Micro Seiki DD-40 Tungsten Wire

tubed

Lunatic Member
Hello,
I have a Micro Seiki DD-40 turntable in nice working condition that is until I broke the tungsten tracking force wire on its 505 tonearm.
I'm sick too death and hoping an Ak'er can direct me to obtaining or fabricating a facsimile of the wire.
Thanks.

Never seen one, but if you can measure the wire with micrometers it should be possible to buy more. Maybe from Goodfellow- http://www.goodfellow.com/E/Tungsten-Wire.html
Thanks for the reply, Conrad.
I'm no longer in possession of the wire so I can't make any measurements, the length seems as if it would be important also, maybe moreso?
The wire was made with tiny terminations, a loop to attach to a tensioner spring and one for the set crew on the tracking reel.
I can't believe I destroyed this while cleaning!!!

Why in the world would it have had to be tungsten? BTW, there are probably cheaper places than Goodfellow.

Why in the world would it have had to be tungsten? BTW, there are probably cheaper places than Goodfellow.
I found some fine copper wire and connected it up.
It's playing music now but I'm not so sure as to how well although it does sound good.
The original wire seemed more like very fine stranded wire even thread-like.
There is something called tungsten thread used in tying fishing lures.
IMG_1368.JPG

Sorry to hear about the wire. I have a MA 505 an worry about that.

Try doing a search on "corona copier wire tungsten". Fairly common part for copiers.

Sorry to hear about the wire. I have a MA 505 an worry about that.

Try doing a search on "corona copier wire tungsten". Fairly common part for copiers.

If you don't try and polish to tonearm with a dremel , you probably shouldn't worry too much:)

I was able to substitute the tungsten wire for a temporary fix, perhaps longer.
The hardest part was removing the back access cap which was glued in and requires a two-pronged srewdriver.
I will search for corona wire and miniature crimp-on terminals, maybe from a jewelry/hobby site, so the wire can be "attached".
Man, the DD-40 was working nicely and totally original until I had to make it prettier.

I'm assuming that you found the service manual on vinylengine that describes replacing the wire.

This very nice one popped up on the net and saved by bacon.
http://www.micro-seiki.nl/database/DD-40 Service Manual.pdf

I'm sure this manual will help me to dial this table in to a much better degree as well as I hope I can figure out how to get the tonearm lift to function better.

What's wrong with the lift? I had one of these tables awhile back ... I had to fabricate a new lift cause it basically separated at the screw head that holds the crescent shaped arm rest to the lifter rod

Unable to help without knowing what the "miniature wire terminals" looks like. :idea:
Something like this for the hook onto spring load.
Same thing for the front, sans the "hoop", just something to crimp on the other end of the wire to provide the tracking force set screw some bite.
We are talking tiny:)
il_214x170.927744486_g6q1.jpg

What's wrong with the lift? I had one of these tables awhile back ... I had to fabricate a new lift cause it basically separated at the screw head that holds the crescent shaped arm rest to the lifter rod
The lift doesn't provide enough lift.
Perhaps a damping fluid issue or the lift height needs to be adjusted?

The lift doesn't provide enough lift.
Perhaps a damping fluid issue or the lift height needs to be adjusted?

The arm has a few ways to adjust the height of the lift. One thing you got to mindful of is the dimensions of your cartridge/head shell... When I owned this table I noticed that switching head shells and cartridges would force me to mess with the tonearm lift height -- once you get it working though I doubt you'll have to mess with the heights any more.

There's a tiny screw on the tonearm wand, if memory serves me correct. The screw on the wand goes all the way through the wand and should be covered in a rubber material (it tends to disintegrate over time so it may just be bare metal) -- that's the part that actually his the crescent shaped tonearm lift paddle. I believe you can adjust the tonearm lift position this way.

OR -- you can move the tonearm lifter rod up and down slightly. This is a horizontally orientated screw near the tonearm lift mechanism.

OR -- you can adjust the tonearm height via the allen wrench port near the base of the tonearm assembly.

Hope this helps.

Something like this for the hook onto spring load.
Same thing for the front, sans the "hoop", just something to crimp on the other end of the wire to provide the tracking force set screw some bite.
We are talking tiny:)

You may have to custom fabricate or adopt some other item to suit.....:dunno:

Back
Top Bottom