Merrylander

Merrylander made my day!

Yamaha newbie still, only 2 weeks ago got my first...

(long story follows...)

Drove 60 mi to catch an alledged $50 CR-800 to use as a tuner while I try to fix the recent T-7 keeper.

Had read Rob's descriptions about the CR-800's high sensitivity; I do FM a lot...and one of my stations is far, far, away :lazer:. (KLOO).

Hmmm. The owner can't see itsy bitsy numbers too well...it was a CR-600, not 800.

So I figure oh well, drove this far, probably not nearly as good as the CR-800.

No lights lit except the red LEDs. Lots of cigarette stains on the knobs. No antenna to test FM. Oops, forgot to bring. :grumpy:

But...no knobs missing...and the wood case is 99%. finally, both meters move...so...offered half...Yes it followed me home. Sound familiar? :rolleyes:

--Epilog--

After reading the following, I'm thinking I actually did better for a tuner than if he'd had a real CR-800... :scratch2:

...The CR-800 has an IHF rating of 150 WPC if you want to compare them to new stuff. It and its sister, the CR-600 share a common tuner section that is very sensitive.

Same tuner? :confused: Turned my :dunno: shrug into a :D yee-HA!

...and even the faceplate/knobs cleaned up all shiny. Not even one teeny scratch. :thmbsp:

Thanks Rob!

Susurus

P.S. will search AK for lights replacement tips... Oh, and KLOO comes in fine...!

Thank you all gentlemen, and Walker you may have discovered that my avocation was to teach - they just would not let me do it sans degree. At least not in the educational system, in industry I was a Senior Instructor here and there.

The CR-x00 are the most elegant, best proportioned. Lever switches and glass tuner face.

I think what's most critical for that one elusive station is alternate channel selectivity. It's 100 miles away and buried in between two local high-powered stations.

My Guess is that the Japanese designed for thier own local topology--mountainous, coastal strips, lower-power stations--not flat expanses with 100+MWatt jammers like southern Cal or Houston.

There's a fair amount of noise floor on the CR-600; could need a recap or maybe just clean the pots (just got it yesterday, haven't even De-Oxit-ed yet)?

Rundown on getting KLOO.

Concept 16.5 doesn't do well here. No wide/narrow switch. Its tuner is audiophile; wide, would rather sound terrific on local stations than pull in faraways. It's my best sounding for the local Jazz and Classical stations. Maybe I need to adjust it better (it's my only 5-gang)?

The digital Yamaha SX-750 gets it, but only with playing with the antenna a lot, and it drops out.

Pioneer SX-1050 (4 gang) does better. A little jumpy tuning in stations, but does get KLOO (when the ionosphere cooperates).

Luxman R-1050 (4 gang) gets KLOO best, but it's on the other side of the house (clearer) so that's not really a fair test.

T-7 Tuner still not fixed.

Once I can fix the T-7 it just might blow away my others. I replaced the battery, but it still only lights up the tuner-bar red light for a few seconds after it's been sitting for hours, and then just won't respond, no tuner lights or bar lights.

If I rapidly turn the unit on and off, the auto centering motor jumps and the RX light goes on then fades. All the lights on the left side will come on.

Susurus

Moderator Note:

This is The Feedback Forum. If you want to contrast, compare, and review equipment, please do so in the appropriate forum.

I purchased one Yamaha R-100 with a relatively rare wood case and one restored Sansui 8080DB also with a newly veneered wood case (not the usual crumbly vinyl laminate) from Rob. The Sansui was damaged by the heavy hand of FedEx, bent frame, loosened solder joints. Rob said ship it back and he would set it right. He did just that at his own expense. Those pieces are predominately displayed and working receivers in my house. Rob's workmanship is superb as those receivers look right out of the box. A pleasure doing business with you sir.

Archie

Another great experience with Rob

Just picked up a pair of re-capped, re-veneered and re-grilleclothed larger Advents from Rob. As always, the job was done beautifully and the speakers sound wonderful. They now reside in my 16 year-old daughter's room; her comment was something along the lines of "I must be spending too much time with you because I can hear a real difference between these and my old speakers."

There is hope.

Thanks, Rob!

I sure wish Rob lived a little closer ( at least in the same Hemisphere!) so it was more practical to get some of my gear restored with such renowned skill and care.

In Japan, they have a concept of "living national treasures", people --often craftsmen-- whose skill and expertise in some field is truly exceptional and irreplaceable. From all the feedback his satisfied customers post around here, I think Rob must be one of the "living treasures" in the field of audio-gear restoration. (To be fair, there are a few others around, too!)

Pbda, congratulations on your new gear acquisitions. I'm sure you and your daughter are enjoying 'em! :thmbsp:

As always it was our pleasure to see Peter again, though an all too brief visit.

Lee thank you for the compliment, but I doubt that they will be declaring me a national treasure any time soon, especially in the political newsgroup I post in.:D It is not for nothing that Socrates is my favorite Greek philosopher.

I'm bumping this up once again for a purchase I made with Rob last week. I bought a Pioneer CDP from Rob, and once again, Rob comes through like the Champ he is!

Many thanks Rob!

Retro

Merrylander is excellent to deal with!

Thanks for buying some records for me!!

And for making it such a fast easy & fun transaction!

Stephanie

Whenever someone asks me if I know where they can get a receiver, the first call I make is to Rob, to see what is coming off the bench, any time soon.

This time, it was a 2-for-1 call.

Rob had two pieces ready, a CR-820 for my college-bound niece, and an 840 for my friend, while his Sansui 7070 is out for repairs.

My niece is beyond excited, as she is beginning to collect LPs, because, "They sound so much better, Uncle Ernie". Clever girl.

My friend is now deciding whether he will get the 7070 repaired, as the Yamaha sounds, in his words, "so much better". I remind him that the Sansui is limping along, so the comparison is unfair.

Both these units were packed in Rob's usual fashion, and arrived in perfect condition, sparkling clean, with new vinyl wraps on both, or, at least, they looked like new.

Thanks, Rob, for he excellent service, and the fine gear, for a veteran listener, and a new young audiophile.

As always, my confidence in you is confirmed, in spades.

Time to resurrect this thread.
I needed a part for my CR-2020, I PM'ed Rob asking if he had one laying about his parts boxes and sure enough he did and he sent it to me at a drop-dead deal.
Thank you Rob so much for saving my Yamaha from my (soon to be) angry blows!
Yay!
JimB

I have pestered Rob with questions on my yamaha receivers for a few months now and he patiently steers me in the right direction every time.

Merrylander made my day!

Yamaha newbie still, only 2 weeks ago got my first...

(long story follows...)

Drove 60 mi to catch an alledged $50 CR-800 to use as a tuner while I try to fix the recent T-7 keeper.

Had read Rob's descriptions about the CR-800's high sensitivity; I do FM a lot...and one of my stations is far, far, away :lazer:. (KLOO).

Hmmm. The owner can't see itsy bitsy numbers too well...it was a CR-600, not 800.

So I figure oh well, drove this far, probably not nearly as good as the CR-800.

No lights lit except the red LEDs. Lots of cigarette stains on the knobs. No antenna to test FM. Oops, forgot to bring. :grumpy:

But...no knobs missing...and the wood case is 99%. finally, both meters move...so...offered half...Yes it followed me home. Sound familiar? :rolleyes:

--Epilog--

After reading the following, I'm thinking I actually did better for a tuner than if he'd had a real CR-800... :scratch2:

Same tuner? :confused: Turned my :dunno: shrug into a :D yee-HA!

...and even the faceplate/knobs cleaned up all shiny. Not even one teeny scratch. :thmbsp:

Thanks Rob!

Susurus

P.S. will search AK for lights replacement tips... Oh, and KLOO comes in fine...!
Yes the Yamaha CR-800 picks up 51 stations in stereo! That is a record and as good as a Pioneer TX9100 top of the line separate tuner. The TX9100 was after a large snowfall so likely will NOT be at 51 stations except under unusual circumstances like the snow acting as a ground plane.

Back
Top Bottom