Mcintosh MX 110 preamp/ tuner blown transformer help

Hello

It will be less expensive for you if you ship the transformer only (take it off the black tar) ! if they have to depoted it , it will take time and will cost you more ....

Suggestions? Is there a way to get the bottom plate off without heat, or am I going to have to heat gun this thing from the git go?....

AA, I shipped my '110 transformer intact as a unit. I did not attempt to get it out of the case. It seems strange, though, that you've lost both sides of the same winding, too.

As you remember, our mutual friend John, who rebuilt the 2 MC30s, encountered a problem where some of the wires needed to be replaced some years back. He had access, however, to a pitch bath to get it out of the case. The problem is going to be the smell when that pitch heats up. It will hang around long after you try to stop the process once its started.

I'd suggest you have the rewinder pull it out and repot it for those reasons. They're the pros and we're not.

Cheers,

David

They're the pros and we're not.

Yes , DAVID ! I did it for MC2205 power transformer , MC240 , MC275 , MC75, C11 power transformers and MC275CE , MC225 output transformers ....

Yes you're right regarding the smell . It is much much better to do it outside !!

Dang, that's a _lot_ cheaper than Heybooer! Too bad they don't do the trifilar output transformers, though.

Cheers,

David

He un-pots and pots, has done at least 6 - MX110 transformers for me over the past years, I estimate half the models of McIntosh he re-winds were initiated by me.

He un-pots and pots, has done at least 6 - MX110 transformers for me over the past years, I estimate half the models of McIntosh he re-winds were initiated by me.

Heh, I'll bet he loves you long time! I've been in correspondence with him and will pull the trigger in the next couple of weeks. Now I need to sell something to pay for it....

Hello

It will be less expensive for you if you ship the transformer only (take it off the black tar) ! if they have to depoted it , it will take time and will cost you more ....
Try Gary Brown of TRS , Orono Maine.
He has rewound 4 1570b OPT for me. Great work.Easy to find by Google.
Regards ,
Randall

Man, look at that! A spec sheet with test results and a great price! Way to go, AA.

BTW, say Hi to Dennis Had for me.

Cheers,

David

Wow - nice to know that folks out there offer such services. I've got a spare PT for an MC2300 for fear that I may never find one should I need it. These pieces aren't getting any younger!

As with most things, it took me a long time to find a round Tuit, but find one I did.

Oriented the PT by matching the cut stubs colors with the new wires....

One side done...

Completed...

After measuring the voltages, I found that the PS was running hot, with voltages about 30V higher than expected. Swapped out the 2 1.5K ohm 2 watt resistors which were both reading about 1300 ohms with new ones reading 1600 ohms, and cut the excess voltage in half.

I may still drop in a 2K ohm resistor in the first slot, but for now buttoned it up and it's back to functioning as it should...

Did you notice less humm when you replaced those resistors? I rebuilt mine a year ago and it also tested high voltage (just about 12% above what it should IIRC) it's had just a bit a hum, since. I've ordered a set of 1.5k 1.8k and 2k 2watt resistors that to replace and am finally getting around to putting this back on the bench. Anyone else with experience in this? do I swap both or just the first slot?

Hello.
I'm on the forum for the first time.
Please help.
I am from Poland and I have a question about the Mcintosh mx110.
I bought a broken amplifier and I plan to bring it back to life.
The transformer is damaged ....
Do you know someone who can fix it?
Excuse me for spelling - I translate everything on Google ...
greetings
Qba

Hello.
I'm on the forum for the first time.
Please help.
I am from Poland and I have a question about the Mcintosh mx110.
I bought a broken amplifier and I plan to bring it back to life.
The transformer is damaged ....
Do you know someone who can fix it?
Excuse me for spelling - I translate everything on Google ...
greetings
Qba
Private message sent.

Back
Top Bottom