McIntosh MX-150/151 -- analog, digital outputs?

samwise801

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Greetings everyone! I'm not currently the owner of any McIntosh gear, but I'm eyeing upgrading my current pre-pro and have my sights set on a McIntosh MX-150 (or 151).

But, looking at the 150/151, it doesn't appear to sport any analog or digital source outputs -- just pre-outs for feeding amplifiers.

I know, I know, the world is moving rapidly to HDMI-only and what not, and even though vinyl is still alive and well, units like the MX-150/151 don't seem to have any love left for tape decks or CD recorders. I don't see any analog or digital outputs on 'er, which means I can't set up my Nak tape deck properly or a digital recorder source either.

So, first of all, is this true? Any chance the 150/151 allows you to assign any of the existing inputs as outputs? Man, I'd kill to have one aux output and one digital output, either coax or optical...

Or, alternatively, what do you fine folks to do get around this? I know there are plenty of you out there still rockin' tape decks...how to you connect the Rec In on the back of your Dragons to the 150/151?

Thanks in advance!!

error see below How do you remove an entry when you a goofed?

Last edited:
You can use Zone B for switching Analog sound inputs. You can have a many inputs as there are pairs of analog and digital. So you use two inputs for a MCD500 for example one digital out and one for analog. Then you select the MCD500 on Zone B as the record output and select the Nakamichi on Zone A as a tape monitor function. I use a pair of inputs for my 891 1 HDMI and balanced and 861 component with optical and Balanced for analog. . As the 151 does a great job of up sampling I use the component output of my 861 to connect to the 151 and the HDMI output feeds the tv monitor. So there is no need fora separate digital coax or optical output. If you need those. I would look for a MX 136 or a MX 121 as they both have digital audio outputs. Myself I take the optical out of the 891 to feed my Marantz CD recorder input . my 861 S output to feed my pioneer DVD recorder with the optical output. The C-34 tape out feeds the analog in put of the Marantz Cd recorder.to dub other tapes, LP,s FM tuner etc. I use one of the C-34's processor loops for a graphic equalizer, DBX 3bx and 119. Mac is in favor of us using the Pass thru mode to incorporate a more advanced current digital analog hybrid SS or Tube pre-amp. As they are to big physically I'll stick with my C-34 w/ MP 100 for MC cartridges.

Last edited:
Twiiii is the reference source for squeezing the most inputs and outputs out of a Mx151 If you want a digital out go to Lyngdorf MP-50. Mcintosh provides more input options but no digital outs. The MX160 is also worth looking into. Room Perfect is a must have and is Lyngdorf technology licensed by Mcintosh. I run a Lyngdorf two channel rig with Mcintosh amps. The digital out has Room Perfect and volume control so you can do a final DAC of choice.

You can’t let lose with either.

Back
Top Bottom