Mcintosh scam

I know, I'm probably just a little irritated that's all. I mean if I can see what's going on, all those computer smart people they got working there should be able to pick up on it too that's all. All it would take is a quick URL check when a listing is posted, if it contains links to known fraud sites the posting fails. Also they could place a temp hold on accounts which are logged into from from wildly different IP addresses, for example if one day you log in from Virginia and the very next day it's Hong Kong that's pretty obvious. My credit union does that, so it's not impossible.

That's him.
Hasn't listed all the usual audio gear as I didn't see him in my morning ebay viewing.

EDIT---the scammer has two hijacked accounts going right now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Brand-...709426?hash=item41ce66abf2:g:p7AAAOSwqYZZqty8

AND those hijacks are shut down, only legit auctions are still up.
Never considered he could have multiple hijacked accounts going at the same time.
So I've added more of his usual items to my watch list.

Last edited:
He was up and running Sat...I reported several items, he was gone a few hours later.
Showed up again last night, I reported a few items, was very surprised they were still active 12 hours later as ebay has been pretty good about shutting him down.

He keeps relisting the same items every time. So same pictures each time as well.
Between 3000 and 4000 items, around 80 are desirable pieces of audio gear.
Whenever I see a xxxxxxxx for sale, and I check that category several times each day, I then click on other items which leads to his nearly 4000 total listings.
I've also started "watching" select, somewhat rare items (ebay sends email alerts) when certain items are listed in case he slips through my daily ebay browsings.
I then pick a few from different categories like bikes, sewing machines, golf clubs, etc and start reporting them

Ebay has already started pulling down his latest hijacked listings but he'll be back.

I saw he was back a few hours ago...running two listings for each item. Reported a few listings then.
Last time he ran two listings for each item ( a week ago) he had two hijacked accounts, it appears it's only one hijacked account this time.
And "seller is away", listings started on Saturday, trying to maximize the possible number of victims?
Will more than likely be shut down before morning I'd guess.

How do you find these ads and or sellers?

SEND MESSAGE USING BUTTON DOWN!

a.jpg

It would be the simplest thing in the world for eBay to block the domain where this image comes from, but they can't be bothered. Granted, he'd spam from somewhere else, but meanwhile they haven't even taken this simple step. The domain in question also hosts his response page, but needless to say I'm not linking it here. Someone might click on it
index.php

I told their supervisor exactly that last time I called, basically it's not gonna happen and they couldn't care less. Their exact words to me over the phone was "our best and first line of defense is our users", in other words we're not gonna lift a finger to make our selling atmosphere safe and if you get boned it sucks to be you.

Ebay is a disaster waiting to happen, I quit selling because of this and their ever increasing 'fees'.

SEND MESSAGE USING BUTTON DOWN!

a.jpg

It would be the simplest thing in the world for eBay to block the domain where this image comes from, but they can't be bothered. Granted, he'd spam from somewhere else, but meanwhile they haven't even taken this simple step. The domain in question also hosts his response page, but needless to say I'm not linking it here. Someone might click on it
index.php

By response page, is that the page clicking on the link under the fuschia arrows goes to?
Is it a spoofed ebay page?
I've noticed that link has changed in the past.

Amazing they can't be bothered to try and stop the scammer.
Since it's always the same items and some are rather obscure, why don't they have alerts set up and at least check when an item is posted.
That's how I see them if my normal browsing doesn't come across them.

EDIT---took about 6 hours from my reporting until listings were cancelled.
Don't know if others had reported them before I did.

Last edited:
I reported about 20 of them, I figure it's enough to get their attention.

I posted on their Facebook page, here's how that conversation went:

Me: You guys have a hacking problem.... Look at the description where it requests payment outside eBay, this exact scam has been going on for months now what are you doing about it?

[URL from bogus ad posted]

Ebay: Thanks for reaching out Nick. This item is no longer on site. If you see items like this make sure you are reporting them through the report item link found on the listing page. Thanks, ~Barry

Me: It's not about a single item Barry, what's happening is a users account is compromised and hundreds of items posted fraudulently with requests for payment via credit card off of eBay. We have a thread going documenting how many times this has happened, see below. It would be very easy for you guys to simply block the URL of the linked picture, and shut down accounts which attempt to use it.

Again, people are being defrauded and eBay needs to do something about this.

[link to this thread inserted]

I would also mention that in the beginning the auction lengths were 7 days or so, now the periods are much shorter putting pressure on would-be bidders to go off site and do something dumb.

If you can't block the hackers from your site, could you at least make a community announcement to let people know what's going on?

Ebay: I definitely understand your concerns, Nick, and we are working hard behind the scenes with several policies and systems to stop this kind of behavior on the site. That doesn't mean that some listings do make it up before we catch them though. As Barry said, it's important to report them if you see them as this does help us make sure they get shut down. Thanks for reaching out on this. ~Brittanie

<break>

So in other words, I'm just getting more lip service. This is the same basic line they gave me over the phone, and doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence that they really are trying hard to get at the root of the problem. I mean, if a computer noob like my dumb a$$ can figure this out, you gonna sit there and tell me a bunch of degree wielding computer nerds can't figure this out in 3 months????

I was looking up Marantz 9 monoblocks last week..same thing, $1000.00 BIN, bids will be erased, I reported the scam.
9s go for 6-10 g's

I reported about 20 of them, I figure it's enough to get their attention.

I posted on their Facebook page, here's how that conversation went:

Me: You guys have a hacking problem.... Look at the description where it requests payment outside eBay, this exact scam has been going on for months now what are you doing about it?

[URL from bogus ad posted]

Ebay: Thanks for reaching out Nick. This item is no longer on site. If you see items like this make sure you are reporting them through the report item link found on the listing page. Thanks, ~Barry

Me: It's not about a single item Barry, what's happening is a users account is compromised and hundreds of items posted fraudulently with requests for payment via credit card off of eBay. We have a thread going documenting how many times this has happened, see below. It would be very easy for you guys to simply block the URL of the linked picture, and shut down accounts which attempt to use it.

Again, people are being defrauded and eBay needs to do something about this.

[link to this thread inserted]

I would also mention that in the beginning the auction lengths were 7 days or so, now the periods are much shorter putting pressure on would-be bidders to go off site and do something dumb.

If you can't block the hackers from your site, could you at least make a community announcement to let people know what's going on?

Ebay: I definitely understand your concerns, Nick, and we are working hard behind the scenes with several policies and systems to stop this kind of behavior on the site. That doesn't mean that some listings do make it up before we catch them though. As Barry said, it's important to report them if you see them as this does help us make sure they get shut down. Thanks for reaching out on this. ~Brittanie

<break>

So in other words, I'm just getting more lip service. This is the same basic line they gave me over the phone, and doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence that they really are trying hard to get at the root of the problem. I mean, if a computer noob like my dumb a$$ can figure this out, you gonna sit there and tell me a bunch of degree wielding computer nerds can't figure this out in 3 months????

I appreciate your efforts, even if the bay doesn't.

Typical customer-service BS. They have no intention of doing anything unless it costs them millions not to.

BTW, it's a domain not a URL which needs blocking. I guess we could start blocking it. But it'll change.

Back again.
Reported again.

EDIT---and a SECOND hijacked account just showed up.
Scammer is busy today.

The fake link starts with "caca..." spanish for shit.
Coincidence?

Last edited:
Guess all we can do is remain vigilant, since it's obvious eBay has a problem they apparently aren't interested in proactively solving.

I've now given up my daily search for Mcintosh items on ebay because of those multiple scam listings that pop up constantly and have for months now......if ebay doesn't care and either can't or won't do anything then I don't either and I'll simply take my business elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom