Method for 'removing' scratches from silver anodising?

steveUK

Does anyone know of a method to minimise (I won't say remove!) the appearance of scratches in sliver anodised finishes? For example the front panel of a Pioneer silver face amp?

I tried car polish on my SX 580 seems to help. Be careful of ink printed markings, the 580 markings are not printed on the face.

It's a top edge of a front panel so there's no legends there, just a strip of anodised metal about an inch wide where people have put things on top and it's left scratches.

I've found that Duplicolour make a pray paint that is designed and manufactured to perfectly match silver anodised parts such as window frames and hifi components. Not sure if it's available in the US, but for me in the UK I would have to import from Germany. So, paint costs £15 and shipping cost also £15. That's £30 ($35 - $40) for a can of paint. Still, if it fixes three or four sets that's not bad overall. It's called Duplicolour Eloxal.

I can post some tonite - Since the scratches were pretty deep, I had to be fairly aggressive. I clamped the face plate in a work mate with some foam pads to protect it. I used a block of wood slightly wider than the top of the faceplate. I started with 100 grit to get the scatches mostly out, then went up though 240, 500, 1000, 2000 and finally 2500. I then finished with some metal polish wadding. Didn't take too long, maybe 45 mins. to an hour. I don't think I will clear coat it, probably just put on some wax. Just make sure to sand back and forth the long way and it should come out OK.

No, but there are trade offs, It looks better than the scratches at any rate(IMO) - I've never heard of that Eloxal, so I can't say much about it - I'll look around and see if it's sold in the store. Try it on some scrap aluminum and see if does what it says.

No, sorry if my post seemed negative, I did try to ensure that it didn't come across that way, it does look much better for sure. The Duplicolour Eloxal does not appear to be easily available in the UK (where I am), I would have to import it from Germany, so not sure of the position in the US. Duplicolour may not even be represented there with the plethora of spray paint suppliers already there. If you go to that link and follow the other links to supporting pages 'Eloxal' does seem a great product that could well be what we 'vintage hifi enthusiasts' are looking for.

Yes, I see that, I'm in the US and it does not appear to be available here, looks like a Germany only product. I haven't bee able to find an equivalent either - sucks

I've a scratched Pioneer so following this. I also searched for this magical "Eloxal" paint here in the US but can't seem to find it (and Dupli-color is generally available). I did find a paint called "CRL Aluminum Match-Up Spray Paint" and it says it is for "touch up scratches or defects in duranodic or anodized aluminum finishes. Although it is not intended to replace those hard anodic architectural finishes, it is designed to correct or cover up coloring defects, scratches, or bare metal ends." Examples or reviews online are scarce. Anyone heard of it or tried it?

Funny, that Eloxal from what I can tell is made by Dupli-color - why not in the US, I duuno. There are lots of other anodized colors, just not silver. Maybe try an automotive silver, I find GM silver matches pretty close from a turntable I painted. wont have any brushed effect, if that is indeed what Eloxal does. but may give acceptable results. Just make sure to use an etching primer so it doesn't flake or peel

I've just done some further reading on this and it appears "eloxal coating" is another name for anodizing so this duplicolour paint is the same as the other aluminium paint coatings (like the CRL one I posted above) and all of them appear to be a paint coating that is aluminium anodized color and not some acidic or other process that mimics a genuine anodizing process. That's not to say they would not look OK (I've not seen them in action) - it's just that they are colored paints, not clear coats.
And here's a vid on how to sand aluminium to get a brushed effect and it the importance of sanding straight.

Last edited:
I've just done some further reading on this and it appears "aloxal coating" is another name for anodizing so this duplicolour paint is the same as the other aluminium paint coatings (like the CRL one I posted above) and all of them appear to be a paint coating that is aluminium anodized color and not some acidic or other process that mimics a genuine anodizing process. That's not to say they would not look OK (I've not seen them in action) - it's just that they are colored paints, not clear coats.
And here's a vid on how to sand aluminium to get a brushed effect and it the importance of sanding straight.

Yup, watched that video before I did mine

What it needs to look original is for the part to be sanded as per the video to remove any deep scratches etc, then sprayed with Eloxal paint to give it the required anodised appearance. My take on this is, if you restore the top edge of (say) a Pioneer front panel, you want it to match - as far as possible - the anodised finish on the front of the panel complete with the anodised appearance, you don't want it to look like two totally different finishes sitting next to each other on the same panel. A bare metal (or even clear lacquer sprayed), brushed finish does not have that 'pearly' look that anodised ali has. Hence my interest in Duplicolour Eloxal paint. I'm in the UK, I can buy it, but the paint will cost me £15, and the shipping from Germany will also cost £15, so around £30 all in ($40)). A lot of money for a can of spray paint. But.. looking at it another way, if that spray can is able to restore the top edges of front panels on four or five sets, then it's good value I reckon.

Last edited:
I would think you could do many, that specialty paint is always expensive. If you do it make sure to post some before and after pics

I've bit the bullet and ordered some from Germany off Ebay. I'll report back when I eventually get around to using it. Too many projects, too much modern stuff keep failing in the home..

Back
Top Bottom