Merrylander

What else can I say that hasn't already been said about Rob, a gentleman in every sense of the word?
The CR-600 arrived today in packing that would withstand an earthquake...........and the neatness and organization of the bagged foam peanuts was a thing of beauty. The receiver itself looks, and sounds, brand new....the vinyl veneer job is beautiful! The only problem with getting this receiver is that I fear I'm going to be a steady customer. Thanks again, Rob. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. :D

...and thank you to Rob as well for:

Bringing a VERY tempermental Yamaha C-2 back to life (those darned rear connectors!) as well as doing his BEST on an ailing Yamaha T-7 tuner (this tuner is a real good looker but it was stuck annoyingly in the Mute mode for some inexplicable reason!). Rob stuck with this one and proposed a work-around that allows the T-7 to function just fine without the Mute mode (all other operations remain).

Apparently the word from Yamaha is that the T-7 wasn't one of their better "efforts", but Rob did a fine job making lemonade from somewhat of a lemon!

Merci beaucoup monsieur Rob!

Now, if I can just get FedEx Ground to pick-up the next box, more is on the way!

Looking forward to other treats too!

That poor T-7 was halfway between analog and digital and apparently the memory pre-set switches were a source of problems. Pretty though.

Rob

I got a 2040 from Rob a couple months ago that he had put new veneer on and tuned up. It is nice to get a beautiful piece of equipment that is old but looks new. It sounds great with my HPM-100's but will have to be moved to my bedroom when Rob gets done with my A-90 and F-90 tuner. It is dangerous living so close to him though since I keep thinking of things to get and have him fix up. Thanks for the great work and it is always enjoyable to see all the various pieces of equipment in the shop.

I bought a Marantz A/V receiver from Rob a little while ago. Better than I expected. Everything was well packed and shipping was prompt.

:thmbsp:

Happy as a....

...you fill in the blank!

In an ongoing effort to expand a collection of TOTL* vintage Yamahas, Rob has once again contributed to my delinqency and reduction of bank account. A fine specimen of an albeit quirky (Yamaha's design that is) CR-1000 arrived here two days ago. We had a small bump courtesy of UPS, but worked through that successfully thanks to a VERY pragmatic recommendation from Rob.

Very nice on the out and can't wait to pop-the-top for the in. It's an interesting machine that Yamaha designed in the mid-1970s and it sounds great...and that wonderful Tuning knob! Such a smooth sounding receiver that just purrs along (strong FM section too!)

I'm also looking forward to what's also on Rob's bench being fixed and more of whatever he finds**.

Thanks again Rob!

*-also enjoying Yamaha's BOTL (CR-220) in my shop! :D
**-still hunting for a CA-1000!

Last edited:
This was my second transaction with Rob...........a pair of Boston Acoustics A60s that he had refoamed. The re-foaming is excellent, as was the packing and the overall smoothness of the transaction. I really can't say enough about Rob, except that he once again exemplifies the word "gentleman."
Do me a favor though, Rob, please don't put anything else up for sale......the prices, products, and the whole deal in general is just too good to pass up, and my wallet can't take too many more hits. :(

Gee, I'm sorry, I'll see can I cancel the JBLs, the NS-20Ts and the Cr-1000.

Always gives me the warm fuzzies when people like what I offer.

Rob

...and thanks also to Rob for his purchasing assistance with some replacement output transistors for a Yamaha CR-420 that I recently revived (with moral and technical support from Warren [Dr. Audio] and Rob). I was only too glad to help with his minimum electronics order. I thought about sending it to Rob for a fix, but I figured that I would give it a try...this time.

Oh Rob, I'll be back for more soon!

Another super smooth transaction with Rob.........my first Marantz, a spotless 2216B. And, once again, the shipping was super fast and the packing was enough to withstand an atomic bomb. Thank you!

I noticed the doll house in Rob's avatar. Me and my college-age children were planning on getting/building my wife one of that type for a surprise Christmas present. She has always wanted a big Victorian dollhouse to put all her dollhouse toys in from her youth, which have been in boxes for almost 30 years.

But we had only a faint idea where to start on this project. So, out of the blue I emailed Rob asking for advice. And in his typically generous way, as we've all come to know on AK, he spent his time offering advice and voluteering to help if we hit any snags.

He serves as a model to me of what kind of contributor I'd like to be on AK.

Kenwood KA-7100

Just received the KA-7100 amp from Rob that he had up for sale. It will make for an excellent addition to my integrated amp collection. The Cherry cabinet really makes the silver face of the amp standout! Rob did an awesome job packing it up and it arrived in A-1 condition. Thanks for an outstanding transaction. I appreciate your effort Rob.

Scott

Y'all are most welcome. The dollhouse aid offer was a vicarious way of getting my hands into the miniature world again. We have two more big ones waiting to be assembled, but the basement has to be finished first. Got an estimate from Owens Corning's new system -$40,000 - I damn near died. We won't be going that route any time soon. I may do the Dow Corning system - glue styrofoam direct to the concrete and glue the sheetrock to the styrofoam. Did that once before and it works like a charm, especially if you use the shallower receptacle boxes for the outlets. Just don't use a solvent based glue.

Rob

Miniaturists work as little as possible

Last edited:
I just had to jump in so the forum listing wouldn't look like Rob was giving himself a thumbs up. ;)

Someone said "Gentleman" in referring to Rob. I think that says it all. In a world with too few real gentlemen, Merrylander stands out as a prime example of the breed.

I am one of the fortunate ones who happen to live near Rob. I brought him my SX-780 to repair as well as my late grandfather’s 1953 Silvertone tabletop radio. I suppose it’s a cliché by now, but Rob has them both singing and they have reclaimed their positions of prominence in Casa Lord. The cost was so low that I feel guilty about only having to fork out a pittance.

Furthermore, Rob is a great guy. Each time I visited, I nearly forgot why I was there. It’s a lot of fun to view all his projects and you learn a lot listening to his comments on each of them. And I must say, he has the cleanest workshop I have ever seen. My wife was also charmed by his wife and was duly impressed with the dollhouse.

Thanks for all your help and wisdom Rob! See you again real soon.

Back
Top Bottom