Meet my stereo

Fast_Eddie

Upper-middle fi
Hi Everyone,

Ok, here it is! All complete!

Kenwood KR-7400
Technics SL 1200 Mk2
Large Advents

I did some more cleaning on the Kenwood tonight. When I turned it on I had to give it some volume to get sound from one channel or the other. Sometimes both. I figured out that it was a dirty relay. I was able to fabricate a little tool to get the plastic cover off of it and hit it with some contact cleaner. Working perfectly now.

I cleaned up the SL 1200 a little too. It has a crappy cartridge and sounds all sibilant and tinny. It was in storage in a cabinet. I got it for free!

I'm having fun and will get everything set up properly tonight!

Take care,

Ed
I might make one of those sig lines now, even though my gear isn't all that impressive

It looks impressive to me, but what really matters is that you like it! :yes:

Cheers

You should be happy to have that system, Its alot better than most of that BPC thats out there and I would put it up against any of them. I love the style of those Kenwoods. I have the 5400 and I love it. :thmbsp:

Thanks Guys!

I love the set up! I'm listening to Nick Lowe right now. Sounds super!

Most of the stuff is from the thrift stores. It really only took me a couple of months to put it all together. I got the turntable at work- I work at a TV station. The last one I worked at had a closet full of them. I was given permission to borrow this one for an extended period of time, :naughty:

I have less than $100 in the whole thing. Once I found the Advents, I was out to put together a complete system that sounded great on the cheap. I'm really happy with the results!

Now I can get the H.T. set up downstairs. Just not the same though.

Take care,

Ed

Last edited:
If it sounds as good as it looks... you have a system to be really proud of! :thmbsp:

Scott

Looks like a great system!

Look at how nice and tidy everything looks! Anyone want to take bets as to what it looks like a year from now? The whole back wall stacked with amps and speakers, wires everywhere....

Have you warned your wife about how this hobby turns out?

Justen said:
Looks like a great system!

Look at how nice and tidy everything looks! Anyone want to take bets as to what it looks like a year from now? The whole back wall stacked with amps and speakers, wires everywhere....

Have you warned your wife about how this hobby turns out?

My wife is being a good sport about it. She likes the Wharfedales in the living room. I cut plexiglas for the tops and we use them as end tables. The reciever and such are in a built in cabinet, so when we aren't using it we can close the door and it's gone.

She likes the way the Advents sound, so when I haul them out and hook them up in front of the Wharfedales, she's still a pretty good sport. She and the kids helped clean up the Kenwood, but she did want to know why I thought I had to bring the Fisher XP7s home from the thrift store too. And now she wants to know why I'm still poking in the thrifts. Oh, and I saw a pair of AR2s on Craigs list for $60! Do I really want to go there?

Take care,

Ed

Spawndn72 said:
Nice Rug, I have that rug. :)

edit: not to say the stereo is not nice also.

Rug! That's all real hair baby!

Oh, that rug. The nice rug is in the living room. My wife reminds me of that every time I put grimy thrift store speakers on it.

Take care,

Ed

Ed,

I noticed something strange in your photo. There are no stacks of old receivers sitting around that, you know, you're going to get around to fixing one of these days. No similar cassetted decks, cd player etc. Hmmm, seems fishy. :scratch2:

Oh, wait, I see you've only been a member since February! That explains it.

Just kidding. Congrats on a nice system!

Jim

Nice system, Fast_Eddie!

You've got a GREAT turntable there as well-no tweaks needed, just a good cart and some LPs. IMO,with the 1200 MKII you've just reached the point of diminshing returns on tts-sure there's better out there, but does the price really justify the difference?

Check your VTA adjust to see if the arm is higher than level-could be the cause of sibilance. Leveling the deck itself is also time well spent. Pull the platter(carefully!) and give a put a few drops of oil on the spindle. I also (carefully!) give the arm assembly and bearings an occasional quick shot with tetra-gun lubricant-works well and you can get a precise shot where you need it.

I went through a few "audiophile recommended" tts before I got my 1200 MKII. I've never looked back since.

Best,
mojo

Back
Top Bottom