McIntosh repair/restore in SF Bay Area?

Ya shipping is a pain indeed. Luckily the MX110Z isn't very heavy and not too complicated packing it safely

Have you had any work done by World of Sound? I was thinking about taking my Mac amp there for a diagnostic. They did a pretty good job on my turntable a couple of years back, and while they sell Mac and are an authorized repair service... as you pointed out that title doesn't mean the work is good. Any input is appreciated!

I believe Peter started as a tech before setting up a full blown showroom..been in that location for over 30 years. Ive had them work on my Rotel receiver with good results by his long time tech who just retired by the way.-so Peter recently took over the repair duties again himself. Peter seems to be a nice old school, reliable guy who stands behind his work. He warranties his repairs for 90 days (Parts and labor) his rates are fair and I appreciate him being up front about not able to align the tuner on my MX110Z as accurately as Terry
The piece ended up going to Terry..

Thanks for the update on L&M, but I'm not surprised they're closing. We are truly short decent Mc repair shops here in the Bay Area. My 4300V was serviced by Champlifier in Alameda and has been pretty steady. Also I believe there's a still-extant repair shop, R&B, in Redwood City.

I'd agree DeWick is your best resource, but you are looking at 6 months most likely. Also, he is closed for the summer until September 5th.

FWIW I just got my Dynaco MKIII's back from Sertech in San Jose and they did a very good job for a reasonable sum. A little over 2 months, which is not bad. The only frustrating thing at all was communication was a little lacking, but once you get past that the end result is good. I have no doubt that they could work on Mac's and do a more then satisfactory job. That said, if you don't mind shipping Terry or Audio Classics are the class of the league here.

FWIW I just got my Dynaco MKIII's back from Sertech in San Jose and they did a very good job for a reasonable sum. I have no doubt that they could work on Mac's and do a more then satisfactory job. .

thanks for the update! this is good news!

Has anybody tried Gene's Sound Services, or have feedback on using him for Mac stuff? I know he did the resto-mod on the Mac-powered system that Four Barrel Coffee uses non-stop daily in their Mission location. It sounds fantastic.

I've got an early C20 that'll need recapping and a spare MCP-1 that showed up DOA and needs to be diagnosed. I'd love to find somebody here in the Bay that's minimally up to acceptable snuff, even if they aren't quite in the league of Terry or Audio Classics. Sounds like maybe Sertech and World of Sound are possibly an option for the C20? I don't need my MR67 realigned or anything crazy, and the C20 is a beautiful all-original runner thats just needs a little cap/resistor love.

The MCP-1 that's DOA likely has a faulty component in the power supply circuit that needs to be located. But it's a little fella that can easily be shipped off to better techs if need be.

FWIW I just got my Dynaco MKIII's back from Sertech in San Jose and they did a very good job for a reasonable sum. A little over 2 months, which is not bad. The only frustrating thing at all was communication was a little lacking, but once you get past that the end result is good. I have no doubt that they could work on Mac's.

I have been a customer of Sertech for many years.

I think part of the answer to your situation is addressed in earlier posts: as more and more local repair shops close down, Sertech takes in more repairs, and ends up with a longer backlog.

I am also a long time customer of Terry DeWick, and had a conversation with him just before he took his Summer break; he has pretty much limited his repairs to McIntosh for the same reasons, and his backlog is also getting longer

ive heard good and not so good with Gene. Probably worth a call.
Gene is a nice,honest guy and he tries hard. Only does house calls. He tried fixing a receiver for me, ran to a local parts house to get a "replacement" part which turned out to be wrong..then gave up. said its not worth the repair. He asked for 60 bucks for travel and diagnostics. I didn't want to argue so I just gave it to him..

and his backlog is also getting longer
Yeah, that's quickly becoming the norm for a lot of older skills-based work. Having my preamp waiting on a shelf in a box dang near on the opposite side of the continent for half a year before DeWick will even crack open the covers is something I'd like to avoid if I can. The C20 is definitely more than a house call, so it looks like Gene's out as well. Time to give a couple of calls to Sertech and WOS to see what what their rates are and then get in the repairs line like it's the DMV and wait for my number to be called :)

Sertech is $80 to look at it and provide an estimate. They will apply that to the total due. It will take him 2-4 weeks to get to it. After that just depends on what needs fixing, if he has parts in stock, etc.

I'm going to make a guess that he is not the least expensive provider in the Bay Area.

I'm going to make a guess that he is not the least expensive provider in the Bay Area.

Ha. For sure. But if "least expensive" was the primary criteria for my audio, I certainly wouldn't be listening to the radio on my dang near spotless MR67 right now through EL34s, driving a pristine pair of '67 Altec 846As.

Ha. For sure. But if "least expensive" was the primary criteria for my audio, I certainly wouldn't be listening to the radio on my dang near spotless MR67 right now through EL34s, driving a pristine pair of '67 Altec 846As.

Point made and taken.

I had a pleasant conversation with Nick and the gentleman over at sertech a few weeks back. Like Terry, both were patient and took the time explaining scope of work and what to expect. Audio Classic charges are at a premium compared with the usual suspects. Am I wrong?

I had a pleasant conversation with Nick and the gentleman over at sertech a few weeks back. Like Terry, both were patient and took the time explaining scope of work and what to expect. Audio Classic charges are at a premium compared with the usual suspects. Am I wrong?

Good to know. I put in an email request with Nick, describing the basics of the job (caps and a few resistors, mostly). I'll do the same for Sertech. Looking forward to getting the C20 refreshed and ready for duty by the time my 2A3 amp arrives later this summer :)

Back
Top Bottom