Merry Christmas To Me!

MoreBeer

Money + Money =More Money
Just picked up what looks like a great deal at Costco. A new Yamaha TSR-7810 receiver at only $399! This is pretty much similar to Yamaha receivers that cost about twice that price. Could be a Costco only item although I have seen it on Amazon at $550 or so. Might be someone buying them at Costco and reselling. Who knows? Regular price at Costco is $489 so got $90 off...I'll take it.

I've got an older AV receiver now hooked up to a new $2,000 speaker system, so needed to do something about that without breaking the bank. This should be just the ticket. No time to unbox, go through all the documentation and setup but once I do, will post my opinion.

Ho-Ho-Ho!

receiver-new-box.jpg

Not doing anything with this yet, just reading the excessive documentation. They do a great job of over complicating everything in regards to setup as the manual is 149 pages! Most of the crap in there I'll never use, need or want.

Looks like the Costco version of the RX-V781 which has a MSRP of $849. Nice find, great deal. Very complete, Atmos, 4K, Bluetooth, MusicCast, built in WiFi, plays FLAC, even has a phono input!

Hopefully there is a quick start guide, let us know how you like it.

Here's an update...... The subwoofer outputs are bad, as in no output. Tried everything. Sub works if hooking up to the preamp outs however. So, its going back to Costco tomorrow for another one. Hopefully that works. Figures...................

Nothing set in the configuration that would affect this? Sometimes setting front speakers to large disables the subwoofer. Just a thought.

Nothing set in the configuration that would affect this? Sometimes setting front speakers to large disables the subwoofer. Just a thought.

Well, I was up till 3:00 am jerking around with this thing. Setting the size of the front speakers to small, changing the crossover points, changing back and forth to large and small, restarting from scratch, nothing. I then tried the setup using the microphone, and still nothing.

I was about to give up but then decided to try again. This time however, not using manual setup as suggested in the manual for a 2.1 speaker configuration, but using automatic setup from the very beginning with the microphone.

When the test tones were now generated by auto setup, the subwoofer did respond. Now it all works. So there must be some kind of software issue going on here with manual setup, at least if using just front speakers and a sub. Who knows? At this point I was able to use the built-in EQ to make additional adjustments. (Give me manual bass, mid and treble knobs the next time please!)

IMO, there's far too much software and not enough hardware such as mechanical switches, buttons, selector knobs, etc. on new AV type receivers. I can see these devices being prone to fail at some point as there's far too much going on. But then again, I'm an old school guy and gravitate towards vintage gear or newer traditional gear without all that binary code being sent to on-board processors.

Plus, I don't believe AVR's sound as good with a traditional 2.1 speaker setup as does a good, beefy stereo receiver or integrated amp connected to the same speaker system.

Just now I configured the system differently and connected the sub to the preamp outs. The main speakers are setup as large speakers without a sub obviously. It sounds much better this way, at least to me it does. I prefer making my own adjustments to the sub and not permitting the receiver to control what it gets. Plus, the main fronts have a bigger and better sound this way.

I would imagine these new AV receivers do a nice job with movies using the full 9 speaker configuration and a sub however. But all that isn't for me. Oh well..................

Idiot Update! I went back to use the TV sound system later today and guess what? The sub didn't work! So now I'm convinced the receiver is bad......right? But I had a thought....."How about trying a different cable". That was it all along! The friggin brand new cable was bad. LMAO! It was just a coincidence the sub started working when trying the setup one last time using the automated settings.

I find this unbelievable as in all my years of jerking around with sound systems and endless computer systems at my business, I don't believe I've never ran into a bad cable. And this was a pretty decent brand new, never used, just bought cable. First time for everything I guess.

Time for a beer.

Congrats on the find! Sometimes the answer to a mystery is so plainly obvious, we just can't see it. Instead, we manufacture ever more complex, less likely "causes" to explain the phenomenon. Occam's having a good laugh somewhere.

Enjoy that beer; you earned it!

The Yamaha's that I've owned work much better when connecting everything 1st, then running the auto setup. That way, the receiver will identify the system, and tweak all the levels, distances, and EQ's. Then, I can adjust as needed. Much simpler to me, that way.

As to sub cables, I always used a Radio Shack 75 ohm digital RCA cable. They seemed to sound better for long runs. But, Radio Shack's are hard to find now, and I don't believe they still make that particular cable any longer.

Oh yea, glad you get everything figured out. I hope you enjoy the receiver. I like my Yamaha RX-A3030. A great purchase.

But how does it sound now?.........:beatnik:;)

I think it actually sounds better. Although the bad cable worked, albeit on an intermittent basis, possibly it affected the signal somehow. For a few years I've been buying the Amazon Basics cables for just about everything (RCA, HDMI, etc.) and they've been great. Good price, well made and never a problem. This time I bought a Monster brand cable from a local store for the new sub as I forgot to order one and wanted to hook everything up that night. Figures the much more expensive cable was bad.

I now have it hooked up with an 8' cable from a really old set of video component cables. It's a little short but will do until the new one arrives.

I've always used generic cable TV RG coax with RCA adapters screwed onto the F-type terminations. Supports use of standard cable TV wall plates (or keystones) fed from a remote AVR as well.

IMO, there's far too much software and not enough hardware such as mechanical switches, buttons, selector knobs, etc. on new AV type receivers. I can see these devices being prone to fail at some point as there's far too much going on. But then again, I'm an old school guy and gravitate towards vintage gear or newer traditional gear without all that binary code being sent to on-board processors.

Oh man, don't get me started. Ask my wife - I've been bitching about this for more than 10 years. It spilled over into ham radio and now you have to go 3 levels deep in a menu just to change filter bandwidth. What you won't see is anybody refurbing these modern receivers 40 years from now. Nobody will be able to get any of the custom ICs used or work on high density surface mount boards. Ok, enough.

Glad you have it working without returning it since a "new" one would have had the same problem. Enjoy the tunes and how is the tuner section of the receiver?

What you won't see is anybody refurbing these modern receivers 40 years from now. Nobody will be able to get any of the custom ICs used or work on high density surface mount boards. Ok, enough.

Glad you have it working without returning it since a "new" one would have had the same problem. Enjoy the tunes and how is the tuner section of the receiver?

You said a mouthful there in regards to longevity and refurbing these modern receivers. Regardless of price, these are made to dispose of and not repair or rebuild at some point. I would never piss away big money on one of these as a $500 model is likely to provide similar or equal performance to a $1500++ priced receiver.

And none of these can hold a candle to a great receiver from years ago....later 70's to very early 80's receivers, at least for music only.

I've listened to several $2,000+ AV receivers with speakers similar to mine that are connected to my AVR, and all I can say is ....Meh. The Yamaha I just paid $400 for sounds the same, just as good, whatever. Build quality is similar as well. There is no compelling reason to pay up for these pricey models. Sorry if you disagree.

Anyhow, on the tuner. I haven't used it much yet but it works. LOL! Sounds okay. About the only thing I did was program in WFAN as that's about the only radio station I'll tune into. Have yet to try the internet radio, pandora, sirius, etc., nor have tried to play anything on a network hard drive. Although connecting to the home wireless network was easy and the unit gets excellent signal strength being in the basement with the router on second floor of house in the far corner.

It already needed a 20 minute long firmware upgrade. My god....what has the world come to????

I did try bluetooth and played a few tunes off my phone just to test and that worked well. Overall, it's nice for what I paid and does just about everything a much more costly AVR would although I'll never use many of the modern features.

Honestly, I'd probably be better off with a nice integrated amp that has an RCA sub out for powered subwoofers or just preamp outs I can connect subs to. I might go that route someday and move this AV receiver to the family room TV.

Plus many of these have tape loops so if I'd like to connect a tape deck (unlikely on this system) or an EQ (highly likely) I can. (I enjoy EQ's. Sorry once again for my ignorance) Oh, and these amps have tone control knobs and some even have a variable loudness adjustment as well. Who woulda' thunk it?

Last edited:
Idiot Update! I went back to use the TV sound system later today and guess what? The sub didn't work! So now I'm convinced the receiver is bad......right? But I had a thought....."How about trying a different cable". That was it all along! The friggin brand new cable was bad. LMAO! It was just a coincidence the sub started working when trying the setup one last time using the automated settings.

I find this unbelievable as in all my years of jerking around with sound systems and endless computer systems at my business, I don't believe I've never ran into a bad cable. And this was a pretty decent brand new, never used, just bought cable. First time for everything I guess.

Time for a beer.

The "black box" syndrome. I run into it regularly work. Guys always replace the black boxes first then, on the next trip out because it doesn't work again a day or two later, find out it was just a loose pin in the connector making intermittent contact or something like that.

Last edited:
Oh man, don't get me started. Ask my wife - I've been bitching about this for more than 10 years. It spilled over into ham radio and now you have to go 3 levels deep in a menu just to change filter bandwidth. What you won't see is anybody refurbing these modern receivers 40 years from now. Nobody will be able to get any of the custom ICs used or work on high density surface mount boards. Ok, enough.

Nobody interested in HT will want the thing in 40 years because it will be so far behind the latest technology.

Plus many of these have tape loops so if I'd like to connect a tape deck (unlikely on this system) or an EQ (highly likely) I can. (I enjoy EQ's. Sorry once again for my ignorance) Oh, and these amps have tone control knobs and some even have a variable loudness adjustment as well. Who woulda' thunk it?

Actually, unless something has recently changed, the typical AVRs do not have actual tape monitor loop.

Last edited:
Actually, unless something has recently changed, the typical AVRs do not have actual tape monitor loop.

I didn't say that any AVR had tape loops. I was referring to some new integrated stereo amps. Many do have tape lops and loudness functions. Such as this nice Yamaha 801 I've been looking into. Tape loops, variable loudness, optical input, sub out, pretty much all you need for nice stereo with a TV without all the clutter.

yamaha801.jpg

I see that now. I was distracted by all the pissing and moaning about AVRs so my mind wasn't on point. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom