MCS 6700 Headshell and Cartridge/Stylus Recommendations

MCM_Fan

AK Subscriber
Last night, I picked up an MCS 67000 that was missing the headshell, and (of course) did not come with a cartridge. Even minus those parts, it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Before I pulled the trigger, I did my due diligence and am aware that it is an improved version of the Technics SL-1950, a changer. It also did not come with the multi-play spindle. So, for now, single play only for me (with stacked mats to achieve proper VTA). Based on my previous experience with another Panasonic-made MCS table (the 6601 - an improved version of the Technics SL-2000), I am eager to give this table a try.

I currently have only two 1/2" headshells. One is the original MCS-6601 headshell that has the original Shure 2215 (same as the Shure M93E) mounted. The other is a lightweight Pioneer headshell with a Shure R47XT (same internals as an M95ED, but different plastic shroud that only accepts the low profile NCD form factor stylii).

I'd like to pick up a few inexpensive headshells for the ease of swapping carts as I try several and zero in on the combination of cartridge/stylus that works best with this table.

So, first question, are there any sub-$20 headshells that are of decent build quality. I eventually plan to buy a higher quality headshell (probably a Zupreme from LPGear), but want to have several inexpensive ones on hand for experiments and comparisons.

I have a Frys nearby and they have the Audio Technica AT-HS1 in stock for $19.99. It generally gets good reviews, although there are a few complaints about azimuth misalignment. That's less of an issue for me, as I can check it out before purchase, and return it if there are any problems.

7604-Audio-Technica-AT-HS1-Headshell-fuer-1-2-Zoll--Tona.jpg

8534219.01.big.jpg

Is this decent low cost headshell, or is there something else in the same price range (or less) that would be better?

On to the carts and stylii...

Since the MCS/Technics has a medium (bordering on heavy) mass arm, I'll leave out the ones that are only compatible with low mass arms. I have several vintage Shures, all currently with elliptical stylii, that are capable of accepting a wide range of stylii, plus a couple new conicals I've been dying to try out.

Here's what I have:

Shure 2215 - currently running an EVG N75ED stylus that tracks between 0.75 and 1.5g. Since this cart accepts any N75, N91 or N93 stylus there are LOTS of options. The original 2225 stylus is a 0.4 x 0.7 mill elliptical with a 1.5 - 3g recommended VTF (same as the N93E). I also have a JICO N91ED stylus on the way that I'd ordered a couple days ago for my M91ED cart (see below). Using this cart is a no brainer. It's already mounted and aligned, and accepts a huge range of stylii (ellipticals, hyperellipticals, conicals, etc.) So, it will be my jumping off point and serve as my baseline for comparing other cart/stylus combinations.

Shure_2215.jpg

Shure R47XT - currently mounted in a lightweight Pioneer headshell with a NOS Shure ne95ED stylus (0.2 x 0.7 mill elliptical 0.75 - 1.5g recommended VTF). Probably best left for a table with a lighter arm, but may still give it a try.

Shure_Ne95_ED_3.jpg

Shure M91ED - JICO replacement stylus on the way. Currently mounted in a Dual sled. Redundant, since the 2215 is electrically equivalent and accepts the same stylii. Will save this one for the Dual.

Shure_M91_ED.jpg

I have a few more Shures, but they are all either currently mounted in Elac or Dual sleds. I'll just use the 2215, with a variety of stylii to represent them all. I may try to track down a NOS N93E to try a heavier tracking elliptical with this table/arm. The 2215/2225 (same stylus as the N93E) was a popular factory installed combination on these Technics-made MCS tables.

Moving on to the conicals. I have some new carts/conical stylii I have been dying to try, and this table seems like a good test bed.

Audio Technica AT3600L - this is the Chinese made inexpensive cart that is getting good reviews here on AK. It's a 0.6 mil conical with the carbon fiber cantilever and a recommended VTF of 2.5 - 3.5g (although several AKers report favorable results tracking at 2 - 2.25g).

AT-3600_L.jpg

Shure SC35C - I picked up a couple of these before the prices skyrocketed. They came with the stock SS35C stylus, which is a 0.7 mil conical with a recommended VTF of 4.0 - 5.0g. I also have a NOS Made in the USA Shure 0.6 mil conical for this one, as well as a JICO N44-7X on the way, which is rumored to be a 0.6 mil conical with a recommended VTF of 1.5 - 3g (in spite or different specs listed on the LPTunes web site - I have an email in to JICO to determine the correct specs). I really wanted a genuine Shure N35X, but haven't been able to find one at a reasonable price, so I decided to give the JICO equivalent a try.

Shure_SC35_C.jpg

NOS_SS35_C_2.jpg

NOS_SS35_C_5.jpg

Other than these, anything I've missed (short of buying several new cartridges)? Anything you've tried, like maybe a heavier tracking elliptical or a lighter tracking conical, on an MCS or Technics with a comparable arm? Anything that worked particularly well (or particularly poorly) with this table/arm (or similar)? Any heavier tracking elliptical (up to 3g) or conicals I should try on the 2215? In addition to the countless new replacement options (N75, N91 and N93 compatible), it seems like it's still possible to get NOS genuine Shure replacements of the heavier elliptical and conical varieties are reasonable prices.

First up, I'll give the 2215 with the EVG N75ED a try, since it's already mounted in a headshell and ready to go. Next up, I'll probaby swing by Frys some night this week, pick up one of the AT HS1 headshells, mount up the AT3600L and give it a try. These are the lowest hanging fruit. So, I'll start here.

Two other potential, but more expensive options...

I've been wanting to try a Nagaoka MP-110 for a couple years. This my be a good opportunity to see how one sounds compared to my classic Shure cartridges. Its a medium tracking (1.5 - 2g recommended) 0.4 x 0.7 mill elliptical that would seem to be a good match for this arm - sort of a modern version of the original 2215/2225 combination that came standard on this table.

The other option is a more expensive stylus (hyperelliptical or VividLine) for the R47XT. Not sure if the compliance would be too high for this arm, though? Maybe doable by adding weight to the headshell.

Any comments on either of these options?

I have two of the AT headshells that I also bought at Frys and am quite happy with them. No issues.

Any of the first three Shures should be OK. I have a M91ED that I run on a similar tonearm and sounds great.

Enjoy the new TT!

Although I have heard about some QC issues with them also, but I have had good luck with the cheapo headshells from ebay that look exactly like that AT shell, except that they are unbranded and come in black or silver. I have at least 4 of them. They run about $9 shipped. I wouldn't be surprised if they come out of the same factory.

Although I have heard about some QC issues with them also, but I have had good luck with the cheapo headshells from ebay that look exactly like that AT shell, except that they are unbranded and come in black or silver. I have at least 4 of them. They run about $9 shipped. I wouldn't be surprised if they come out of the same factory.

I've seen those, and my first thought is black would be a better match for the turntable than silver. Then I saw this:

s-l1000.jpg

file.php

That's the silver version of the headshell that came on my MCS 6601, with the same Shure 2215 cartridge and 2225 stylus. So, maybe silver isn't such a bad option overall.

Any comments on the Ortofon HS-4 headshells. They run about 7 bucks more than the Audio Technica (or about 2 - 3x the generics), but look well made and come in black, silver and blue:

upload_2018-7-16_10-0-35.png
upload_2018-7-16_10-1-8.png
upload_2018-7-16_10-1-50.png

I really like the looks of these Pioneer DJ heashells:

upload_2018-7-16_10-5-10.png
pc-hs01-black-noweight.png

upload_2018-7-16_10-6-20.png
I'd like them even more if they didn't say Pioneer DJ on them. They cost the same as the Ortofon.

The Pioneer comes with a 4g screw in weight (2g weights are also available). The Audio Technica does not come with the weights, but is threaded to accept them. This may come in handy when testing low compliance, heavy tracking conicals.

Last edited:
Ok, maiden voyage of my "new" MCS 6700:

MCS_6700_1.jpg

MCS_6700_2.jpg

Crime_of_the_Century_MCS_6700.jpg

I'm just using the Shure 2215 and headshell from my MCS 6601 with an inexpensive JICO made EVG N75ED stylus to put it through its paces. Sounds pretty good.

Listening to a couple 45s (currently Fast Car by Tracy Chapman) to make sure everything works correctly (it does). Now I think I may have to track down a 45rpm stacking spindle for this guy. It would be nice to queue up half a dozen 45s rather than getting up every 3 minutes to manually change them.

I too have a 6700, have 6 or 7 carts, can't remember, swapping all the time on/off my 2 TT, different headshells for each. Lots of choices out there, I am currently thinking of getting one for a cart with no shell. Ebay has lots of choices as do the usual suspects. May want to look into finding a used/vintage headshell or something as opposed to a new one. I agree, I like the pioneers shown above.

Back
Top Bottom