MCS 6700 A "New" Old Friend

Phase700b

AK Lurker & Kinsman
Well, my stable of Technics TT consist of an SL-1700, SL-1750 (dark charcoal Euro version of SL-1700), and an old MCS belt drive TT that I can not recall at the moment. But I also had an MCS 6700 that I wanted to clean up and repair a bit. I forgot what an impressive TT this is. I really love the dark color scheme and even more so, the upgraded controls compared to it's sister SL-1950.

I wanted to quickly test it out so I outfitted it with an Audio Technica AT-92ET cartridge and. . . . I am amazed. I put on my copy of Linda Ronstadt/Nelson Riddle "For Sentimental Reasons" and the detail clarity, natural full base of the orchestra and soundstage far belie the humble stature of this p-mount universal cartridge. Anyone who hasn't tried this little gem on some of the mid grade TTs out there is missing out. I have the AT-92ET mounted for use as a test cartridge when I am not sure how a TT will react after repair, cleaning, or trouble shooting. I may need to rethink this.

Here's my cleaned up MCS 6700:

100_0783.jpg

100_0784.jpg

100_0788.jpg

100_0781.jpg

100_0789.jpg

Attachments

• 100_0783.jpg
    100_0783.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_0784.jpg
    100_0784.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Love the 6700. It's my main table, and everybody comments on how beautiful it is. I run a Stanton 681EEE with stereohedron stylus. Linda Ronstadt never sounded so good.

Enjoy! :music:

Love the 6700. It's my main table, and everybody comments on how beautiful it is. I run a Stanton 681EEE with stereohedron stylus. Linda Ronstadt never sounded so good.

Enjoy! :music:

A Stanton. . . I have two of the 681EEE. Not sure of the stylus they have, but they came in very nice walnut cases with a little metal inner box and mounting hardware and a really cool small screwdriver.

Yes, I love the dark charcoal base. It is very similar to the Technics SL-1750 I also have. And Linda DOES sound superb on MCS 6700. Going to have to try it with a Stanton 681EEE!

One thing about Technics changers, though. They don't have adjustable VTA, and are set at the factory to have the ideal VTA when playing the third of a stack of six records.

I normally just play one record at a time, so the VTA is off by a bit. I solved this by placing another rubber platter mat on top of the original one. It's about the thickness of two records, so that should bring my VTA closer to ideal. Experiment a bit and see if you can dial in the VTA, and get even better sound. Maybe you'll be able to tell a difference - maybe not. I noticed an improvement. :thmbsp:

:thmbsp:

I agree, unlike my SL-1750 single play turntable that does have adjustable VTA, the MCS 6700 changer does not. And, I happen to have two spare Technics rubber mats and will use one to raise the record up.

I see your MCS has a program control, can it select tracks. I have an MCS with that function, it has a infared emitter\receiver fitted in the headshell and can automatically go to any track on the record.

I see your MCS has a program control, can it select tracks. I have an MCS with that function, it has a infared emitter\receiver fitted in the headshell and can automatically go to any track on the record.

The programmable MCS TT was the 6800. The 6700 was only a changer, and the "program" control was identical to Technics "Mem-O-Gram" - where you set it to the number of records you are stacking - so it knows when to shut off after the last record. It also could be set at "R", to continuously repeat a record.

photo+4.JPG

photo+5.JPG

The MCS 6700 is an excellent turntable, one of the true hidden gems. Because of its name (JC Penny's house brand), it won't receive as much attention as a Technics SL-1900/1950, but I feel this is the better model, thanks to the thicker frame and stylish buttons. If you find one in good condition, grab it immediately.

Because it stacks six LPs, VTA is a challenge, but it's very easy to fix. All I did was place a Sony PS-X5 rubber mat on top of the 6700's mat, and the tonearm is perfectly level for playing a single record. I'm sure any thick Technics mat will also work.

Be sure to oil the motor, grease the bearings, check the wiring and speed pots, and then pack the inside frame with 7lbs of modeling clay (non-hardening). In my case, I also placed Vibrapods underneath the feet for added dampening.

For phono cartridge, I installed a Denon DL-110, and it sounds fantastic. It's an excellent combination and looks great.

EDIT: I added a couple photos of the family's MCS 6700 in action.

Last edited:
Well, my stable of Technics TT consist of an SL-1700, SL-1750 (dark charcoal Euro version of SL-1700), and an old MCS belt drive TT that I can not recall at the moment. But I also had an MCS 6700 that I wanted to clean up and repair a bit. I forgot what an impressive TT this is. I really love the dark color scheme and even more so, the upgraded controls compared to it's sister SL-1950.

I wanted to quickly test it out so I outfitted it with an Audio Technica AT-92ET cartridge and. . . . I am amazed. I put on my copy of Linda Ronstadt/Nelson Riddle "For Sentimental Reasons" and the detail clarity, natural full base of the orchestra and soundstage far belie the humble stature of this p-mount universal cartridge. Anyone who hasn't tried this little gem on some of the mid grade TTs out there is missing out. I have the AT-92ET mounted for use as a test cartridge when I am not sure how a TT will react after repair, cleaning, or trouble shooting. I may need to rethink this.

Here's my cleaned up MCS 6700:

100_0783.jpg

100_0784.jpg

100_0788.jpg

100_0781.jpg

100_0789.jpg

I had to add to this older thread. Still enjoying rotating my MCS 6700 turntable into use and have to say, I agree this Technics SL1950 in disguise is a beautiful turntable and excellent play and control quality.
As another member said, I love the control levers and dial and the black color scheme.
Alas, I have too many turntables and now must decide what needs to go. The others are a Technics SL1700, SL1750, Dual 1219, Dual 1209, and a Miracord 40H. And another one or two I have in storage.

Back
Top Bottom