Michael Jackson "Thriller" - Anyone spun this recently?

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by onwardjames, Dec 31, 2018.

1. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Sitting here awaiting a dentist appointment on the last day of the year (got a spot on my tongue they're going to give a look-see, don't think it's anything serious) and I received a picture disc of "Thriller" from the maw-in-law.

Now, I already have an unopened copy that I recently opened and spun, but I figured I'd see if my aversion to picture discs is justified.

Yep, a little sibilant, and that low rumble I always hear on picture discs is also there, but not too bad.

Then I start to immerse myself in an album I know all too well, but haven't really listened to in years.

From Quincy Jones' production, to Eddie Van Halen's kickass solo in "Beat It" and throughout, that supremely talented singer MJ, I can see why this album was the biggest thing the 80's could offer.

Strange to say, but with the odd tics and mannerisms Michael used in his singing, he didn't actually need
    any gimmicks.
    He was a very talented singer, with a gift for infusing his singing with style and panache.

Anyway, it's literally 70 degrees here in Ky, tonight to drop to 45, so storms are here until after midnight, and I thought I'd share my very enjoyable ride on this classic.

Anyone else recently spun it??

WillVT, Leland47 and timmo like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JHS2RT

JHS2RT and Miss Sasha Subscriber

Spun mine 2 nights ago.

onwardjames likes this.
  3. RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ Here, But I'm Gone... Subscriber

Not unless I was DJing, so I'd say, a handful of times in the last couple of years (??)... :dunno:

The kids do apparently still go crazy for "Beat It" and "Thriller."

GJ

4. El Pee

El Pee AK Subscriber Subscriber

Classic.

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  5. The Fuxtor

The Fuxtor AK Subscriber Subscriber

I was never a fan back when it was released, but I have a copy on vinyl and really enjoy the production and sound quality! I like it much more for the music now too, good songs for sure!

ajward549 and BLAH BLAH like this.
  6. onwardjames

@JHS2RT and @El Pee good to see you guys chiming in, don't recall seeing you on the boards of late. Hope all is well.

7. Crazy Gnome

Crazy Gnome Addicted Member

Gets regular spins at the house on wax and CD. The CD is a special edition with bonus material. Highlight of the bonus material is Vincent Price and Michael doing there voice over with an unheard 2nd verse. My kids love Thriller. Timeless classic.

kirkendoll, DeeCee and onwardjames like this.
  8. onwardjames

@Crazy Gnome the grandson is particularly fond of "Beat It" and tends to dance up a storm when he hears it. He's 6 now, but was 3 when I first played it for him.

It is easy to get jaded about albums like this that have been so damned overplayed, but listening to it last night and this morning, I got it.

Easily Michael's best work, even tho "Off The Wall" and "Bad" were both tremendous.

timmo, DeeCee and Crazy Gnome like this.
  9. Crazy Gnome

Crazy Gnome Addicted Member

One of my earliest music memories is my Mom telling us he is on and my sisters and I running into the living room to dance to Beat It. I had to help my youngest sister she could barely walk. Now my kids request Michael frequently especially after his death. Amazing talent.

onwardjames likes this.
  10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Addicted Member

I've had difficulty with it for years.
    His real gem, IMO, is Off The Wall.

timmo and DeeCee like this.
  11. RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ Here, But I'm Gone... Subscriber

A different bag, almost, but yeah, that is a good dance/R&B album from that era. Nice gold lamme jacket, iirc as well...

GJ

12. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

No, but, by coincidence, I was describing for a few Frenchies the MTV "phenomenon" of the '80s in America and -- you already knew it -- "Thriller" came up in the discussion.

13. likebike23

likebike23 Super Member

I play Thriller pretty often. I think MJ's records sound great, really well recorded and pressed. I'm with Slick Willie though, Off The Wall is my favorite. Thriller is good but does anyone else cringe when you hear "PYT"? :no:

Grbluen and Slick Willie like this.
  14. DeeCee

DeeCee Super Member

I know I've played it one or twice within the last year. Well crafted, well sung. Amazing album with amazing talent!

15. Grbluen

Grbluen AK Subscriber Subscriber

@likebike23,
    I was going to say the same thing. Even before I was an "audiophile", I noticed the difference!

likebike23 and DeeCee like this.
  16. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

This is surely Quincy Jones' at his finest. Billie Jean is easily my favorite cut - about as dynamic as it gets from pop. I have early CD and LPs, which both sound just stunning in every way. It's been a while since I spun either though.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018

17. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

18. daveg3588

daveg3588 Toy addict Subscriber

Always for Halloween, Quincy Jones production masterpiece.

19. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

I played the Video for my two Grandsons about a month ago. They thought it was pretty cool.

onwardjames likes this.
  20. Johnno_Oz

Johnno_Oz AK Subscriber Subscriber

I never knew Toto had a big part to play on this album until recently.

Ds2000 likes this.