McIntoshes Most Amazing Achievement 1950s

yuck- thats blurry- Ill see if I can do better next time.. anyway the audio is whats important to me, not the video !

exracer

Yes I now see what you mean by green lights, I misinterpreted and thought you were talking about the amp power meters.

I think the C20 preamp in 1959 was the first usage of a glass face plate on a preamp. I don't think the C20 face plate was backlit green but you can see that with the first usage of the glass face plate it was a design that has been used in almost every McIntosh component all the way to today with a distinct look that seperates McIntosh from the rest.

So yes the glass face plate is a great design achievement that gives McIntosh the look that we all love (or at least most of us).

Victor

Last edited:
My favorite Pre-amp from Mac {C-20}. So Vic, Men behind the movement? I concur, Gordon Gow with his insight toward talent. Here is a story from the late Edward Tatnall Canby {Writer for defunct Audio} He met Gordon Gow once and was suitably impressed by this man's character whom during their conversation episodically vocalized the sound Pssssssst whereby his two siamese cats would jump waist high into the air. The qualities of patience/insight/intuition/perseverance come to mind. Is apparent he possessed the same skills in other areas of his life beyond the impressive parlor trick with his pets. Incidently, there use to be a Restaurant in NY state that Gordon dined @ frequently offering the "Gow Cut". Yes Victor , midrange purity of 78's is almost beyond belief.......... this learned when I got my hands on some Savoy recordings of Charlie Parker {circa 46-48} that were pressed in 1955 IN London by London/Decca .......... My American Savoy Pressings are junk compared to the transfer of these 78's to 33 1/3.

CleanTimeStream

I look foward to a book about McIntosh so we can read more stories about these great men and the early days of Mcintosh.

Victor

I look foward to a book about McIntosh so we can read more stories about these great men and the early days of Mcintosh.

me too.i dont know if you already know this but mcintosh is indeed putting together a book and ron-c said it would be available towards the end of the year.i know ill be getting one. :yes:
chris

Rich Andrews said:
I think the best product/achievment of the 1950 was the C8 and C8S "Audio Compensator" aka preamp. That one preamp could eq almost any recording properly no matter what the curve was. It was reliable, clean, and nearly transparent. Darn nice unit.

rich
I got my mitts on one of these (C8 notS) today and I am really impressed with it after putting into use on my terms. I would like to find another now for sure. :yes:

Carl

CarlV said:
I got my mitts on one of these (C8 notS) today and I am really impressed with it after putting into use on my terms. I would like to find another now for sure. :yes:

Carl

This begs the question. What exatly are "your terms" Carl? Sounds like you run a tight ship there. :)>)

Rich "Aye Cap'n" Andrews

Rich Andrews said:
This begs the question. What exatly are "your terms" Carl? Sounds like you run a tight ship there. :)>)

Rich "Aye Cap'n" Andrews
:D
It is just that it always seems that when I listen to nice gear that is not mine
it is always seems the music is along the lines of Yo Yo Ma or Patricia Barber.
Poor auditioning choices IMHO. :smoke:

Carl

A C8 and a MC30 or MC60 define the word HiFi for the 50's, add an MR55 and you have the whole sound that can not be surpassed today even with it's mono format.

Well said Terry
As we have seen here there were many amazing achievements in the 1950s. Thank you everyone for the responces. Tonight I will post a new thread for the 1960s.

Victor

Back
Top Bottom