McIntosh Turntable Poll

stainless steel,yep......His big sellin point. I read (somewhere, don't remember) that someone is gearring up to sell these things again.....updated of course more powerfull ect..., anyone hear that??

stainless steel,yep......His big sellin point. I read (somewhere, don't remember) that someone is gearring up to sell these things again.....updated of course more powerfull ect..., anyone hear that??
Some guy in the Houston area has all the parts in a warehouse. Enough to build several hundred IIRC. Not sure about an updated power-plant though. The Volvo rig certainly left a bunch to be desired.

Me.....am really looking forward to seeing the Mc TT in person. It is starting to 'itch', being a vinylophile.

Don't pay restorer-john no 'never-mind'. He has recently posted that the Japanese 'perfected' stereo electronics many years ago. So there is nothing left for McIntosh or others to do in regard to making anything better. :D

I'm afraid the $9,000.00 price tag is going to keep me out. I could upgrade to 501"s!!!
I'm confident the customer is paying at least a third of that $9k for the convenience of plug-n-play. They simply want decent, instant, analog capability, and have no interest (unlike us hobbyists) in selecting and assembling table, arm, and cartridge; and are willing/able to pay a premium for avoiding that part of it. That profile has represented the typical McIntosh customer for many years. And there really aren't a lot of good products for people like that -- what should they buy? B.B.& O.**? It's either Mac or Goldmund if they want PnP, great quality, and a full product line. McIntosh knows its primary customers perfectly, just like Neiman Marcus :thmbsp:

An MT-10 turntable would never make me happy because:
  • I'd have to accept McIntosh's choices.
  • I could never make changes. Ever.
  • I wouldn't get to enjoy any creative satisfaction.
  • And even if I was very happy with the performance, I'd know I paid extra money and had less fun.
  • And the meter is too big for what it does.
** Bang, Bose, and Olefson

• And even if I was very happy with the performance, I'd know I paid extra money and had less fun.

same here.......

Curious to see how it sounds though, with a platter which glows green (or blue ? :scratch2:) ! I wonder if you'll hear a special 'aura' around certain instruments ?

Clearly sound performance is key to any purchase.

That said how many changes can one make to, or how much creative satisfaction can one get from, a MCD/MDA combo or for that matter any other CD player? Why should a TT have to offer unlimited combinations of arms, cartridges, etc. to be considered a viable option? Isn't the musical satisfaction one gets the real goal.

Many of us interested in this hobby do not have experience setting up tables, so having a solution like Mac is offering may be right for some. Thus I agree that Mac is perhaps on to something here.

No reason to fault those who may want this type of analog option and certainly no point to dismiss this product for these reasons.

I guess we are used to being able to tweak our products to some degree. If Mcintosh sold me my MC2000 with all the tubes welded in and which had to be factory replaced, a fixed power cord and interconnects already attached which could not be removed, I would probably buy something else. It doesn't mean I would necessarily tweak all those items but I would like to have a choice if and when I desire to do so. :yes:

I see no problem with Mc selling a product which is plug and play. I do have a problem with a product that is ONLY plug and play especially when it comes to TT where tweaking is a very common trait in those that listen to LPs especially at this rarified price. A ready-to-go Project for $150 I can accept. :yes:This, btw coming from someone who has only just got into Lps and has not tweaked anything yet.:yes:

Anyhow I hope it sounds great when you get a chance to listen! :thmbsp:

howie

I'm confident the customer is paying at least a third of that $9k for the convenience of plug-n-play. They are someone who simply wants decent, instant, analog capability. Who has no interest (like us hobbyists) in selecting and assembling table, arm, and cartridge; and who is willing/able to pay a premium for avoiding that part of it. That profile has represented the typical McIntosh customer for many years. And there really aren't a lot of good products for people like that -- what should they buy? B.B.& O.**? It's either Mac or Goldmund if you want PnP, great quality, and a full product line. McIntosh knows its primary customers perfectly, just like Neiman Marcus :thmbsp:

yeah, I hear ya :)

For that money, one could buy a transrotor Orfeo (which does look better), with a big SME arm on it...

and you could have fun setting it up...

Back
Top Bottom