messing with the Muse "Mini PCM1793" DAC

duncan

flâneur in training
This old friend has been relegated to a drawer since the acquisition of a Bryston DAC for my main (okay, only) system, and I decided to tweak on it a bit.

muse-in-case-s.jpg

I included a couple of LME49720 op-amps in my last Mouser order with this DAC in mind.

Today's lesson: how hard it is to work on these little boards. Everything is in there pretty tight, the component holes are barely big enough to get the leads through, and the lead-free solder just doesn't want to let go. I used a combination of a plunger-type sucker and Chemwick to get it as clean as I could, but nothing would come loose; next I added some leaded solder to mix with what was there, desoldered that, and got a couple of pins free. By then I started to worry about damaging the board. Finally I removed the original output op-amp (which was an OP275, though the board was labeled OPA2134) by force, breaking the body away from its pins so they could be removed one at a time, which was much easier; then reamed out all the holes a little with a dental pick and installed a DIP-8 socket. Checking continuity from each pin to its neighboring components, I found one pad disconnected, and added a little jumper on the bottom of the board to fix it. So far so good, kinda.

The original circuit includes rectangular 0.1uf caps from pins 8 and 4 (the power supply rails) to ground. I removed these also - they were not quite as difficult, but still took some patience. I wanted those out so I could replace them with pairs of 2.2uf electrolitics with 0.1uf ceramics in parallel, which is pretty close to TI's recommendation on the data sheet:

The LME49720 requires adequate power supply decoupling to ensure a low total harmonic distortion (THD). Place a low equivalent-series-resistance (ESR) ceramic capacitor, typically 0.1 μF, within 2 mm of the V+ and V- pins. This choice of capacitor and placement helps with higher frequency transients, spikes, or digital hash on the line. In addition to the 0.1 μF ceramic capacitor, it is recommended to place a 2.2 μF to 10 μF capacitor on the V+ and V- pins. This larger capacitor acts as a charge reservoir, providing energy faster than the board supply, thus helping to prevent any droop in the supply voltage.

The wording there is a little ambiguous, and they probably mean to put the larger cap between pins 4 and 8, but I thought it had to be at least as good to give each its own 2.2uf reservoir parallel to the existing cap. In this board though it's hard to add anything at all because space is so tight. Pin 8's cap pair wasn't much of a problem, but pin 4's had an obstacle, a larger cap nearby, and I had to leave longer leads than I would have liked so that it was possible to bend the caps around to the side and still fit in the little cigarette-pack sized case.

In the end, not the prettiest workmanship ever ...

muse-mod-s.jpg

Got it all back together and plugged it in; no smoke. I've run a couple of classical and jazz redbook CDs through it and am pleased so far with the sound. Now it's playing the Rachmaninov 3rd symphony (Vladimir Ashkenazy cond. Concertgebouw Orchestra, London 455-798-2, fantastic recording). I don't have a way to A/B against the unmodified box, but subjectively it's an improvement in warmth and in the sweetness of the strings. Dynamics seem more subtle. The full orchestra entrance after the quiet introduction to the first movement gives a nice frisson I wasn't getting before the change.

It would be a lot to ask of it to compete with the Bryston BDA-1, and it doesn't, particularly in imaging/soundstaging, but despite my clumsiness it's a satisfying update for very little money.

Does anyone have thoughts on the placement of the added electrolytic(s)?

Last edited:
they probably mean to put the larger cap between pins 4 and 8,

No, they don't. They mean put a cap on each of pins 4 and 8 to ground. You are decoupling the power supplies. This applies to all the decoupling caps; ceramic and electrolytic.

Just looked at your pictures. You are not following their suggestion for the ceramic cap. Those long electrolytic leads are inductors. Not what you want. I would mount the ceramics on the trace side of the PCB, and try to get the electrolytic in the holes. If it won't fit, put it on the trace side, too. Keep the leads as short as possible.

Lead-free solder has a higher melting point, so you need a hotter iron than for 60/40.

Last edited:
I would mount the ceramics on the trace side of the PCB, and try to get the electrolytic in the holes. If it won't fit, put it on the trace side, too. Keep the leads as short as possible.

"short as possible" yes, but what's possible is limited by the case design. Adding components on the trace side of this physically isn't feasible. There's just room for the trimmed component leads under there. I wonder whether the correct thing in this situation is to prioritize shortening the leads on just the ceramic so it can be down against the top of the board, because there is enough width for that, and as now, put the electrolytic in the closest place it will still fit.

I wonder whether the correct thing in this situation is to prioritize shortening the leads on just the ceramic

For best HF response, yes.

It looks like there's already a 1u film cap on the right hand side; that grey cuboid marked 106J100. Is that across pin4/gnd? If so, either don't bother with the 2u2, or remove the 1u and replace with the 2u2.

Those are good thoughts. It will be the weekend before I get another chance to dig in. Yeah it would be great to [capitalize on / deal with / get rid of / somehow move] the larger film cap, as it is what is in the way right now. I didn't check yet what it was connected to.

Quick followup. No new pictures to add at this point, but I found there was room on the trace side for the 0.1uf ceramic cap after all, just because it's situated next to the op-amp, which has enough gap between the rows of pins to allow the cap to tuck in there without hitting any component leads if folded that direction. The electrolytic 2.2uf ended up right about in the same place that it was. The cube cap is not in parallel with them, and I left it alone.

While I can't claim to distinguish between the configurations by ear, I'm happier to have the 0.1uf cap in a place consistent with the datasheet. Thanks for the tip.

Interesting. I have one of these as well, and think it sounds really good as is. The biggest improvement was adding a linear power supply. This totally gets rid of the harshness and 'congestion'. If your running a tube preamp-or running it through a tube buffer/preamp..this little guy sounds almost as good as a PCM 1794 BB DAC. The biggest thing with these Muse DAC's is get a good power supply. The Muse 4x TDA 1543 responds similar with a clean power supply. They actually are engineered with good parts, or good enough IMHO to sound very good-but they are only as good as their power supply-and the switching supply included seems to make both dacs sound harsher then they should.

The biggest improvement was adding a linear power supply. This totally gets rid of the harshness and 'congestion'.

You make me wonder how much of the effect from this particular op-amp roll comes down to it helping to clean up dirty rails at the output stage, via the filtering changes specified by TI - though it wouldn't be expected to help with the actual D/A part of course, and with jitter being added or whatever else might be in play there. Might be interesting to listen to it running off a battery for a while.

You make me wonder how much of the effect from this particular op-amp roll comes down to it helping to clean up dirty rails at the output stage, via the filtering changes specified by TI - though it wouldn't be expected to help with the actual D/A part of course, and with jitter being added or whatever else might be in play there. Might be interesting to listen to it running off a battery for a while.
Sure
The Muse TDA 4 x1543 Dac has a issue over heating with the 12 volt supplied power supply. I bought a Studer 2amp 9 volt power supply I use with it-and the PCM 1793. As I recall the PCM 1793 dac did run warm with the 12 volt supply.
For my set up, it was convince to swap them in and out using the same power supply.
I think a Jameco would work just fine as well. I came across the Studer for less then $20, other wise I would use a Jameco.

Back
Top Bottom