Mcintosh vs Modded Hafler

as16450

I have a dilemma and would like some input from those more knowledgeable than me. I have inherited a McIntosh MC2250 amp. Here is my dilemma I currently have a Hafler XL-600 that has the Musical Concepts upgraded boards in it. It is connected to a Mcintosh MX-117 pre-tuner that Terry Dewick has gone through. The system fills my needs. The 2250 is less wattage but would satisfy what I listen to as the Hafler has rarely gone above half volume. The 2250 has not gone to the shop for any repairs that I am aware of. Question for the group will the 2250 sound better than the modded Hafler? I won’t be keeping both. The 2250 is commanding $2,500 on EBay now The Hafler less than half that even with the mods. Does anyone have input as to the sound differences I can expect? I have not pricked up the 2250 yet so I can’t do a comparisons. I am just beginning the thought process. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Andrew

The Musical concepts mods usually make the Haflers giant equallers. I don't think of the Mc2250 as a giant, but a nice higher powered McIntosh. Seems you have both amps and should listen to them and decide. I think the Hafler might win that competition if it is all in good shape but I don't know the McIntosh sound of the mid-80s. I have Hafler amps, smaller, not modded but use a more modern highly regarded amp, a McCormack.

Sure the McIntosh would need a rebuild to be all up to it best but I think you can get an idea of its sound quality even though some parts may need to be replaced. Then you can decide which you like with your speakers. The speakers may have a very big impact on the results of this test.

I don't know the answer to the specific question and I think I would have to hear both to decide. Since you will be listening let us know what you hear.

I have a Hafler 220 with new (last three years) Musical Concepts upgraded boards and a new fully rebuilt power supply. This Hafler kicks the crap out of many amps in its power class, it is not really even a Hafler anymore except for the power mosfets.

If your like the Hafler with the Musical Concept mods call John and ask him about the power supply mods. It may be a lot cheaper and take your amp to another level. There are options for better transformers, better diodes, and much better filter caps. Good sounding amps start with the power supply.

good luck, Bob

It is going to be a toss-up. Here's why:

- Any McIntosh amp of that age needs some remedial work to bring it back up to spec. Even if you do the work yourself, you can't really compare it to the likes of a Musical Concepts Hafler from a sonic standpoint. Frankly, I'd not run the Mac until it had been checked and recapped.

- On the positive side, the Mac is going to return your investment far better than the modded Hafler. Personally, I'm ok with that because I tend to keep modded gear for myself and do not factor that aspect into my hobby. Others may well have different value perceptions about that.

Full disclaimer: I have modded quite a few Haflers with the Musical Concepts driver boards and power supplies and also have restored Mac gear both tube and SS.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

The McIntosh also will be more reliable long term, is better built, has more conservative engineering, and somewhat supported by McIntosh today.

Between Hafler XL-600, Hafler DH-500, and ADCOM GFA 555, would the Haflers be the better choice??

It appears that XL-600 and DH-500 differ in wattage....?

I have a dilemma and would like some input from those more knowledgeable than me. I have inherited a McIntosh MC2250 amp. Here is my dilemma I currently have a Hafler XL-600 that has the Musical Concepts upgraded boards in it. It is connected to a Mcintosh MX-117 pre-tuner that Terry Dewick has gone through. The system fills my needs. The 2250 is less wattage but would satisfy what I listen to as the Hafler has rarely gone above half volume. The 2250 has not gone to the shop for any repairs that I am aware of. Question for the group will the 2250 sound better than the modded Hafler? I won’t be keeping both. The 2250 is commanding $2,500 on EBay now The Hafler less than half that even with the mods. Does anyone have input as to the sound differences I can expect? I have not pricked up the 2250 yet so I can’t do a comparisons. I am just beginning the thought process. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Andrew
We don't have your ears so it is like asking strangers if they prefer coffee over tea it matters not at all what we prefer since we arent listening to it. Listen to the MC2250 amp then decide for yourself you may love it or hate it. I have heard McIntosh gear that sounded great other items sucked only you can decide if you like the sound.

Regards Snow

Back
Top Bottom