Memory? What?

Slim Chansez

I don't know why I "rescue" tuners and receivers on Craigslist. I don't really need them. I recently bought a Kenwood KR-A4030 (cheap) and everything works fine except the memory for the tuner pre-sets. I set them up and the next time I power up, the memory's gone and I have to start all over again. My guess is that I have a bad IC. Anybody out there have any input? Am I missing something obvious?

Memory is usually by static ram (rare) battery backup or super capacitor. I didn't see a super cap in a quick look at the service manual (you can get that from Elektrotanya) so maybe it just relies on being plugged in? Seems unlikely. Does the stand-by light stay on? Do you have the owners manual? Hifiengine has that.

Last edited:
My guess is static ram because I opened it up - looking for a battery - and didn't find one, or a super cap...unless a mysterious, large, white, rectangular component is a super cap. I can usually identify caps, resistors, coils, diodes, etc, but the "white box" had me stumped. Even the identifying marking on the PC board was cryptic. The memory's definitely not being charged by AC when the unit's on standby, because there is no standby mode. It's either on or it's off. Just by eyeballing the PC board and, roughly, identifying circuit pathways, I'm pretty sure the memory is stored in an integrated circuit chip on the board. But, in a $20 amp, it's no big deal. It's not worth bothering with it; I just wondered if anybody knew about something obvious that I'm missing. Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom