McIntosh Most Amazing Achievement the 1990s

Victor

Hi All

We did the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and 1980s now its time for the 1990s.

What is McIntoshes most amazing achievement of the 1990s

Same as last time it could be a piece of equipment, a new circuit design, a division, an upgrade at the lab building... any achievement is fair game.

Thank you all for all the great responces in my 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and 1980s threads. I hope you are all having as much with this theme as I am.

Victor

Survival after Clarion.I'm suprised they didnt buy the name and dump the philosophy...remember Marantz in the 70's?

I guess there are two sides to a coin.

During the Clarion period, the C22C and MC275 Commemerative came out.
This put McIntosh back on the radar for a lot of people, when people were going back to tubes. Risky move, which I think paid off for Mc.

Sydey Corderman's MC2000 probably is the greatest achievement of the decade.

During the 1990s McIntosh managed to enter new product areas (home theater and car audio) while improving its position in its traditional two channel audio market. This is a very impressive business accomplishment.

LIke Number 9, I think the commemorative C22 and MC275 played a key role. They provided much positive notice in the high-end two channel audio communitiy that seemed to be paying less and less attention to McIntosh. I suspect that the importance of these units goes beyond their individual sales numbers. I hope whoever made the decision to produce these commemorative units has been suitably rewarded.

It seems that the mid-90s commemorative units renewed interest in McIntosh, and then more people started noticing that other products from the company are both very good products and very good value (I'm thinking of reviews such as the one Paul Seydor wrote a year or so ago in The Absolute Sound).

Great responces guys. :thmbsp:

Macman007, I agree it is amazing McIntosh survived as a Hi-Fi Lab. I'm so glad Clarion did not just take the McIntosh name and turn it into mass market junk. I think we can thank Clarion for the auto stereo division, the story I heard was Clarion mainly bought McIntosh to design some high end car stereo equipment for them so they could sell their Clarion car stereos to put into high end cars.

Number 9, YES :) MC2000 :) The MC75, MC225 and MC275 all came out in 1961 so the MC2000 was the first new McIntosh tube amp design in 28 years. I think the only problem with the MC2000 was the decision to limit production to 500 units. I think McIntosh underestimated the sales potential of a new McIntosh tube amp!

Elling, Two new divisions in the 1990s HT and auto. The future was finally looking up in the 1990s for McIntosh!

Keep those responces coming, :D
Victor

Clarion bought McIntosh? When did this happen? Do they still own them? Granted I've always liked Clarion car audio products but I don't like the thought of that sort of product filtering into one of the last great hifi manufacturers.

devoid said:
Clarion bought McIntosh? When did this happen? Do they still own them?
McIntosh went through several changes in ownership. Clarion bought Mc and owned them I think during the 1989 to 1997 period. Then McIntosh became part of D & M Holdings (Denon & Marantz) which IIRC was also partly owned by Philips. In the past two years, it has been owned by a newer Japanese venture, which also runs Marantz, but has kept McIntosh quite independent.
More or less, my memory is fady.

Back
Top Bottom