DennisH

I'm the original owner of the following bi-amped system, purchased in 1977:

MC2200
MC2205
C28 preamp
(2) Dahlquist DQ-10 mains
(2) Dahlquist DQ-1W subs
DQ-LP1 active crossover

No professional maintenance has been done to the Macs over the years. I replaced the C28 front glass 15 years ago after it was broken during a move. Recently the 2200 immediately blows its main fuse when powered up. The meters on the 2205 are not evenly lit and growing dimmer.

What maintenance need to be done to assure my system performs within specs for the years to come? And who best to have the work done? I'm currently in the Florida panhandle.

Dennis

Because of the description I'd say first they need to be fixed then updated

I'm not familiar with your area .
Perhaps someone will chime in.
You're not super far from Terry Dewick.
Maybe a road trip is in order?
Though he had a pretty big backlog (several months)
There are some pretty savvy mac techs here but not sure where they are.

Trying to tell you what your units need sight unseen is pretty impossible.
Most competent techs once its on the bench will evaluate and then discuss with you what that would be.
Even if they worked perfectly now.
They could probably use some TLC now

Thanks for replying. These all have the original wood cases but I no longer have the original shipping cartons and packing, and shipping the 2200 and 2205 at 90+ lbs. each would be expensive, so I'm probably faced with a road trip. I've considered a local repair of the 2200, but would really prefer a Mac tech work on it and spec it. Everything works (except the 2200), so I have some time to decide.

There are dozens of threads started here about the needed restorations of the power supplies of the MC2200 and MC2205......they are very much the same.

There are a number of other issues that have cropped up as these units are 40 years old.

I know I have been in contact with a Florida MC7200 owner who has had some experience with a repair shop in the Tampa area.....but I do not know the name.

The secret to keeping your Macs alive is experience with particular models and continuing to be familiar with new issues as the units get older. Living where you do, I would take them to Terry Also. I am not that fortunate, but there is a tech in town where I live out West who worked with me when we sold those models and is still servicing Mac equipment. So I wouldn't hesitate with those models to have Bill fix them. Other models I would send to Audio Classics, as they are close to the factory and have very close connections with the factory. They also have the designer of my FM tuners on staff, which is a very important asset. Remember Charlie Randel designed the 352 and worked for the factory while going to school, so if push comes to shove his experience with older models would be available, too. We are so fortunate to own Mcintosh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom