1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Mcintosh Mr-71-Speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by rbtstock, Oct 24, 2018.

1. rbtstock

rbtstock New Member

Hello, I just picked-up a Macintosh Mr-71, and would like to know if I could get some opinions on speaker specs to look for as I shop for a pair for the 71, I know that speaker sound is really subjective, however if I can get some guidelines for sensitivity, etc that would really be appreciated, this unit will play in my home office about 14x12, so pretty small, i will listen mostly to a combination of jazz, classic rock
    Thanks in advance to everyone.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. radioactive

radioactive tube gear fanatic Subscriber

The mr71 is just a tuner and not a ampifer you will need either a integrated amplifier or separate power amplifier and preamplifier to make it work.

3. radioactive

radioactive tube gear fanatic Subscriber

Fwiw that's a good tuner.i have one myself.

4. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

What you have is an FM tuner. And McIntosh's best tube tuner.

5. Yamaki

Yamaki Not For Hire Subscriber

That is a good tuner but the sound and synergy is really driven by the amplifier. What do you have for power now?

6. rbtstock

rbtstock New Member

Cronus magnum, but open to sugestions for a alternate?

7. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

A good tube tuner can have a smooth and rich tone, maybe more so than a solid state unit. Some people will write that off as a form of distortion and maybe it is but I think it makes my favorite music more lovable.

Assuming quality stations with content you enjoy, what do you want to listen to the most?

I've set my system up for female vocalists and jazz, small scale, intimate music. That's not to say I can't rock out sometimes but I chose intimacy over drive and excitement.

If you want the balance of your system to play to the MR71's strength then match with smoother, softer speakers. Vintage might be Large Advents or EPI. modern might be Spendors (like I have) or perhaps Sonus Faber.

If you want to contra-balance the MR71's tone, then get lively, crisp speakers like JBL, Klipsch, or Cervin-Vega.

Most modern speaker manufacturers will strive for a neutral balance, neither warm nor crisp. But careful listening can will reveal differences. But remember your tuner is but one signal source for your system.

8. rbtstock

rbtstock New Member

I mostly listen to classic rock & Jazz, What amp do you use to drive your Mr-71?

9. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

I used a variety of amps and a variety of speakers.

Loved the tuner but lost it in a divorce.

10. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

I lost both of my MR71s in my divorce...

11. rbtstock

rbtstock New Member

Sorry to hear that, losing 1 is bad enough, but 2, ouch!!

12. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

The question is not so much what speakers work best with the tuner, but which speakers you like that will also work well with the amplifier.

13. rbtstock

rbtstock New Member

Excellent point caddy, but the reason I’m asking the forum is , I’m fairly new at this and have not heard many speakers at this point of the journey

14. Stevedel

Stevedel Active Member

Well, rbtstock, you have a very enjoyable journey ahead of you. May I suggest anything Rectilinear. They go well with tube and ss McIntosh. I personally like the III, both tall boy and mini. They can still be found on E-bay for a fair price.

My MR-71 is in need of a little attention, but the MR-65 and MR-7083 work quite well. Especially on the local college jazz station. They broadcast an excellent quality signal.