Meridian 506.24 woes.

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by bryndildaddy, Oct 7, 2017.

1. bryndildaddy

bryndildaddy Active Member

meridianb.jpg

Attached Files:

2. bryndildaddy

bryndildaddy Active Member

Hey All!

My beloved Meridian 506.24 CD player has fallen victim to a butter fingered friend. When the drawer of this unit opens, and the CD is place in it, there is a black plastic cap in the center that stabilizes the disk (much like the centerpiece in a jewel box). During a listening session said friend removed the last CD at an angle, ripping the plastic stabilizing cap off the center hub in the drawer. It does not snap back in place, and the disc will not read without the cap in place.

My usual service shop in Portland, OR no longer works on Meridian CD players, my backup has issues getting parts for them, and my favored shop in Seattle deems Meridians complexity out of their wheelhouse. This was supposed to be the last CD player I own, and I love the sound of it, so I have considerable emotional and financial investment in it.

1. Does anyone know of a shop that specializes in Meridian gear on the west coast?

2. Anyone have experience getting parts from Meridian directly?

3. Familiar enough with the design of this players drawer assembly to know whether this damage will require a parts overhaul.

4. Advice for salvaging friendship with the damaging party?

Yet again, I through myself at the mercy of the AK masses. Any input is greatly appreciated.

3. Ramseybella

Ramseybella AK Member

A photo of the underside of that cap would be good and a little closer of the tray?
    Desperation fix? Tooth pick and a light application of Super Glue.. Squirt some SG on a piece of cardboard dab the tip of the toothpick and apply a tiny bit to the surface of each separated piece..
    Let is sit over night and see what happens.. I have pulled off some good repairs with Super Glue, but you have to take it easy on the amount and don't let it run.
    My 596 DVD player has the full blown encased CD component like in a Computer tower, yours is the typical CD transport style I am guessing, but the part is ether non existent or big dollars?

4. lightcapture

lightcapture Active Member

Hard to tell but if cap snapped of at a center post a dab of good plastic epoxy from Home Depot may do the trick. Can you analyze it to determine what snapped?