Mcs 3872

From what I can find on the Audio Technica pl50, the specs are actually worse than the TT's we've been talking about. If I was looking for my first turntable, it might be ok, BUT knowing what I do from all my years, and especially the great people here on AK, there are MUCH better alternatives - even for less $$

Rob

Where are you located? If you use Craigslist, or have some thrift store in your town, look there for a vintage model. They can be found for $10-50, and will blow away anything we've talked about here as far as sound quality, build, and reliability.

I'm all about Technics turntables, and would steer you towards an old SL-D2 or SL-D3. Great specs and sonics.

Rob

I was surprised about how good my 6202 sounded, I don't know about the 6205 though.

Hi Sir.Byrd - Did you know the specs of your 6202? I have them if you are interested....:no:

It's not pretty, but we all know that specs on paper are one thing - it's the actual sound that is important.:yes:

Rob

From what I can find on the Audio Technica pl50, the specs are actually worse than the TT's we've been talking about. If I was looking for my first turntable, it might be ok, BUT knowing what I do from all my years, and especially the great people here on AK, there are MUCH better alternatives - even for less $$

Rob

Thanks so much, I was really considering that TT until I found the site today. I'll use the 6205 (it it fully functioning) until I can find something different. I am located in Columbus, OH. I visit my local VOA a couple times a month. They infrequently have TTs, last time they had an AIWA but I don't recall the model number. No cartridge and the dust cover was in very bad shape. I am always on the lookout though.

The only thing I have gotten there so far is a Sony 5-disc CD changer for $3. I don't know how good the specs are, but it was a good deal.

Hi Sir.Byrd - Did you know the specs of your 6202? I have them if you are interested....:no:

It's not pretty, but we all know that specs on paper are one thing - it's the actual sound that is important.:yes:

Rob

Yeah I know they are bad, but the tonearm seemed better quality that everything else.:scratch2:
The cartridge was also upgraded by the person I loaned it to.

Thanks so much, I was really considering that TT until I found the site today. I'll use the 6205 (it it fully functioning) until I can find something different. I am located in Columbus, OH. I visit my local VOA a couple times a month. They infrequently have TTs, last time they had an AIWA but I don't recall the model number. No cartridge and the dust cover was in very bad shape. I am always on the lookout though.

The only thing I have gotten there so far is a Sony 5-disc CD changer for $3. I don't know how good the specs are, but it was a good deal.

Yes, the 6205 will be good until something better comes along. The spec that worried me the most for that model was the speed deviation. A good direct drive will lower that number to around 0.06%, and a quartz locked model will lower it even more.

Sometimes, a good gauge of how good a TT is initially, is it's weight. 20lbs. or more, and you should have a good one on your hands. The SL-D2 and SL-D3 I mentioned have very heavy platters - a sign of quality. And with their standard mount headshells, you have many more options for GREAT cartridges and stylii to really make your records sing.

Many AKer's have SL-D2's and SL-D3's. I have two SL-D5's (the changer model) that I absolutely love. Built like tanks - they will go forever and give you no problems.

Rob

Yeah I know they are bad, but the tonearm seemed better quality that everything else.:scratch2:
The cartridge was also upgraded by the person I loaned it to.

Right you are! The tonearm on that model was nice - a low mass straight aluminum pipe with a standard mount cart options. Simple, good looking, and effective.

Rob

Thanks Rob for all your input today. You can tell I'm new to this and I really appreciate your research and advice.

Thanks Rob for all your input today. You can tell I'm new to this and I really appreciate your research and advice.

Your very welcome. Any AKer would have been equally helpful - it's just that I have a thing for old MCS gear.:thmbsp:

Come back and visit often. If and when you get a TT with a standard mount cartridge, there are many more options - and also more set up tricks (guidelines) to get the best alignment and stylus pressure. Your P-mount is factory set to optimize the performance, but many TT guys like an S-shape tonearm that you can adjust till your hearts content.:D

Rob

The MCS TT is a belt drive? I have the 6502 to go with my stuff. Not familiar with yours. BUT, I can say from servicing mine, that a good clean and lube for the spindle bearing and a new belt help immensely in getting the speed to stay put. Mine was built for MCS by Technics. It's a decent performer for what it does (LPs in the shop). I have other TTs that are much better (spec wise), but it holds its own through the 3245 receiver :)

Suggest you stay firmly away from The AT PL50. It's not worth the bother. The AT PL120 on the other hand is an OK starter table.

8360 Speaker specs:

Woofer: 12" cone 11oz magnet with a 3" bass reflex port
Midrange: 4" cone 1.76oz magnet
Tweeter: 2.5" cone 1.76oz magnet
power cabability: 10-110 watts
8 ohm
crossover frequency: 2.5k - 8k hz
dimensions: 29x15.75x11.75"
overall weight 167 lbs (yikes! - must be total boxed weight)

8229 speaker specs:

woofer: 10" 12oz. magnet weight
midrange: 1.5" soft dome 12oz. magnet weight
tweeter: 2" cone 2oz magnet weight
power capability: 10-60 watts
crossover level control for tweeter/midrange
bass reflex port design
8 ohm
crossover frequency: 700 - 8000hz
weight: 36lbs
dimensions: 13x25x10.5"

The 8360's are flashier with the white woofers and the bright speaker trim rings.

The 8229's have a more classic look and are probably built better.

Both pair probably need new woofer surrounds by now....

Hope this helps....I have not listened to either pair to have an opinion.

Rob

Last edited:
I do love the meters on the cassette deck, I only have one cassette, though (even cassettes are a little before my time). I'd rather get into vinyl 'cause it is more fun.

If you end up using the 3246 receiver, I would try to convince you to keep the 3556 cassette deck with it. Even if you don't listen to cassettes, these two components look perfect stacked with each other. I spent years looking for the 3556, just so it would match my 3246. And besides, if your's is in the same condition as mine, it will serve you well if you ever want to play around with it.

Besides, you can't make a proverbial "mix tape" for someone special without it!!

Rob

It will all be kept together, they're all in the same glass cabinet, I just need to bring it upstairs. Condition is excellent on all the items (Receiver, Cassette, TT). The 8360's have no foam left at all and the flashy ring has fallen off. The foam is cracked, but not deteriorating on the 8229, but there is something else wrong with them that makes them cut in and out and only work sometimes.

It will all be kept together, they're all in the same glass cabinet, I just need to bring it upstairs. Condition is excellent on all the items (Receiver, Cassette, TT). The 8360's have no foam left at all and the flashy ring has fallen off. The foam is cracked, but not deteriorating on the 8229, but there is something else wrong with them that makes them cut in and out and only work sometimes.

Nice to hear that. As for the 8229's if the foam has little cracks, but is otherwise still ok, you can kinda fix it easily.

You didn't hear this from me, but I've used something like rubber cement - some sort of plyible adhesive that has some stretch to it after it sets. You can brush some over the cracks to seal it up, and then play some music through it (so the cone moves) while it dries. I've done this on a woofer of mine with great results. Leaving the surround cracked may introduce distortion. This will hold you over until you re-foam them - if you want.

Rob

I would have more interest in the 8229's if I could figure out their problem with cutting in and out, but thanks for the info, nonetheless.

I would have more interest in the 8229's if I could figure out their problem with cutting in and out, but thanks for the info, nonetheless.

It could be something as simple as a loose connection somewhere along the musical path. I wouldn't kill myself over them. You could get them working, and not like the sound.

Since speakers (and TT carts) can yield the most improvement in sound quality in a system, maybe save up and look for some better quality speakers - hopefully vintage - lol.

There are MANY speaker experts on this forum who could steer you in the right direction. My MCS system is currently hooked up to two Realistic Minimus 7's and a Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II passive subwoofer. A very inexpensive set up, yet can fill a small room with great sound.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom