Members Opinions On Ebay Sellers Who Won't Or Don't Combine Shipping

Stanton681EEES

Addicted Member
Here's my take on it I avoid them unless I can get a super deal. But in most cases I think it's ridiculous that they won't and to hear some of the explanations as to why they don't, is to say in a word humorous

If the items are small, I'd agree with you. However, if you bought two heavy receivers from me, they would each come seperately, double boxed. Sometimes surviving the shipping experience is more important than saving a buck or two.

Yeah, what Squidward said. I do tend to be flexible on my shipping. I don't think I have ever sold mutiple items to any one person.

Sometimes it's exploitation; I once had a shipper who refused to combine shipping on three RAM chips, then sent them all in a single package. Eighteen dollars to ship and his postage was a couple of dollars. He wasn't too happy with the feedback I gave him.

On the other hand, if you package your items for shipping before you list them, as many sellers do just to stay ahead, then combining shipping is impossible. And as Squidward says, some items just don't combine.

There is always a choice on the part of the buyer if you don't like the terms, don't buy. If you then buy and then have remorse and give the seller a negative feedback, you have wronged the seller. Many sellers make their profit on the shipping that is their business not yours.

I understand the point of a rant but what on earth will do with this collection of wisdom once you have gotten a bunch of people to comment on your rant?
I think Grateful above has got it pretty much down. If you don't like the sellers terms don't bid.

grateful said:
There is always a choice on the part of the buyer if you don't like the terms, don't buy. If you then buy and then have remorse and give the seller a negative feedback, you have wronged the seller. Many sellers make their profit on the shipping that is their business not yours.
Many sellers make their profit on the shipping that is their business not yours.
Well I think that sucks :thumbsdn:

Mark W. said:
I understand the point of a rant but what on earth will do with this collection of wisdom once you have gotten a bunch of people to comment on your rant?
I think Grateful above has got it pretty much down. If you don't like the sellers terms don't bid.
I posted because I wanted to hear other peoples opinions as to if it's good or bad and yes I know if I don't like thier terms don't buy but to me that seems so ridiculous like America love it or leave it. Isn't that what's wrong with ebay these days as well as deadbeats who rip people off using others accounts etc......., in my opinion if a seller charges me postage on two small items, and he or she won't combined shipping than I'm being ripped off and that was the point of my Rant as you called it. I wasn't trying to ruffle anyones feathers.
Yikes..........

I agree that sellers will exploit the shipping side of an Ebay sale but there is a part of the no combining that I can understand. A lot of sellers take photos of their products and pack it immedeately, and label it through the shipper's software before the item is even listed. This way once the item is sold it can be shipped quickly. It makes sense and I will probably do this when I decide to start selling off items on Ebay. I've been pissed off by sellers not combining but it is understandable.

I dont think the seller cares if you think it sucks. As I said just don't buy from that seller. You have control just say no.

Keep in mind there is more cost in "shipping" than just the postage. Many Ebay sellers operate as a business. They need to cover the cost of the Ebay fees, PayPal fees, packaging materials. The time involved needs to be considered too. To properly pack some things takes time and as you know time is money. The nature of auctions is such that you cannot guarantee enough profit in the sale to cover all these expenses. This is particularly true of commodity items like computer parts.

These types of businesses will try to cover these expenses with shipping and handling fees to keep it separate from the auction. Many of the consignment sellers will charge a handling fee even for local pick up.

Do some overcharge for these fees? Sure. Would I pay for packing material to help ensure safe shipping? You bet. What it comes down to is you need to read and understand the conditions of sale. If you are OK with them, bid. If not, don't bid. If sellers that overcharge for shipping and handling don't get bids, they will either go out of business or change their policies.

- Pete

Stanton681EEES said:
Here's my take on it I avoid them unless I can get a super deal. But in most cases I think it's ridiculous that they won't and to hear some of the explanations as to why they don't, is to say in a word humorous
As long as they are up front about it I have no problem. It is their auction and your choice to bid or not.

Carl

It's common practice. The shipping boxes, packing materials, E-Bay fees, etc. don't come free. Online stores charge higher fees for shipping than what UPS and USPO charges them to cover their overhead costs.

I had multiple items go to the same guy once, and luckily I hadn't packed them yet. If I had, I would have been decent enough in my auctions to reveal that the items had already been packaged, and should multiple (large) items be won by the same bidder, they should be aware that there was no combined shipping.

PLUS as a packer, combining a large heavy object with a small fragile object is a recipe for destruction.

Combining small things saves on boxes and packing, and I DO avoid sellers that tries to make a HUGE profit off of shipping. It's THE most effective form of feedback..... DON"T REWARD THEM for their GREED. Send them a message so that they know of the missed sale... especially if you got it from someone else!!
When they get enough messages of missed sales, and the ebay fees vs. lost sales lack of income pile up, the less dense might change their mind.

Everything I sell is already priced at actual shipping cost to the buyer's address. . . . There is nothing to cut. . .

I don't care what a seller charges for shipping as long as my FINAL price is good.
A perferct example: I just turned a friend of mine on to a deal at Ubid.com for Mirage Omnisat micro speakers at about $35.00 each new in the box. They wanted $21.00 each to ship a speaker that weighs just a few pounds. He bought 3 of them and they would not combine shipping. They put each boxed speaker in a single box and shipped them to him. That's over $60 to ship less than 20 lbs worth of speakers in a single box, BUT.... He ended up getting 3 for the price of one, shipping included.
Now if they were selling them for $120 each (Going Ebay price) and charged that for shipping, I would have told them to go to hell.

Probably like many of us, I've sold all sorts of stuff, small and big. For small stuff, yeah, I will combine costs but I will always keep a few bucks built in to cover my cost. Big stuff must be individually packaged so there is no way discount can be given. So there you have it. Come and pick it up, if you must!!

BTW, if you have ever been nickled and dimed for shipping cost, I think you will agree with me, these guys are not worth doing business with.

Back
Top Bottom