Mechanical Pencils: What do you have and like?

SA-708

Appalachian-American
My renewed interest in mechanical pencils started with the purchase last month of two BIC Velocity in 0.9mm and 10 Xtra-Strong (current branding for their cheap stick 0.9mm pencils in obnoxious color combinations) on closeout at the grocery store after back-to-school season ended. I'm heavy-handed, and I've preferred the 0.9mm lead size for a few decades now.

I purchased a few more on eBay and Amazon, and then made a "score" on eBay for a lot batch of lead and pencils. It included some great pencils. In the picture were a pair of Pentel "Classic Deluxe" P59 in 0.9mm, and a pair of Alvin Draft/Matics with all the print worn off that took me some time to identify (0.7mm and 0.9mm). It also included a good amount of Pentel lead, including 0.9mm lead in red and blue that are a discontinued product. After winning the auction, the seller sent me message that he'd found a few more pencils he was going to throw in, and one of those turned out to be a second example of one my favorites, a made-in-Japan Koh-I-Noor Rapidomatic 5639 0.9mm that is probably worth more than the total (with shipping) I paid for the lot.

AKers seem picky bordering on obsessive about many products, so I figured I can't be alone in my interest in mechanical pencils. What do y'all have?

Last edited:
image.jpeg

Some new, used, and old pencils, all mentioned above save the old standard, a Pentel P209.

I love the Papermate Sharpwriters. Simple, easy to use and adjust, consistent in quality, never had a problem with one of them. I discovered these when going to IU and considered them an indispensable tool for several math and calculus classes I took.

They are 7mm, but to me the lead seems more sturdy than other pencils. Here is a blurb from the manufacturer's web page:

"Featuring shock-absorbing and twistable tips, Paper Mate® SharpWriter® Mechanical Pencils are designed to reduce lead breakage and eliminate the need to stop and sharpen."

http://www.papermate.com/pencils/mechanical-pencils/sharpwriter/PMSharpwriter.html

Last edited:
I use whatever they buy a box of at work, but at home I still like the holders for big drafting lead, 2 mm? Best sharpener is the hard to find Boston SP or copy.

I love the Papermate Sharpwriters. Simple, easy to use and adjust, consistent in quality, never had a problem with one of them. I discovered these when going to IU and considered them an indispensable tool for several math and calculus classes I took.

They are 7mm, but to me the lead seems more sturdy than other pencils. Here is a blurb from the manufacturer's web page:

"Featuring shock-absorbing and twistable tips, Paper Mate® SharpWriter® Mechanical Pencils are designed to reduce lead breakage and eliminate the need to stop and sharpen."

http://www.papermate.com/pencils/mechanical-pencils/sharpwriter/PMSharpwriter.html

My 4th grader has been using 0.7mm SharpWriters at school this year. I've not yet tried them out myself. Paper Mate only has one current 0.9mm model; I have a couple but don't care for the lead advance button on the side.

As a mathematician, I usually use a Pentel P209 pencil and Clic eraser on a National computation pad, as I have since I was an undergrad. The longer tip on a drafting-style pencil makes it easier to use a straight-edge.

pencil-car-bw.jpg

Woodworker here. Pentel Click 0.9. Like the cushioned grip, lead deploys right under pointing finger, from a metal (not plastic) end. Comes with an inch of eraser that twists to deploy. I buy a dozen at a time online, but they have proven to be very durable, given the abuse heaped upon them at work.

I was a draftsman back in the 80’s and used a lot of Pentel.
Took pride in my line quality and printing to produce some beautiful drawings.
CAD was a buzz kill.
Don’t forget your electric eraser!

Another vote for the P209 and family. This has come up quite a bit lately for some reason.

I remember once trying to treat myself with a Rotring drafting pencil. The non retractable tip would catch in your shirt and eventually broke off; it's a nice tool but really only suitable for use at a stationary workstation, not taking notes in the field.

Several examples of the cheaper-model BICs, all of which work very well and are surprisingly durable.

I work around graphic designers and they are using the Skilcraft ABSOLUTE 3 0.5mm. has retractable eraser, and nice grip.

Several examples of the cheaper-model BICs, all of which work very well and are surprisingly durable.

I like the cheap BICs for what they are (dependable & no great loss if they break or go missing), but the latest batch I bought are ugly, colourwise. Since these were being sold as back-to-school supplies, I guess I'm older than the target audience.

WritingInstrumentsPencilsPDP6BICMechanicalPencilXtraStrongwithColorfulBarrels.jpg WritingInstruments_Pencils_PDP_BIC-Mechanical-Pencil-Xtra-Strong-with-Colorful-Barrels-10-pack.jpg

Use whatever is cheapest - I get a bunch and just put them all around the workplace so I'm usually pretty hopeful in finding one when I need it.

Back in the 1990's … when I was using Franklin Covey Planners & Day Runners on a daily basis I use to use mechanical pencils all the time. Bic's that you would buy at discount stores (if memory serves me well). Don't recall buying any high quality ones … but I might have received a few as gifts or promotions. I do remember liking the less expensive ones because I had a tendency to loose quite a few of them.

In recent years (not a mobile life style like in days past) I've taken to using the standard no 2 pencils with professional erasers and portable battery sharpener. No longer use mechanical pencils.

Last edited:
Trying to ignore all the ones above - really have no need for 'em anymore (but have a good selection of 'vintage' Pentels).
BUT, this thing came with a tape measure set I got recently, and I LOVE IT.
https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-Fatboy-Extreme-Carpenter-Mechanical/dp/B00BMC73AK?th=1
Big, durable, eraser on board, different colored 'sticks' available (haven't tried them yet), nice fat, dark (erasable) pencil.
I use it for woodworking and kitchen notes, etc - makes for big readable notes & lists.
Huh. Nice accidental find.

Trying to ignore all the ones above - really have no need for 'em anymore (but have a good selection of 'vintage' Pentels).
BUT, this thing came with a tape measure set I got recently, and I LOVE IT.
https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-Fatboy-Extreme-Carpenter-Mechanical/dp/B00BMC73AK?th=1
Big, durable, eraser on board, different colored 'sticks' available (haven't tried them yet), nice fat, dark (erasable) pencil.
I use it for woodworking and kitchen notes, etc - makes for big readable notes & lists.
Huh. Nice accidental find.

The pencils that use the larger gauge of lead (2mm and bigger) are often called lead holders: https://www.jetpens.com/blog/the-best-lead-holders/pt/740

Back
Top Bottom