Meet my friend Rusty the Fisher KM-60 Tuner

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by Tim D, May 2, 2018.

1. Tim D

Tim D AK Subscriber Subscriber

Both fuse lamps show open. Anyone have thoughts on whether I should source new fuse lamp bulbs or go LEDs? If I go LEDs can I get enough candle power?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

I get fuse lamps from wjoe.com. They work quite well in the tuners, and receivers. You can also get LED Fuse lamps from him. About the only units I have LED's in are my Sansui 1000A and my PIONEER SX-434, 737, and 939. They look better in these. The FISHER's I like the incandescents.

Tim D likes this.
  3. Tim D

Larry,

The pic that looks like mine are rated at 13V. Does that sound right?

Festoon
    13v
    .38A
    DE3022

4. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

I get the 12v Fuse lamps and if the unit has the extra long lamps, I'll bust one up per side and solder the end caps to the lamp to get length. the DE3022 look like they might work, but check the holder length 1st. The AG3's I get usually a pack of 10 and bust 2 up for each unit for the end caps. Unfortunately the KM-60 uses a 6V bulb, so you'll either have to find a 6V festoon or do a Fuse lamp/LED. The GF650 works well but may need one or two end cap extensions. I can't remember as mine is still in storage. And the meter lamps are #470 6V screw in's. A #46 may be a sub. Also a #240 but I'd check the amperage of the 470 and compare it with the 2 and get the closest without going over the #470's amperage rating.

5. Tim D

Thanks Larry.

You are right the KM-60 lamps are 6V. Before I saw your post I did some checking on the schematic and these lamps are in parallel with the filament heaters which are 6.3V (nominal). That gives me the information I need to start shopping around.

6. Tim D

Continued to clean the dial glass, restrung the dial cord which was originally installed/routed around one of the pulleys incorrectly (probably been that way for 50 years). Cleaned the knobs up and started looking for festoon bulbs for lighting the dial. I also am looking for a knob bright which is missing for one of the knobs.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

This is an awesome thread, and can't wait to see it finished and pretty.

8. Tim D

Thanks onwardjames!

onwardjames likes this.
  9. Tim D

Alignment tools and decals for the missing stenciling have arrived.

Also picked up some felt pads to hold the dial glass with the metal tabs that it came with and some foam weather strip to block the light around the dial glass from escaping.

Sorry there haven't been a lot of pics. I'll add some soon.

10. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

The can thing killed two Fishers and a Dyna FM-3 here, I avoid vintage FM tuners as a matter of course now since I cannot align them after fooling with the IF can thing.
    Nice save nonetheless, your effotef and results are edifying.