Merry Christmas Everyone. I'm just a bit of a newbie.

Manicknux

Hello everyone,

I just figured I'd introduce myself here and then get on to some questions I'll have in another area. I hope I'm not too inexperienced. :)

My name is Justin and I live in a (nearly) hi-fi-less suburb of Pittsburgh, PA. Though I am only 21, I'm a singer and have been thoroughly interested in music and audio for quite a while now and believe I have at least somewhat of an understanding of quality in certain areas. However, this isn't to say that I'm not a newbie. I am, by all accounts, green. I had grown up to purchase my first audio system (bookshelf Koss stereo, it's sitting next to me, broken) and continued using it until it gave out. I had never been happy with the sound from the system and regretted the purchase until its demise. This relatively small purchase taught me to do research before any audio purchase.

My next purchases were specifically for my computer as it was my primary listening device (and still is). After a brief stint with a digital Philips computer system, I did quite a bit of research and sprung for a Klipsch Promedia 5.1 system. This eventually broke but was replaced under a guarantee for the Ultra 5.1s. I've been absolutely happy with the sound from this monstrous (computer) system and haven't really had a reason to buy anything else until recently.

Other than the computer system I've been using, my parents had given me an old Sherwood S-7150 stereo receiver that had been used in a rather makeshift "whole-house" in-ceiling radio (by whole house, I mean four speakers, two upstairs and two down). I had used this system sparingly for my tv and other entertainment but have recently only used it for some light music, left on for hours on a jazz or classical station. It's been a pleasant little receiver, but I don't know how good it would be in the application I'd be needing it for. The receiver is hooked to two Sony SD-M555 bookshelf speakers and they are fairly bass heavy.

As far as any other equipment, a couple of years ago I had gotten into headphones as they seemed to fit my needs for quality for a low cost. I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD-280 pros and a pair of Ety ER-4 monitors (I'm unsure if they are the 'p' or 's' variety, but I'm betting on the 'p'. I had purchased them from Unclaimed Baggage online and somehow got them for $75 so there was NO way I was passing up that deal). Again, with these purchases, I was thoroughly happy with my purchases. If I had to purchase another set in the coming years, I'll be focusing more on a set of open cans, so that I can understand the "open-air" experience.

I figured that I'd just post what my experience is here so that all of you intelligent and knowledgeable folk can understand my level of "greeness". I'll eventually be asking some questions and I'm sure most of you could help immensely. I'm looking forward to becoming a participating member of this wonderful forum and hope I'm not too inexperienced for everyone here. Maybe some of my equipment will invoke some cheers or jeers. :D

Back
Top Bottom