McIntosh MCD301 vs: MCD500 Shootout

jdandy

I carried the MCD301 back upstairs this morning, and placed it on top of the C2200 preamp (see photo). The MCD500 is the in the rack directly above the top MC501 amp, and under the MCD205. Both the MCD301, and the MCD500 players were connected to the preamp with identical Tributaries Silver Series balanced interconnects (soon to be replaced with WireWorld Silver Eclipse 5.2 balanced cables, but that’s another story). I energized all the equipment and let it warm for 30 minutes. Now the fun begins.

Each CD or SACD was played first in the MCD500, and then again in the MCD301. My first CD choice was Liz Story – My Foolish Heart, the title track. On the MCD500, the piano and double bass were completely lifelike, totally engaging, remarkable. The piano notes carried in the room as though the instrument was physically here. The richness of the double bass string tones and decays was totally convincing. You could hear the wood of the double bass. In the MCD301, this same CD was also impressive, although the textures of the piano notes and the double bass were slightly less authentic. There was a minor loss of the three dimensional presence, a slightly less wholeness to the sound of the piano and double bass. The MCD301 doesn’t seem to have the breath, the air, the space and time quality that the MCD500 excels at providing.

Next, I played Shelby Lynne – Just A Little Lovin, the title track, in the MCD500. The initial rim shots on drum, and the bass that drops in are crisp, solid, and whole, all at the same time. When Shelby’s voice begins, it floats on air, with the small added reverb lingering so well in decay. In the MCD301, this CD offered a beautiful presentation as well, but again some of the openness and air around each instrument and Shelby’s voice seem to be absent, the ultra clarity heard with the MCD500 became ever so slightly veiled. The sound stage was a bit smaller, as well.

The next CD into the MCD500 was Jimmy Smith – Dot Com Blues , Only In It For The Money. Jimmy’s organ rips on this track, and Dr. John’s gravelly voice does justice to the lyrics, and at revealing mid range presence, while the drum snaps on the Toms were convincing, and the Hammond B3 grabs your attention, and holds it. As was becoming the pattern, this same CD, when played in the MCD301 was great, but could not live up to the MCD500 performance. Again, the openness of the sound stage became slightly smaller, more constricted. The edge that is often the signature of a B3 Hammond’s sound in the upper octaves was softened slightly, and the solidity of the deepest bass was clouded when in direct comparison with the MCD500.

I played other CDs from artists Tuck & Patti - Love Warriors, Brian Broomberg – You Know The Feeling, Paul Hardcastle – Hardcastle 5, all with similar results. When these CDs were played in the MCD301, the sound stage was uniformly smaller, not dramatic, but was not as large, or comforting as the MCD500. The openness, the breath of life surrounding instruments and voices, that was so present in the MCD500, was always less so with the MCD301, if only by a small margin, but noticable during direct A/B comparison. A perfect example was with the Paul Hardcastle CD, track 1, In The Beginning. It starts with the sound of flowing water, and some very deep bass notes played like a heartbeat. In the MCD500, the sounds were real, completely believable. As hard as it is to accurately capture and record the sound of moving water, much less reproducing that recording in a believable manner, the water sounds truly sounded like flowing water, and the bass felt like a heartbeat. The MCD301 was good, but could not recreate the complete lifelike experience that the MCD500 did so well without even blinking.

The results were similar between the two players when I used SACD material. The brand new SACD from Fourplay – Energy is a wonderful disc, very well recorded and engineered. I played the track Comfort Zone. The MCD500 reproduced the performance with amazing realism. Bob James’ piano, and Larry Carlton’s Gibson 335 were right there in the room, no excuses. The sound of tambourine, and all percussion instruments was alive, and exciting. Truly an exemplary experience. This SACD in the MCD301 was also very well presented, but as has been the case with every other CD played, the sound stage was smaller, the depth of tones was slightly diminished in clarity, and that important breath of life, that air of realism was present, but on a smaller scale.

So that’s it. The MCD301 is a marvelous SACD/CD player, no doubt about it. Without a direct A/B comparison with the MCD500, no one would have anything even slightly negative to comment about its performance. The differences were only noticeable in direct comparison, and were slight at best. I won’t be selling my MCD301 just because I also own the MCD500. The MCD301 will find wonderful duty in my recording studio, where it will certainly outperform every other source there.

The MCD500 is an absolute jewel of a performer. It presents music as though it were an invisible conduit into the recording studio. Every instrument has real life, three dimension, lingering harmonics, warmth, breath, and character. Every voice, whether solo or accompanied, alone or in harmony is clearly heard. Tiny, low level sounds are present, audible, and accurate. Silence is a complete black out, velvety black, from which every sound rises in glory. I have never had a better source in my system. The McIntosh MCD500 is the SACD/CD player to own. It will test, and show off every aspect of your system, and thrill you beyond belief.

Attachments

• Mac 301 and 501 sm.jpg
    Mac 301 and 501 sm.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 536
I should be placing one on order come mid October

I just hope directly connecting to the MC501s does not produce listening fatigue...or I'm going to have to shell out for a c500 and there won't be presents under the tree come Christmas morn. ...they'll all be nestled warmly in the Billy Bags rack!!!

"...anyone want to hear White Christmas one more time?"

Last edited:
Thanks for the great review, Dan. I wonder if you could do a CD playback comparison using the MCD301 as a transport only, with its digital output fed to the input on the MCD500 versus just using the MCD500.

Dan,

Thanks for the review. I got to hear this myself. Then decide IF I should add this to my system. For sure, the MCD301 is a very good player already, considering I have compared that with the performance of the MCD/MDA1k in red book CD's. And with SACD playback capability, I am amazed. So, the MCD500 is something I would definitely want if it mesmerized me.

Cheers!

Dan,

Thanks for the review. I got to hear this myself. Then decide IF I should add this to my system. For sure, the MCD301 is a very good player already, considering I have compared that with the performance of the MCD/MDA1k in red book CD's. And with SACD playback capability, I am amazed. So, the MCD500 is something I would definitely want if it mesmerized me.

Cheers!

Listening to the MCD301 in a seperate system, you will want for nothing. It is a stellar performer in its own right. With the MCD301 downstairs in the studio as a source for the C42 / MC352, I will not be listening for, or hearing any definable differences. Having made the A/B comparison though, the MCD500 will remain showcased in my main system.

Thanks for the great review, Dan. I wonder if you could do a CD playback comparison using the MCD301 as a transport only, with its digital output fed to the input on the MCD500 versus just using the MCD500.
Along those lines, I've got the MCD205 and am wondering how that sounds through the MCD500? (Maybe that's too far from your topic, though?)

Dan

Thanks for putting words what just left me slack jawed. :yes:

Jim

I don't know how many hours you might have on your MCD500, but approximately how many hours passed before you felt the break-in was complete?

I have about 37 hours on my MCD500 right now, and I am hearing the soundstage getting deeper. More and more details seem to continue melting me into a puddle. This is one amazing SACD/CD player.

Another nice review Dan :thmbsp: Do you think it's time to go Hollywood and produce a vid like Alberto :scratch2:

I see you played some nice jazz for your shootout....Fourplay,Paul Hardcastle,Tuck and Patti.....my kind of music :music:

Beautiful written review, Dan! I'm sure that, thanks to you and your thoughtful, articulate piece, anyone who is interested in the MCD500 will find alot of useful information there. As an owner, I just enjoyed the read!! I have about 50 hours on mine, and I swear that I still am hearing it open up more and more!:music:

Another nice review Dan :thmbsp: Do you think it's time to go Hollywood and produce a vid like Alberto :scratch2:

I see you played some nice jazz for your shootout....Fourplay,Paul Hardcastle,Tuck and Patti.....my kind of music :music:

'cisco.....No video from me. Alberto is famous. His video has been viewed around the world. People in France go into McIntosh dealers and say Alberto sent me. Dealers know who the cutomer is talking about. If you say, Dan sent me, they say, Who? Sorry, no video.

Yardbird1.....Thanks for the positive take.

Has anybody been able to do an A/B comparison between running a MS300/750 digitally out into a MX119/MX120/135/136 versus going into the digital input on the MCD500?

(I wanted to get an idea of the perceived difference between the MX119 DACs and the MCD500 DACs with teh MS300/750 as a source.)

Thanks,

Michael

Don't forget Jimmy Smith, have a BUNCH of his records...awesome review:yes:

Dan -- a well written, enjoyable review --you are a wizzard with the "pen" -- scratch that last -- make it "keyboard".

Jeff -- of TonePub -- take note -- this guy can express his audio "sensitivity and reaction" like no other. His ability to convey precise thoughts is unmatched of late.

Dan -- a well written, enjoyable review --you are a wizzard with the "pen" -- scratch that last -- make it "keyboard".

Jeff -- of TonePub -- take note -- this guy can express his audio "sensitivity and reaction" like no other. His ability to convey precise thoughts is unmatched of late.

I am humbled.........thank you.

Dan....Do I hear a second calling for you? I totally agree with vintage_tube...you have a special gift with words.....:thmbsp:

McIntosh should send you all their toys for a review :yes: but you have to be brutally honest without any favoritism. The hardest part will be letting go the equipment when your'e done or you can purchase them right on the spot. Sounds like a plan Dan? :scratch2: You will be performing a valuable service to all of us here. :smoke:

Has anybody been able to do an A/B comparison between running a MS300/750 digitally out into a MX119/MX120/135/136 versus going into the digital input on the MCD500?

(I wanted to get an idea of the perceived difference between the MX119 DACs and the MCD500 DACs with teh MS300/750 as a source.)

Thanks,

Michael

Didn't mean to ignor you, Michael. Actually this question, relating to servers would be better served in its own thread.

I prefer putting my hands on discs. Music servers are not my cup of tea.

MCD500 a great way to go

Dan,

An excellent review indeed...as per usual! :thmbsp: Your findings are about what one would expect, that the MCD301 is a superb player, but that the MCD500 offers that extra margin, (though some may consider it slight) that puts it "over the top". However, sometimes that extra margin is what really makes the difference...and Mac always seems to find a way to get us ever closer to that sonic "Holy Grail"!

Excellent job as always Dan.... though once again you've worsened my fever!

Pete

I don't know how many hours you might have on your MCD500, but approximately how many hours passed before you felt the break-in was complete?

I have about 37 hours on my MCD500 right now, and I am hearing the soundstage getting deeper. More and more details seem to continue melting me into a puddle. This is one amazing SACD/CD player.
I also have probably 50 hours on my unit. Twice since the unit arrived I have had to head to Asia so I am not getting all of the hours on it I would like. I spent about 6 hours listening to my system yesterday. Normally I power my units off when I am not listening but since I had been gone for about 10 days I left eveything powered up all day. What a difference it made from am to pm. The first hour or so it did not sound to good, but it quickly came to life.

I am not sure the break in is complete, but it sure sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom