McIntosh Trivia

damacman

Resident Psycho
Here's a few that all Mc enthusiasts will enjoy. Let's see who has more useless information in their head than me . . .

1. There were two McIntosh power amplifiers offered with RCA, 1/4" TRS, and XLR Inputs - which models are they?
2. What was the original SRP of the MC240 power amplifier?
3. What McIntosh tube audio component has both a Compactron and a NuVistor tube in its complement? (caddy - you don't get to play on this one . . . )
4. Which was the very first direct coupled McIntosh power amplifier?
5. Which McIntosh tuner came as a result of combining the strengths of an MR71 and the MR77?
6. Which McIntosh preamplifier was the first to include an on-board headphone preamp?
7. Name at least two industries that utilized McIntosh power amplifiers in a non-audio application?
8. What fabled McIntosh amplifiers were the in-house favorites at Motown powering Altec 604s?
9. What was the first McIntosh loudspeaker that was designed to be sold without the MQ equalizer?
10. Name the company that had to license the rights to use a trademark licensed by McIntosh to resell their wares?

Bonus question.

11. Name a McIntosh power amplifier that was originally equipped with Western Electric output tubes.

Some partial answers:

3. MX110?

7. Lockheed Missles and Space Company (LMSC) in Sunnyvale used single MC30s to drive a shaker tables for mechanical shock and vibration testing of satellites. (I only got 1 answer here.) Some of us thought LMSC meant "Let's Move Some Chairs" or "Let's Make Some Charts."

10. Apple.

Here's a few that all Mc enthusiasts will enjoy. Let's see who has more useless information in their head than me . . .

1. There were two McIntosh power amplifiers offered with RCA, 1/4" TRS, and XLR Inputs - which models are they?
2. What was the original SRP of the MC240 power amplifier?
3. What McIntosh tube audio component has both a Compactron and a NuVistor tube in its complement? (caddy - you don't get to play on this one . . . )
4. Which was the very first direct coupled McIntosh power amplifier?
5. Which McIntosh tuner came as a result of combining the strengths of an MR71 and the MR77?
6. Which McIntosh preamplifier was the first to include an on-board headphone preamp?
7. Name at least two industries that utilized McIntosh power amplifiers in a non-audio application?
8. What fabled McIntosh amplifiers were the in-house favorites at Motown powering Altec 604s?
9. What was the first McIntosh loudspeaker that was designed to be sold without the MQ equalizer?
10. Name the company that had to license the rights to use a trademark licensed by McIntosh to resell their wares?

Bonus question.

11. Name a McIntosh power amplifier that was originally equipped with Western Electric output tubes.

1. (?)
2. $288
3. ....
4. MA5100 (integrated) MC502 (standalone)
5. MR78
6. C32
7. Aircraft, Military(?)
8. MC60
9. XR16
10. Apple
11. MC225

Some partial answers:

3. MX110?

7. Lockheed Missles and Space Company (LMSC) in Sunnyvale used single MC30s to drive a shaker tables for mechanical shock and vibration testing of satellites. (I only got 1 answer here.) Some of us thought LMSC meant "Let's Move Some Chairs" or "Let's Make Some Charts."

10. Apple.
I personally was not aware about the LMSC connection. Interesting.

#1 is just one of those things - I figured @CruzBay would have jumped all over that one. MC2300 had RCA inputs only, although more than one had 1/4" or even XLR inputs added by touring companies, roadies, etc. MC3500 had RCA or BNC inputs on both the front and rear panels.

3. MX 110 Z chassis. 7. Magnavox Company plant in Knoxville used a McIntosh amplifier to power their shaker table, a well known McIntosh repair technician we know and love (he's an AK Member and Sponsor) who formerly worked there, owns it and got it when it was being discarded. Also, the US Navy used McIntosh amplifiers to power Sonar transducers.

Martin Marietta merged with Lockheed in 1995. Martin Marietta had a large facility in Denver (Littleton) which is now a large LM facility, one of many Lockheed facilities around the country. That said, I am not a LM historian / expert.

Thanks,

As it turns out, these were some good questions ...

#1 Hint: one unit has a half glass face while the other an aluminum faceplate
#11 Hint: output tubes were WE 350B

#1 is just one of those things - I figured @CruzBay would have jumped all over that one. MC2300 had RCA inputs only, although more than one had 1/4" or even XLR inputs added by touring companies, roadies, etc. MC3500 had RCA or BNC inputs on both the front and rear panels.

Some ATF musings:

I knew what I didn't know, so I stayed out of it. Never have seen an MC-3500, nor any device with all 3 connections; I would've guessed an earlier industrial type, but I knew the 2300/2500 and 2600 had 2/3 types, not all 3.
2) NFI (without looking it up)
3) I knew the MX-110, but not the other...
4) Would have guessed the MC-2002...We never sold them.
5) The MR-78, but we only sold the MR-7082 and (briefly) the MR-7083
6) Would have been beyond the C-26, as mine doesn't have one. Another guess OTW!
7) It'd be offhand, but the Navy had MC-2500 modified for sonar uses, one company had MC-40's modified for shoe sizing machines (or something like that) As written; shaker tables, one that involved me (and an MC-2500) was the government outfit at 50 and 495 Virginia (SPCT or something) that was using the thing for an airport security device. They blew the thing 3 or 4 times by misconnecting it. Mcintosh stopped warranty servicing it.

Don't know any others except the Apple one.

Made some general guesses on the various questions, got a few of them correct. Figured I'd plop this here for #10:
mac128k_2.jpg

Yes, I own it. Pretty sure the license notice doesn't appear anywhere on the case; perhaps in the manuals or somesuch. Inside the case, though, there are some lovely signatures.......... :D
-Adam

Made some general guesses on the various questions, got a few of them correct. Figured I'd plop this here for #10:
mac128k_2.jpg

Yes, I own it. Pretty sure the license notice doesn't appear anywhere on the case; perhaps in the manuals or somesuch. Inside the case, though, there are some lovely signatures.......... :D
-Adam
My dad bought one in 1984. To date, I've still never used an easier drawing program than MacPaint. By 1985, I had upgraded it to a "fat mac" by installing a 512k (!) RAM Kit. I also connected the 1/8" audio jack to the stereo system in the den (where the computer was) so I could play all of the audio files in full glory - I had to be one of the very first to do PC audio! We never did buy a SCSI external hard drive for it, though that was all the rage. My how things have changed.

Its not the chrome finish, Also it has tube rectifier. Leads me to believe its older (pre MC75). The MC 60 uses 5U4s.
I'd guess an industrial version of an MC60 or some precursor. I only spy one rectifier tube but 2 6550s so .....I'm stumped:dunno:

Back
Top Bottom