Member's DIY audio rack pictures, post 'em!

Finally built a Flexy of my own. It's only taken me about fifteen years to get around to it.

Finger jointed 1200x405x19mm Acacia panels, stained golden teak, with M16 zinc plated rods and hardware - except for the dome nuts, which are chrome plated.

I just love the way it looks, even though I can't get a good pic of it in place because there is gear *everywhere* in my study right now.

Finally built a Flexy of my own. It's only taken me about fifteen years to get around to it.

Finger jointed 1200x405x19mm Acacia panels, stained golden teak, with M16 zinc plated rods and hardware - except for the dome nuts, which are chrome plated.

I just love the way it looks, even though I can't get a good pic of it in place because there is gear *everywhere* in my study right now.

Wow, looks fantastic!

would you please be able to post a link to where i can buy the gardware? the rods, the nuts and caps?

Not as cool as yours but does the job.
In process of making another one with three selves and double layers of different material with car isolation material in between ...

Attachments

• IMG_0836.JPG
    IMG_0836.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0846.JPG
    IMG_0846.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 70
Not as cool as yours but does the job.
In process of making another one with three selves and double layers of different material with car isolation material in between ...
Big Marantz fan here. Nice stack. All the separates I've collected were from '76 or older. What model Esotic preamp is that? It really is too bad Marantz Japan wasn't able to save the brand with that line.

It is an SC 7 (same as the 3650). I also have pair of MA-5 mono blocks. Sold the 2130/3650/300DC stack as I had way too much gear at one point.
The Esotec series is now paired with a Kenwood KD-750.

It is an SC 7 (same as the 3650). I also have pair of MA-5 mono blocks. Sold the 2130/3650/300DC stack as I had way too much gear at one point.
The Esotec series is now paired with a Kenwood KD-750.
I've been slowly unloading some of mine. I got into tubes about 9 years ago and just don't use much of the Marantz gear anymore.
It was all fun to restore and listen to, but most of it just sits now.
I do still use an over the top restored 1060 integrated as a preamp for a 140 power amp in a second system. But others like my 33 preamp and model 16 monoblocks don't get used at all now. I gave a scoped tuner and some other Marantz gear to one of my sons. But I still have too much.

yeah I hear you. I had Kenwood Supreme, Sansui Pioneer Series 20, etc. but mostly switched to tubes. The Esotec and the Yamaha Cx/Mx/Tx/CDX and GT2000 are both staying.

Back to topic - I got the pieces to make another rack and will post once done.

well after these it is almost embarrassing to post but here it goes.
Simple rack but this time I added an isolation layer of different auto industry sound deadening materials.
Also, added cymbal felt under the top and bottom washers (got the idea here) and custom cut isolation from the isolation sheets under the washers in the middle shelf.
It was a bit fiddly to force on the cymbal felts, but after a few pulls in different direction I was able to simply "screw" it on like a nut.
Much heavier than my first one and looks nicer too (top layer cedar). I will later do something better for feet and possibly acorn nuts on top for nicer finish...

Attachments

• IMG_2759.JPG
    IMG_2759.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2760.JPG
    IMG_2760.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2761.JPG
    IMG_2761.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2762.JPG
    IMG_2762.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2764.JPG
    IMG_2764.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2765.JPG
    IMG_2765.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 34
And the finished product. Will try to veneer the edges - never done it before so I will play with smaller pieces of wood first before attempting this....

Attachments

• IMG_2770.JPG
    IMG_2770.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2771.JPG
    IMG_2771.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2772.JPG
    IMG_2772.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 27
Little Ikea 'Lack Rack' I did for my PC setup. Waiting on a small desktop preamp and monitor to complete.

IMG_20200529_195727.jpg

Recapped Yamaha M-4 btw.

Back
Top Bottom