Mcintosh MR78 why oh why!

Haoleb

So as some of you know i am getting my Electronics tech degree and in our shop area we have literally tons of old donated equipment everything from tv's to Bose 901 EQ. And in the middle was what i saw as a jewel. A Mcintosh MR78 tuner.

So i was finally able to open this thing up and take a look at it (and clean it up a bit. finnaly i will be able to sleep) Its obvios someone had already been poking around in there. someone with crap for soldering skills too. Possibly a previous student. That wasnt the real bummer though, that came when i saw one of the boards has the traces completely messed up. All bubbly and lifted up just like the ones on the board in someones post in off topic.

I am going to try and hunt down schematics and possibly give this thing a second chance but so far im not to worried about getting it restored anymore. Its in good condition. glass is good, some rust and stuff but other than that looks good. everything is there. If i couldnt get it fixed i would want to possibly put it up in the parts department but since its not mine that wont be happening. We'll see how it goes. Any advice on anything that was known to go wrong with these? and if i shouldnt even bother because of the traces on the board?

I have no idea what was wrong with it, and didnt plug it in so that leaves about anything that could be wrong. Theres no more mcintosh to drule over in the shop, but there are a couple other nice peices i wanna get my hands on before i leave! :yes:

what the heck...

...try it! I've personally never seen where bubbly-looking traces meant death for the rig. I usually see it on computer boards.

-Ed

Hey thanks for the link that is exactly what i needed! :D I was searchnih online and thought i came up empty handed.

I guess if those traces being messed up isint usually a fatal problem i would give her another look. Id sure love to see it fire up.. err. work. i love restoring stuff like this :banana:

Back
Top Bottom