McIntosh XR5 Speakers

If you are looking for one of the two tweeters they were relatively generic Royal Conehagens, the soon to be Peerless company. They seldom fail.

If you are speaking of the mid dome, under the metal grille, see and join the recent 036-035 thread.

You want to go to Roger Russell's website about Mcintosh, and read about the ML and XR series speakers. All the specifications are there and the theory behind the design of the speakers and why the need of the EQ. If you think about it, all speakers depending on location need bass EQ. Where Mac speakers need 4 position of boost, Other SOB speakers might require two boost positions and two attenuation positions. Mcintosh built the set of speakers to seriously produce 20 HZ. They also produced 20,000 hz with out being irritating. Though designed a point source speakers at close listing distances they can reveal whats recorded very faithfully.

When I received my pair of XR5s which have been reformed by Fred's Sound of Music in Portland Oregon, I opened them up and started to marvel the first rated construction way beyond any vintage speakers I have had the luck to see. Everything inside and out spell quality and precision. To improve the already pleasing sound, the cheap wire connectors were removed and wires soldered to drivers, fuses bypassed, and binding posts replaced with KLEI naked Harmonys. The result was a clean extended sound on both ends without muffling. Users of Mc speakers should do these simple things before any XO work.

Back
Top Bottom