Meet my stereo

That is exactly what a Classic Stereo system should look like. Damn sweet, set up nice and tidy and looks that add a lot to the room..without even switching it on. That's the kind of stereo people used to have, when a stereo was a Stereo. And music was good. And for a hundred bucks?? Go look at a boombox for a hundred bucks and tell me which one you like better! Enjoy it much!

mojojojo said:
Check your VTA adjust to see if the arm is higher than level-could be the cause of sibilance. Leveling the deck itself is also time well spent. mojo

That's the one problem with my 1200. The adjustment for the tone arm high seems to be stuck. I haven't tried to take it apart to fix it, but I may soon. I'm feeling a little more cocky since I tore the Kenwood apart and actually got it back together!

Has anyone else experienced this with the 1200? Is there something I don't know about?

Thanks,

Ed

DaWoofer said:
Great system! So tell me about the little tool you fabricated for the relay cover.

I went rooting around the workshop looking for something. Landed on a picture hanger. Thin metal deal with a hook on the end. I bent it up some more to assure that a picture could never again be hung on it, slipped the hooked end under the plastic and pulled it out enough to release the catch on the relay. Tipped the cover to one side and repeated on the other side.

Take care,

Ed

Ed don't worry about the AR-2a's I've saved you from them. :naughty: I will post a report on them soon.

cubdog

cubdog said:
Ed don't worry about the AR-2a's I've saved you from them. :naughty: I will post a report on them soon.

cubdog

I have a pair of Fisher XP7s I'll trade you for them! Four drivers in these things! They have to be better!

Take care,

Ed

Yeah, baby!!! Old stuff ROX!!!

Nice setup....clean, usefull....that ol' vintage sound. I HAVE to post a pic of my setup soon...just got done restoring the cabinets on my AR 2a's...seeing your Advents is an inspiration to all us 'old equip' junkies....happy listening!!!

Fast_Eddie,

You may be in luck with the 1200, could be as simple as the VTA adjustment being locked. Look for a trianglular silver tab on the ring, turn it clockwise and the ring should move freely. If that doesn't work a shot of Caig may free it up.

If you do go inside the 1200, take some care-the tone-arm wiring is very delicate and there are a lot of small screws with small heads that are easy to chew up.

My money's on the VTA lock though.

For a good cheap cart, look at Grado's lowest-priced cart, called the green or black. Runs about 60 bucks installed and sounds darned good for the money.

Best,
mojo

I guess it's pretty unanimous - the Technics 1200 is the "high point" of your system (don't all systems have a high point?). Get it going and you'll start experiencing the vintage thrill of vinyl!! My problem here in San Antonio is a major lack of record stores - as in 0! The only place I've found is "Half price books and records", though they're selection is small and ALL are used to various degrees. I guess my best place to shop for records is eBay. You can find some new and most in mint, though after shipping it still gets fairly expensive. I guess the trick is to buy several, or a "lot", from a user to save on shipping. BTW: cartridges can be had very cheap on eBay too. I've seen Audio Technicas go daily for about $10.00!

Good going on your new system. It's the start of an addiction that feels better than crack, but can be just as expensive!! :smoke:

That is a sweet rig. I think the sound of the Kenwoods is underated if the little integrated I have is anything to go by. I had one of the monster recievers in my room for a while when I was 16, but I liked everything that would go loud without distorting back in those days. My dad came back from VN with one of everything and went through a screening process and sold off the extras to pay for what he kept, so the Kenwood was "mine" for about 4 or 5 months. I really liked it but can't tell you what it was. Could be the very one you have now!

mojojojo said:
Fast_Eddie,

You may be in luck with the 1200, could be as simple as the VTA adjustment being locked. Look for a trianglular silver tab on the ring, turn it clockwise and the ring should move freely. If that doesn't work a shot of Caig may free it up.

I saw a small tab that says "lock" on it. It turns freely, though I guess I have no idea how far exactly it is suposed to turn. But it doesn't release the VAT.

Take care,

Ed

JimmyNeutron said:
I guess it's pretty unanimous - the Technics 1200 is the "high point" of your system (don't all systems have a high point?). Get it going and you'll start experiencing the vintage thrill of vinyl!! My problem here in San Antonio is a major lack of record stores - as in 0! The only place I've found is "Half price books and records", though they're selection is small and ALL are used to various degrees. I guess my best place to shop for records is eBay. You can find some new and most in mint, though after shipping it still gets fairly expensive. I guess the trick is to buy several, or a "lot", from a user to save on shipping. BTW: cartridges can be had very cheap on eBay too. I've seen Audio Technicas go daily for about $10.00!

Good going on your new system. It's the start of an addiction that feels better than crack, but can be just as expensive!! :smoke:

lol- I am definately infected, but so far have kept the cost under control.

The turntable is working, and sounds good. I just believe is should sound better. I think I should get at least a new stylus. I have another post on the TT forum looking for some info, but it sounds like the Stanton I have on it might be my best bet. Looks like a stylus for it will cost $70. That's pretty reasonable until you figure that $70 is the curent TOTAL for my main system cost. Of course, I paid $70 for the Wharfedales, and then there are those Fishers at $25. But I digress.

Take care,

Ed

Very nice and clean looking system Ed. As much as I love finding more and more gear, I often wish I had a nice uncluttered room like that! :)

I got a pair of the original Advents that need refoaming, look foward to comparing them with my AR3a's.

Austin is just a cow's spit away :scratch2:

Actually, San Antonio is an easy 1 hour south of Austin - I go to Austin all the time. I never knew about the record convention, I'll have to make plans to go. Actually I'm driving to Irvine, Tx this Saturday to pick up my knew McIntosh MC7275 amp [shameless plug] and Austin is right in the way. I'll stop by on my way back and let ya'll know if it was worth the stop. Lately I've been buying a lot of used vinyl and I'm really growing depressed because of the quality of the LP's and the badly used condition that most are in. I'm thinking of just buying new and staying away from used as much as possible - unless it's something that I can't resist (Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, Queensryche, Dream Theater, you know, the usual :D ).

Back
Top Bottom