McIntosh Speaker Connections Help

bluhays

My first post!

I have the following McIntosh equipment my dad used for many years and want to start using it again:

C28 PRE-AMP
MC 2205 AMP
MQ 102 EQUALIZER

XR 6 LOUDSPEAKERS
XR 5 LOUDSPEAKERS

Currently I have the XR 6 LOUDSPEAKERS connected to the MC 2205 AMP.

How do I connect the second pair of speakers XR 5 LOUDSPEAKERS to the back of the MC 2205 AMP?

Any help would be appreciated. Pictures and illustrations would be nice...lol

Yes, as damacman says you should pick up an SCR 2 if you do not have one.

They're not very expensive and connections are straightforward.

Since the speakers are 8 ohm you can run both pairs by running them in parallel at the 4 ohm taps, in the meantime.

Yes, as damacman says you should pick up an SCR 2 if you do not have one.

They're not very expensive and connections are straightforward.

Since the speakers are 8 ohm you can run both pairs by running them in parallel at the 4 ohm taps, in the meantime.
I will try getting the SCR 2...in the meantime how do I connect two speakers wires to the 4 ohm taps....the terminals are small...

sorry for the dumb questions...

Spade connectors. They're all over eBay.

Type in "McIntosh connectors" and they should come right up.

Spade connectors. They're all over eBay.

Type in "McIntosh connectors" and they should come right up.
So two spades each connect into COM tap and two spades connect into 4 ohm tap for R channel and the same thing for L channel?

Is it possible to have different impedance speakers attached to the SCR2? Let's say 4 ohm and 8 ohm. How would you connect the SCR2 to the power amp (MC2205 just like the OP)?

:yes:

*Connect the (+) speaker leads at the 4 taps; (-) at COMs.
Right now my speaker wires are not terminated with spades...so I would have to wrap two speaker leads (+) onto the 4 ohm taps and (-) onto COMs...the two wires being wrapped onto the screw terminals together and touching is ok?

Right now my speaker wires are not terminated with spades...so I would have to wrap two speaker leads (+) onto the 4 ohm taps and (-) onto COMs...the two wires being wrapped onto the screw terminals together and touching is ok?

Or get a few of these and twist the wires together,insert into the hole and tighten down:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Banana-plug-Spade-Adapter-Marantz-Mcintosh-Amplifier-USA-Design-24K-Gold-/181643922230?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4ad24b36

Strip wires individual so each wire slides to right and left of screw in center but under clamp plate. Tighten screw. If wires are same guage the plate will hold both. If you try to twist around screw it becomes difficult. Ensure wire leads have enough insulation where not clamped down so they can't short to case ground (that metal back plate of amp). Only need 3/8 inch max of each wire stripped.

Is it possible to have different impedance speakers attached to the SCR2? Let's say 4 ohm and 8 ohm. How would you connect the SCR2 to the power amp (MC2205 just like the OP)?

8 ohm in parallel with 4 ohm would present 2.67 ohm so you would make connections at the 2 ohm tap - especially if the intention was to operate both pairs simultaneously. If only one pair at a time were to be used, 4 ohm would be better.

Keep in mind, you won't get maximum amplifier power whenever the load value is higher than the impedance at the tap. Ie: 8 ohm speaker at 4 or 2 ohm tap.

Unfortunately the wizards at McIntosh never designed the SCR to accept multiple taps from the amplifier and have it automatically select the appropriate tap depending on how many speaker pairs were switched on.

Yes.

Thanks for the help guys...

I asked tech people at McIntosh the same question and this is what I got back...little confused about there respond

"The COMs will have 2 wires each but R4, R2, L4 and L2 will each only have one wire"

Why is there R2 and L2 involved???

Thanks for the help guys...

I asked tech people at McIntosh the same question and this is what I got back...little confused about there respond

"The COMs will have 2 wires each but R4, R2, L4 and L2 will each only have one wire"

Why is there R2 and L2 involved???

I have no idea what's they're talking about either :headscrat - but just make the connections at the COM & 2 OHM taps if you're going to run both pair simultaneously.

If the terminals are too small, you can connect the other pair somewhere else - it doesn't necessarily have to be made right at the terminals for the second pair.

I have no idea what's they're talking about either :headscrat - but just make the connections at the COM & 2 OHM taps if you're going to run both pair simultaneously.

If the terminals are too small, you can connect the other pair somewhere else - it doesn't necessarily have to be made right at the terminals for the second pair.
Yes all these different answers are confusing me...anyways I can always just use one set of speakers instead of two sets at the same time.

I'm going to order my audio cables and speaker wire from blue jeans cable...is 12 gauge speaker wire the right size?

12 ga is more than ample unless you're running over 120 feet for the 8 ohm speakers; 60 feet for the 4 ohm.

12 ga is more than ample unless you're running over 120 feet for the 8 ohm speakers; 60 feet for the 4 ohm.
The speakers are going to be positioned beside the audio rack...couple feet max...is it ok to position the speakers that close to the rack?

You really only need 18 ga for that distance.

That's fine but you'll want to leave sufficient distance between the speakers for adequate stereo separation which is usually 6 feet minimum. The further the listening position from the speakers, the wider the distance should be.

Ideally the listener and two speakers should form an equilateral triangle.

Only other thing to avoid is close proximity of the speakers to the turntable - that is if you have one.

Back
Top Bottom