McIntoshes Most Amazing Achievement 1950s

Victor

Hi All,
I was thinking a fun thread would be to see what people think the most amazing McIntosh Labs achievement is, but there are so many I thought it would be better to break it up into decades.

I thought the 1950s would be the best place to start because the 1940s most amazing achievement has to be the Unity Coupled transformer.

So here it is:

What is McIntoshes Most Amazing Achievement of the 1950s?

It could be a piece of equipment, a new circuit design, a division, an upgrade at the lab building... any achievement is fair game.

If the thread is popular I was thinking we do each thread for a week. If people respond I will post the 1960s achievement next Monday. Let me know if you like the thread. :thmbsp:

Victor

Is 1949 cheating?

I think the starting point to McIntsoh technical design was the Unity circuit which it patented. This enabled low-distortion tube amps to become a reality.

Number 9 said:
Is 1949 cheating?

I think the starting point to McIntsoh technical design was the Unity circuit which it patented. This enabled low-distortion tube amps to become a reality.
Funny, I was going to say the same thing. I happened on one of the very early McIntosh amps, with a separate PS chassis. I thought the guy might sell it to me cheap, but I didn't have enough to make an offer that wasn't a joke.

When Frank McI came up with that tricky magnetic stuff with the tertiary windings etc., how much of it was his careful application of established principles to audio, and how much of it was still more original? I bet one of you guys know if the definitive history has been written, and where.

Number 9 said:
Is 1949 cheating?

:) :) Yes this is cheating. :) :)

I agree without the Unity Coupled transformer design we probably wouldn't be here talking about McIntosh today. But I thought starting with the 1940s would be boring. I thought I would just concede the most amazing McIntosh achievement of the 1940s to the Unity Coupled transformer design.

:) :) :) So on with the 1950s :) :) :)

Thanks,
Victor

Last edited:
The culmination of all their prowess distilled into the 225 Mac. I have heard most of their amps {save for that 350 watt tube monster and anything after the 2002 sans the autoformers} and the 225 sounds most refined. I am not aware what year in the 50's. The 60's? MX 110........ I believe the first year was 61. I cannot be held responsible for being just me >smirk< MY opinion.

Well, I'm a fanboy of the model MC-30, so the 1950's cannot be discussed without talking about this classic. The MC-30 is the merging of the unity coupled transformer with the now famous black and chrome look that is unmistakably McIntosh. The MC-30's tube rectified sweetness makes this amp very popular amonst high efficiency enthusiasts, and still today is the first choice by owners in many systems (including mine).

In my dreams, Mac would build these again :yes:

The real achievement, IMO, is the fact that these are still considered "all time greats" by so many - and that they still perform so well after all those years. Quite amazing, really.

Last edited:
BTW, the new 275 MarkIV is not a bad sounding amp. To me it sounds better than any of the earlier 275s; sorry for the digression to the present although I don't own any of the new stuff. IMO, the MC30 is sweet, and so is the 225, 230 and the 1500 receiver. There is another MC amp, and I can't remember the model number, uses some kind of transmitting tubes; these amps are still outrageously expensive and rare. Saw a pair go for some $9500!!!

Audible Nectar,

Well said! :)
My first thought of the 1950s also goes to the MC30. Introduced in 1954 and 51 years later I would love to hear a pair in my modern stereo. If only I could find a pair that are up to spec. In my opinion the MC30 with its low distortion and McIntosh look put McIntosh on the audio map.

Can any other achievements of the 1950s top the MC30. I have one in mind, I'll see if anyone comes up with it first. Stay tunned. :banana:

Victor

Aage
I'm not sure when Panloc was invented but it looks like the first application was 1962 with the MX110, it was also used starting in 1963 on the MR67, MR71 and C22. It may have been used earlier I'm not sure. The first system was called Pan-loc and it was invented by Tom Rogers at McIntosh. They must have been working on this before 1962 so for this thread I think Panloc is close enough to the 1950s.

I think the cool thing about Panloc is it gives you the feal of professional studio equipment in your home. :) A very cool achievement!

Victor

How about the introduction of the first McIntosh tuner, the MR-55 in 1957 (Not to downplay the magnitude of the Panloc achievement)... and we don't have to cheat on the date!

Bill,
Yes a great achievement! The MR55 was the first McIntosh source. Imagine the learning curve on that one! And from what I hear the MR55 is pretty good. I have never heard any of the mono tuners.

exracer,
Are you talking about the blue meter lights? (only green when nicely aged). If so the meters were introducer in 1967 with the MC2105 and MC2505.

Victor

I beleive that the first Mc amps to have the glass front with the green meters was either the MC2105 or the MC2505. Both were introduced in 1967. They were the earliest SS amps Mc built and I don't think that there had been any tube amps built in that configuration.

Perhaps Ron-C has the definitive opinion here.

Victor said:
exracer,
Are you talking about the blue meter lights? (only green when nicely aged). If so the meters were introducer in 1967 with the MC2105 and MC2505.

Victor

I think he is talking about the green illuminated nomenclature on the preamps and such. Like my C33 has gold nomenclature that turns teal when you turn the unit on.

Hi All,
As I said in post #8 my first thought of most amazing 1950s achievement was the MC30, but after giving it some thought and thinking of the term "good people are hard to find" here is what came up with.

I think McIntoshes most amazing achievement of the 1950s was completed in 1951 with the hiring of Sidney Corderman. Think of it by 1951 just a few years after starting McIntosh the core group of Frank McIntosh, Maurice Painchaud, Gordon Gow and Sidney Corderman were all in place. These men would shape the future of McIntosh for decades to come. The people made the company great and the high quality stereo products they gave the world are their legacy. So it is hard to put into words but I think McIntoshes most amazing achievement of the 1950s was creating a world class staff.

Victor

I think the best product/achievment of the 1950 was the C8 and C8S "Audio Compensator" aka preamp. That one preamp could eq almost any recording properly no matter what the curve was. It was reliable, clean, and nearly transparent. Darn nice unit.

rich

Yes Rich,

The C8 compensators were a huge achievement. I have not heard one of these in proper working condition but from what I have read about them I would say for someone putting together a system to listen to 78s and early 33s the C8 is a must. I would love to put together a system for listening to 78s someday just to show my friends how good 78s can sound. Plus most people don't want 78s so you could pick up some great old recordings for cheep.

Victor

the meters are blue you say? like I said my knowledge is lacking. Well my c-38 is definitely green... anyways I was almost a decade off...

Back
Top Bottom