Micromega cd players

KenP

Does anyone here have a micromega stage series cd player? I've got two of them (stage1) one works the other doesn't I've tried all the greasing tricks and still no luck getting it to work. Everytime a disk goes in I get an error. The other player works without a problem. I've tried swapping boards from one to the other but they are not the same internally. Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe it's the simplest of things:

Try cleaning the lens using a Q tip. Rub it against the lens DRY. It worked for me on my cxar stereo that didn't read a thing, as well as on some of my friend's minisystems' CD players that wouldnt read anything.

Chris

My condolences

I used to have a Micromega Stage 3.

What a POS !!!
These things do not have a good rep for longevity or hassle free ownership.

This thing broke down four times, each time discs would not initalize. The red indicator panel would stare unblinkingly like HAL from 2001.

Fixed under warranty, but even then it kept crapping out.
Eventually they got tired of fixing it and replaced the entire thing.

The replacement also crapped out twice, similar problem plus sometimes it wouldn't switch on out of standby.
Third repair did the trick, though I never found out exactly what they did but I suspect they used upgraded parts from the Stage 4/5/6 series.

The players sounds pretty good but like most things French it will drive you to distraction with it's idiosyncrasies and breakdowns.

At least you have one still working

:)

cheerio

I bought the first on ebay for $100. that one worked but no remote, so I bought another for $50 with the remote. For the second one the guy said it didn't work so I figured it was a problem with the drive like everyone says. Wrong I've swapped drives between them and both drives work, so the problem is on one of the boards. I even tried to swap the chip from one to the other with no luck (one is version 1.3 the other is version 2.4). They sound really good but not wonder people don't like them. Do you still have yours? Wanna sell it?

Too late !

I gave mine away a couple of years ago.

The remote was awful, too many buttons, all the same shape and size.

Luckily it used common Philips RC-5 codes, so I used the remote with my Krell amp.

Funnily enough the Stage players used Philips transports which generally are pretty reliable.

It must be the cranky French implementation that screwed things up.

:dunno:

Last I heard Micromega had given up entirely on making Cd players.

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom