McIntosh MCD301 vs: MCD500 Shootout

Not sure the MCD301 would be a sonic step-up from your modified Denon. However, possible that the MCD301 has many fewer hours of use/wear. The MCD500 is definitely a step up with its Sabre 24/192 DAC that is externally accessible for use with a future music server/computer or most any other digital source. As am unable to predict the future, think the extra $$ for an MCD500 would make more sense in the long-term.

I agree. The 301 may or may not be a step up from the modded Denon, but the 500 would be a significant improvement. I'd skip the 301 and save up a few more $.

Is the MCD301 the model which has obsolete software or hardware? If not the 301, which model is it? I remember reading here about one of the models from that era which were dangerous to own because of NLA parts or dead-end software. Does anyone remember?

You may be thinking of the MCD201, which was a troublesome piece. I had two before giving up and returning to the dealer. Both my MVP861 and MCD301 were trouble-free. Think the MVP861 was the besting sounding CDP I've owned. Makes me wonder if it had a ladder-DAC.

A friend of mine was using a Sony UHD player for a while when he wanted to up grade his system. His first step was the MCD 500. Its a beautiful machine for sure.

Back
Top Bottom