Mcintosh MPI4 on the way to us.

stereocuuple

Two Channel Only
Subscriber
Just pulled the trigger on a MPI 4 on agon today. $1,500.00 with a slantleg cab and just tuned up by Terry D. org manual and service manual. price included shipping in a mcintosh box no less. Only question is how am I supposed to sleep for the next 4 nights waiting for it to arrive?

This is Erins fault I wasn't even thinking about a scope when she found it on audiogon. Damn her :)

Nice piece of equipment! Post some pictures, please, when arrives.
I recently bought mine and had to get new glass as it got broken in transit.
I hope you're more lucky then I...

Congrats. I saw that add too. Would you elaborate a bit on what it does and how you intend to use it? I did read the feature set and have an idea but...

well finally getting around to pics. Terry D. did a wonderful job on this. still getting all the finer points of operation understood but to say we are happy would be a huge understatement.

Attachments

• IMG_20180209_170228.jpg
    IMG_20180209_170228.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20180209_171242.jpg
    IMG_20180209_171242.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 48
The MPI4 is invaluable in making turntable adjustments when used with the Hi-Fi News test record. A very useful tool.

Congratulations.

Last edited:
Elaborate on this please Eric.

On the 2nd page of the brochure, the cartridge tracking display is shown (center image). While the anti skating passage(s) are playing (there are three at various locations one one side of the record as skate force varies with groove position), you can make optimal anti-skate adjustments while observing the MPI4 scope. Stereo mode pattern is used in making these these adjustments. (This is covered in greater detail in the MPI4 manual)

Of course, the if table is linear tracking A/S is irrelevant but it may also be helpful in optimizing tracking force. Need the HiFi News test record. I had picked one up a while back on Chris's suggestion.

http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/userpics/10004/MPI4 Brochure.pdf

Last edited:
The MP4 is also used to position or `point´ your OUTDOOR FM ANTENNA with a ROTATOR for highest gain and lowest distortion. It indicates signal strength (VERT) and tuning centered in the detector/IF curves (HORIZ). See brochure PDF above.

wp4139b28b_01_1a.jpg
Typical antenna.

roofbild.gif
Recommended antenna.

When it comes to using a rotatable outdoor antenna with Mc tuners, sometimes I put don't make me slap you here. :rflmao:

-Greg

If I had the room I'd have one more, to monitor the signal going to my super tweeters. I have one to monitor the woofers, and meters on the mids and tweeters. So the super tweeters are the only drivers I can't monitor.

Last edited:
When I first saw an MPI3 30+ years ago I thought it was an external equivalent to the Sequerra tuner spectrum analyzer. I was disappointed. It's just a bigger version of the 10b scope.

Back
Top Bottom