MHA100 DAC question

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by RobFixter, Mar 17, 2017.

1. RobFixter

RobFixter Shhhh, just listen :)

So this is odd. I have a laptop that I use for a source to the USB input on the MHA100. When I play Jriver, or Roon through it it is fine. When I stop and try to play Spotify or Tidal nothing comes out. I think it has to do with the software (Jriver/Roon) taking control of the McIntosh driver. I have figured out a work around, which is not too bad, but I wish I didn't have to remember to do this each time.

This is what I have to do to make Spotify or Tidal work

Step 1: Quit Roon Bridge
    Step 2: Sound Control / Change default to speakers
    Step 3: McIntosh Control Panel / Change to 192,000
    Step 4: Sound Control Panel / Change default to McIntosh
    Step 5: Relaunch Roon Bridge <- Just so I don't forget

Once I do these steps it plays fine. I have repeated this over and over, it works every time. Anyone else experience any weird things like this?

Thanks,

Rob

Golucid likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Winterwolf

Winterwolf New Member

I have a similar problem:
    Windows only seems able to create an Audio device for 192kHz. Any sample rate below (like 44.1kHz) set by the Mc control panel will lead to a failed Audio device and therefore no Audio.

I have currently contacted customer support.

-- W

3. ron-c

ron-c AK Subscriber Subscriber

Rob,

In the McIntosh USB audio box check ASIO host can change. This will allow JR to play each song in its native rate. I usually leave the driver control box set to 16/44.1.
    It is obvious that you have it set to 32/192 which no music file will use natively.

What operating system are you using on the computer?

Thanks,
    Ron-C

4. Winterwolf

Winterwolf New Member

Thx for the reply.

Yes, USB ASIO Hosts can change box is checked. I encounter the problem in general and not with JR. If I want to play a Redbook CD at 16bit/44.1 and set the Audio to 44.1 sample rate in the MC USB Control app no sound is heard.

--W

5. Winterwolf

Winterwolf New Member

Sorry, did not see that you replied to Rob's problem :)

6. ron-c

16/44.1 is easy. Sounds like you have some issues with your computer.

Thanks,
    Ron-C

7. ron-c

You will also need to see how you have your data rate set up in the Windows 10 sound panel. If you lock a data rate in this then this will not allow changing data rates.

Thanks,
    Ron-C

8. Winterwolf

Winterwolf New Member

The data rate in Windows 10 Sound panel is grayed out for MC Device. I can only change it in MC Control panel. How do you lock it?

9. RobFixter

RobFixter Shhhh, just listen :)

I haven't really messed with this a lot lately. What I did do was set my PC to run everything through the Jriver windows driver at 24/192 and then when I play Spotify or anything else it up-samples it and works. Roon will change the bitrate as needed. So this is a good work around. I guess I could mess around with this a little bit more and see what else I can come up with.

Please register to disable this ad.