1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

McIntosh MX120 - do I need preamp for phono?

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by KevinL, Jul 26, 2018.

1. KevinL

KevinL Active Member

Hi. I just got around to hooking up a turntable to my MX120. It’s almost inaudible. Do I need a preamp or is the phono section broken?

Thanks from Kevin

Please register to disable this ad.

2. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

Here's a copy of that unit's owners manual. all 82 pages.

http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/Downloads/MX120_own.pdf

From what I can see, it doesn't include a built in phono pre-amp. Generally, if a unit doesn't have an input specifically labelled "phono", or some such, there is no internal phono pre-amp.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  3. Yamaki

Yamaki Not For Hire Subscriber

There's no phono pre-amp section or phono ground on the MX120. You'll need a separate phono pre-amp with RCA outputs.

4. KevinL

KevinL Active Member

Thanks! I just hooked one up and voila.

5. Yamaki

Yamaki Not For Hire Subscriber

sweet...

Enjoy!

6. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Boerboelicious Subscriber

On the manual in specifications it states the specs for the phono stage which is interesting and would appear that the unit does have a built in phono stage . All I can see on the back of the unit is PH/AUX .

505B9B6A-5D37-46E5-9693-E4D37E015AE2.jpeg

Audiofreak71

Please register to disable this ad.

7. techguy0192

techguy0192 AK Subscriber Subscriber

There's absolutely a phono section in the MX120 with a grounding lug. Moving magnet cartridges are supported. McIntosh, on this model and others, used a shared phono/line level input. Some are physically switch between line and phone, while some use a onscreen menu.

8. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

I used and my son uses the phono input on the MX-120 I gave him. You need to bring up the menu that sets the options for the. input. You need to start reading the owners manual on page. 32 top of the right and column. It ain't easy at first, but with time and little effort and a lot of practice you will survive.