McIntosh MR-77

maxsmart

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm closing in on a tuner to go along with my Mac 2105. :banana: After reading AK and other sites, the MR-77 seems to be a high quality tuner, plus it goes very well with the 2105. I looking for input on "the deal" and any issues/concerns/cautions with this tuner?

The price is close to set - ~$500.00 for a 6/10 grade tuner that includes the original box AND manual. The reason for the lower grade is primarily the black coating separating from the glass; all lettering and chrome is great and there is very little in the way of knicks or scratches. With the exception of a burned out Stereo bulb, there are no (known) functional issues

This seems to be a very fair price bordering on too low! Is this assessment reasonable/accurate? Thanks in advance,

i think if you posted this question in the mcintosh room, you'd get ALL kinds of advice. i think the general opinion over there is: the mr77 is a VERY good tuner, and is a perfect match for the mc2105. i think $500 is a great price. a mint refurbished (and realigned) unit is about $900. always nice if you can buy it locally. good luck!

bea1188 said:
i think if you posted this question in the mcintosh room, you'd get ALL kinds of advice. i think the general opinion over there is: the mr77 is a VERY good tuner, and is a perfect match for the mc2105. i think $500 is a great price. a mint refurbished (and realigned) unit is about $900. always nice if you can buy it locally. good luck!

Thanks for the response and comments. I wondered if the lack of feedback was due to posting here vs. McIntosh - I considered it but thought I might get more unbiased input/feedback here. Regards.

When you get the 77 unless you need a preamp simply go from the fixed outputs to the 2105's inputs and use the level controls on the 2105. Yeah, I know it becomes a 105/chl stereo radio but just try it.

A great tuna!! Many consider it to be better than the 'holy grail' of Mac tuners, the MR-78. Once you get it, start shopping for a face. They come up from time-to-time. Also, see if anyone in the Mac Forum has one, and, post a wanted on Audiogon. The, the obvious, talk to T. DeWick and see what he can do. Once you locate a new face, send everything to Terry do work his magic on. Nice find at the right price.

Back
Top Bottom