Mcintosh meter question... helping a stranger help his dad

satterberg

#1. MA-6500 integrated amp

#2. The gentleman stated he doesn’t have any speakers hooked up to the unit

#3. Without power the meters are completely to the left...

#4. With power the meters are pegged to the right...

Question:

With no load on the amp would that cause the meters to peg? Would no speakers harm the amp if on?

Thanks....

I told him to never power an amp up without a load on it... that is my guitar amp training for 50 years...

there's more to the story that needs to be told. A partly unplugged input cable could do that if on both channels, or a necessary ground wire from a turntable could be missing. Those are the simple ones. Where is the volume control set?

there's more to the story that needs to be told. A partly unplugged input cable could do that if on both channels, or a necessary ground wire from a turntable could be missing. Those are the simple ones. Where is the volume control set?

I dont know... NOTHING was hooked up to her. He didn’t know how to.

In any case, I would NOT connect speakers to THIS amplifier until it can be ascertained what is going on here. They could be destroyed.

No controls have any effect on what the meters are registering? Input selectors, buttons, switches etc.? (other than power)

In any case, I would NOT connect speakers to THIS amplifier until it can be ascertained what is going on here. They could be destroyed.

No controls have any effect on what the meters are registering? Input selectors, buttons, switches etc.? (other than power)

Good advice. I will contact him and ask...

I had that happen to five 2300 amplifiers. The electrician placed 110 volts on the ground deflecting the meters.

I wonder what is going on here? Seems like a dead short to me somewhere in the circuit. Maybe something going on with the power supply? Just guessing. Is he going to take it in for a service? That's what I would recommend.

I wonder what is going on here? Seems like a dead short to me somewhere in the circuit. Maybe something going on with the power supply? Just guessing. Is he going to take it in for a service? That's what I would recommend.

I have never met this young man... i am looking at Mac gear to finish my two channel room and came across this piece. I noticed the meters and contacted him. He knows very little about gear in general and I dont want him to get ripped off... people have already offered him almost nothing and told him it’s only good for parts etc.

I have some peeps in the industry and will lead him to them to get her up and running. There is so many great people here I wanted to run this up the flagpole and see if it can be something simple and overlooked. I’m going to ask him to send some pics of the back of the unit just to see if it’s clear of any oddities.

I really want this piece but now is not the time.... maybe good karma will find me when the Mac funds are all here.
:)

Hello Satterberg

Don't worried , I see what you mean. As another member said : time for service . Contact the closer technical station and they will give your MA6500 back to normal function !

Back
Top Bottom