McIntosh ML-1C speakers

bobinaz

I just picked up a pair of McIntosh ML-1C speakers form the same place I got my Wharfedale 70's. I did not know McIntosh made speakers. They look to be late 60's or early 70's. Very heavy made with a finely crafted wood cabinet with a plastic and cloth grill and the distinctive "M" for McIntosh on the front.
Does any one know about these? The cabinets need some light cosmetic work (sanding, re-finishing) but otherwisw look very impressive.

no woofer

I played these mac speakers and boy did they sound great. Played "America" album. Then played something with more bass and it did not sound quite right. Turned balance over to left side and - no bass. Removed front cover and the woofer was missing. But even without one of the woofers some of the music sounded better - not as bright as my wharfedales. I also could turn up the power more with the macs than with the wharfedales.
So I need to get a woofer for it. Anybody got one? I'll check ebay. I did not pop the covers when I first got them, but for $25 for thr pair, I figured I could not go wrong.

mac speaker site

Thanks Shane for the link to that Mac speaker site. So much info! Can't wait 'till I can get a matching woofer to hear how it really sounds.

I own a pair of these speakers and IMO they are a dog. Sorry but I can't help it. Mine have't been used for at least 10 to 15 years. The foam on the 12" woofers rotted and the 8 " lower mid ranges too. Actually, at this point the woofers need to be reconed. The tweeter is not a very good unit and a replacement cost me $17. BTW, if you read the McIntosh web site about these speakers, you will see that the equalizer that they didn't supply but you were supposed to buy separately is a MUST. The designer says he doesn't know why they were marketed without it. Maybe that will make a drastic improvement.

The interesting thing about this speaker believe it or not is the front grill. A guy I spoke to a few years ago in the McIntosh service department said that making that grill today would cost more than the whole speaker system cost 20 years ago. I think it's a precision injection molding. I think that they listed for about $400 each. I paid $200 for the pair used about a day or two after a trade show at the Long Island Inn. They were in a joint display by McIntosh and Audio Exchange who at the time had a store in Roosevelt Field Shopping Center.

I currently use them for end tables. They are on my long list of to do projects when I have the time and money.

"The foam on the 12" woofers rotted and the 8 " lower mid ranges too. Actually, at this point the woofers need to be reconed"

You sound like the local repair shops near me that rip off a huge number of people that dont know ell enough. Unless theres spider or cone damage there is no reason to recone them.

Grumpy

Take my word for it, the cones on the 12 inch drivers need to be replaced. I took them out with every intention of shipping them to McIntosh or finding someone locally who would replace the foam. Well I left them in a carton in the garage, and I never got to it and somewhere along the line.... However, the 8 inch drivers just need to have their surrounds replaced. As I said, I never really considered these to be top performing units. Too bad, they originally cost (someone) a lot of money.

Soundmind

I miss understood you. I thought you were telling Bobinaz to recone his drivers since the foam was gone.

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom