Member's DIY audio rack pictures, post 'em!

Nice racks everyone!

There is also this one that I built for my instrumentation slash test equipment slash tools, that could just as well be for audio:

attachment.php

az

I saw the idea using the threaded rod here and what a brilliant idea it is. Here is my version that I build for my ham shack this past weekend.

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 549
This flexi had an extra shelf, sometimes two, added near 2 years ago. It's nice to have a brother who warehouses nuts and bolts. I have acorn nuts (cheap) for the bottoms. I've always wanted to double up the top shelf. Possibly add a sand box. :scratch2::scratch2:

003.jpg

001.jpg

005.jpg

[post]http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3388040&postcount=89[/post]

Edit-can someone show me how to do this please(link posts)?

The link worked for me. I just copied the URL and not the [bracketed "post"] parts.

May I say that the desk is a very nice piece of craftsmanship. The rack is elegant in it's own right.

thanks for the praise.....

But I didn't make the desk-my friend Lenny, a Vietnam vet made it.
Although I do take credit for the "rack", my comments were kinda tongue in cheek.
Recently I cut up the chassis of my tuner for a power cord socket and it too has a 9" compact cord w/collectible-audiophile hi-tech plug like the CDP on top!

Here's one I built a few years ago...I milled down the wood from my old water bed, added 1" MDF shelves, used a shelf pin jig to drill holes for 1/4" shelf pins, dyed and stained the pine after treating it with pre-stain conditioner to make it look like cherry...painted the shelves with black lacquer and then sprayed on several coats of clear, water borne polyurethane wih blue pearl powder added...

I don't use it, but it is being used at my part time job to demo equipment....

pinestand5.jpg

pinestand1.jpg

pinestand6.jpg

I'm getting lots of great ideas! Nice work you guys. Talk about "variations on a theme!" What else is out there? Let's see 'em!

Here's a little something I sketched up some time ago. The whole thing would be something like 15" deep and 60" wide. Has provision for five 17" or 19" components and can store some LP's in the legs. One could hollow-out the middle layers and fill with sand. Top shelf might use some bracing in the form of a single support rod in the center, resting on the second shelf, but that I'd have to determine once built. One could use ¾" or 1" MDF or plywood; the whole thing will be heavy!

az

Attachments

• Stereo Shelf.jpg
    Stereo Shelf.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 184
Nice design Audiozaz, might copy the idea only then with rounded corners at the top like these dj desks have;

metrofarm_dj-desk-9.jpg

metrofarm.jpg

Three-legged DIY flexi-rack variant. Its made of .70"/18mm birch ply, and has maple 1x2 edge-banding for strength. I also added copper cladding over the thread rod for the WAF. I custom made the rack to fit below the library table, which makes a nice base for a TT (now has two TT's on it). As I said, there are now two TT's on the library table, and,... one more TT next to the amplifier as well.
IMG_5811.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a little something I sketched up some time ago. The whole thing would be something like 15" deep and 60" wide. Has provision for five 17" or 19" components and can store some LP's in the legs. One could hollow-out the middle layers and fill with sand. Top shelf might use some bracing in the form of a single support rod in the center, resting on the second shelf, but that I'd have to determine once built. One could use ¾" or 1" MDF or plywood; the whole thing will be heavy!

az

That's a very clever design, but if you want to make it not so darn heavy, and use less wood, consider using thinner sheet goods with internal bracing... essentially a hollow frame with a thin "skin" and thin cross pieces internally, like a guitar or an airplane wing.

Back
Top Bottom